+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just who is obnoxious on 'FiancÚ'?

Just who is obnoxious on 'FiancÚ'?

Just who is obnoxious on 'FiancÚ'?

Jan. 26, 2004 12:00 AM

The first problem with My Big Fat Obnoxious FiancÚ, though far from the only one, is the title.

It's misleading. The big fat fiancÚ isn't the obnoxious one. Randi Coy, the former teacher from Scottsdale trying to pull off a fake whirlwind marriage, fills that role for both of them. Steven Bailey - big, fat, etc. - has an excuse.

At least he's acting.

The premise of the show is that Coy and Bailey will split $1 million if they can get their parents, friends and families to sit through their "wedding" without objection. But the joke's on Coy. Bailey is actually playing the role of an obnoxious guy, trying to drive Coy and everyone else crazy with his behavior.

That's another problem. Let's give Bailey the big fat part - he could definitely stand to lay off the doughnuts - but even when he's breaking pots or screaming at rich neighbors or swigging wine from the bottle while displacing water in a hot tub with his massive girth, Bailey comes off as kind of a sweet guy. If he elicits anything, it's pity - the kind of pity reserved for guys like John Candy or John Belushi in movies where the fat guy is trying, however ineptly, to win the hot babe. And if, as in this case, the audience knows the hot babe is simply in it for the money, then all the better for him.

Coy, meanwhile, reacts as if Bailey's set himself on fire every time he so much as burps. And, in a reality-dating show staple, she cried on camera last week and moaned about how she didn't know if she could go through with the whole thing.

If only.

This isn't good for the show. We're supposed to laugh at Bailey, not with him. We're supposed to be mortified, if amused, by his behavior, not recognize it as a comic type. (Some of us may even recognize it as familiar behavior from personal experience, but that's another story.) And we're supposed to like Coy, root for her.

What am I saying? What could be good for this show? Or bad? Reality shows like this don't concern themselves with critical judgments such as "good" and "bad." Moral judgments, either. There is no morality.

What there is, and there's a gracious plenty, is greed. And it's not just a money thing, though that's the first and most obvious conclusion. The greed extends to a desperate grab at some sort of fleeting TV fame. Failing that, notoriety will do.

Coy made news last week by choosing not to return to her job as a teacher at a Catholic grade school, which she bailed on after working there for a couple of months.

Well, no kidding. Anyone surprised by that? Say hi to Santa Claus and the tooth fairy.

When talking to TV critics recently, Coy said all the right things.

"I mean, it was just an ultimate practical joke," she said. "That's what it was."

She also talked about how she wanted to go back to teaching, but how she was young, wanted the experience, all that. Anyone who heard her couldn't mistake what it sounded like she was saying between the lines: Get me to Hollywood, now.

Prediction: No stardom. But Playboy layout by August (at least an offer). Does that count?

Then again, more than 21 million people watched the Big Fat Obnoxious debut. But that was with an American Idol lead-in, something it won't enjoy this time around. We'll write the big number off to curiosity. All well and good. There's no way that many people will watch again tonight.

But if they do? Now that would be obnoxious.
    http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...26goody26.html

You bring up a really good point. After watching for a few minutes last nite, I was rooting for Steve. Randi comes off as a greedy, full of herself princess, who has never had to struggle in her life until now. And that's just for a grab at half a mil. She doesn't care how upset her parents will be, she doesn't really care about Steve--just that he may "fall" for her, and that just wouldn't do.

Randi is the one who disgusts me. She is so stuck on herself!! At least Steve is having fun, which is what Randi should be doing. Right? I mean, half a mil is alot of money, but have fun earning it. And, instead of her being so into making Steve act a little better, she needs to take her own advise if she is going to pull this off. She is the one who makes it unbelievable!

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by milly
    Randi is the one who disgusts me. She is so stuck on herself!! At least Steve is having fun, which is what Randi should be doing. Right? I mean, half a mil is alot of money, but have fun earning it. And, instead of her being so into making Steve act a little better, she needs to take her own advise if she is going to pull this off. She is the one who makes it unbelievable!

I couldn't get over how she kept saying "I think he's falling for me" I was on her side until last night. Jeez, just have fun trying to get the $$$.

I agree with milly. Randi comes out with a list of things Steve needs to do in order to pull off the scam. But even though he's obnoxious, he's still doing a better job of pretending than she is. He's calling her pet names and kissing her when they're in front of other people. This is what would really happen if two people were in love. If she really wants to win any money, she needs to give herself a list of changes to make. She told her friend Anna all kinds of wonderful things about Steve, but I'm betting that when he joins the dinner next week, Randi won't act like she even likes him. Anna won't fall for it and neither will anyone else.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

I agree with Milly too. Hopefully, this will bring her down a notch or two to reality, because she is sadly mistaken if she thinks she can control how a man acts in public, in love for real or not. Also, she ought to know by now, that any time you nag or complain to a man about something, they just keep on doing it. She will get what ever she deserves. I hope that her Dad objects and she doesn't get the money. Steve should get her money in that case. Go Steve. Drive her crazy, and tell her you have decided that you don't like the Asian chicks - you want her.

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar
    I agree as well. I'm rooting for Steve all the way.

I just can't like Randi, she needs to get over herself. From the previews though, she does get her snottiness (is that a word?) from her family. They seem to be all just like her.

I have to admit that if I was in Randi's position, I would act the same way. Well, almost. I mean, he is totally inappropriate. Who would smile while their fiance spit out food in front of the cook---it is downright rude. Just my opinion, but I can't blame her...

She doesn't have to really like him. She's not going to really marry him. Her job is simply to pretend she likes him, and she's not even trying to do that.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

FORT Fogey
    I have to agree. My main motivation for watching is Steve. I think Randi is coming across as a total snob, and Steve seems much more likeable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast