+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teacher ripped for reality TV role

Teacher ripped for reality TV role

Teacher ripped for reality TV role

The Arizona Republic

SCOTTSDALE - Randi Coy, the unwitting "star" of a Fox reality series that debuted last night, is in hot water with the school where she teaches.
    Last summer, between graduating from Arizona State University and beginning life as first-grade teacher at Pope John XXIII Catholic School Community, Coy, 23, attended an open casting call in Scottsdale.

She wound up in "My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance," produced by Rocket Science Laboratories ("Joe Millionaire," "Temptation Island"). Coy interrupted her first year of teaching at Thanksgiving break to begin taping the show. She remains on leave.

The show's producers led Coy to believe she was a contestant for a million-dollar prize. Producers picked Coy and a man named "Steve" as finalists.

For Coy to win, she needed to convince her family that she met, fell in love with and planned to marry "Steve" without revealing that their pairing is a farce.

But "Steve," his friends and family were actors, paid to sabotage the staged wedding.

Coy's boss, Principal Bill Langley, sent a letter to parents, alerting them to Coy's leave and upcoming TV appearance.

The school's mission statements vow to teach students to become Christian leaders and responsible citizens, which might come into conflict with marrying a stranger on television for money.

"You can't be teaching and do a show like that," Langley said.

Coy, promoting the show for Fox on Friday in Los Angeles, said, "I'm not going to lie. I thought I was doing the ultimate practical joke, but then again, the joke was on me.

"I'm taking it day by day... . I definitely have some resentment."

Coy said she wants to go back to her teaching job.

"I'm young, and I did this for the experience, and who knows what's going to happen?" she said.
    http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/index.p...big_fat_fiance

although i find this show funny as hell (still laughing about it today), i would fire her too if i was in charge

as with alot of jobs, i'm sure there is some kind of "morality" clause somewhere in her employee handbook (especially if she is teaching young kids)

"I'm young, and I did this for the experience, and who knows what's going to happen?"

what experience? this is not the peace corps...

all she is saying is that "for the right amount of money, i'll do anything..."

i'm just glad the joke was on her

FORT Newbie
    they must have giveing her alot of money if she is doing public aperences for the show. i hope her famly was paid alot too. she can get another teaching job.

A teacher at a Catholic school never should have done this if she wanted to keep her job. But then, maybe she has already decided that it wasn't for her.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

FORT Newbie
    it was her 1st year and pvt school teachers make less then public school teachers do

FORT Newbie
    But, how much did FOX REALLY tell her about the premise of the show BEFORE she signed teh contract????

While the producers might not have told her the specifics of the contest, the contract she signed must have had the standard reality-TV show clause: "Contestants will allow the producers to show them in any light--negative and otherwise." Surely after seeing other reality shows she must have known that she could end up doing something inappropriate for a Catholic school teacher. She can't have been that anxious to teach, IMO, if she was willing to take a risk by appearing on such a TV show.
    Last edited by pillbeam; 01-21-2004 at 10:47 AM.

LG.
    she was also told on the first episode that she would need to convince her family that she was getting married to some guy she'd never met, and go through with a fake wedding, and then met the guy and right there on camera, agreed to do it to try to win the money. Sure, she didn't know that Steve was an actor paid to act like a jerk, but she did know that she was going to be getting a fake marriage to a guy she found repulsive. She could have walked out right then, but didn't.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Why does her being a teacher make her ineligible to be on a reality show? What does one have to do with the other? If she can teach, then who cares if she goes on a reality show? I don't see the controversy.

LemonDrop, it certainly doesn't make you ineligible, but it SHOULD be cause for a pause for reflection.

As a teacher, like it or not, you are expected to uphold a certain moral code. Having your life played out on television on a reality show pretty much guarantees that you're going to do SOMETHING that violates that moral code.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast