+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teacher ripped for reality TV role

FORT Fogey
    Oh, thanks guys, for the good wishes! It is most definitely hard to do. But if I am going to work in the classroom, I can't smoke during the day, so, if I can go that long, I can go the rest of the day. I think. I am trying...I want to be a good role model for the "young'uns"

For being a teacher she should have realized that it could hurt her image. I think someone that is not presented in the public would have been a better pick, but then the show wouldn't be as watchable.
    Looks like it's gonna be a long week

I'm very proud of my favorite FORTER , keep up the the good job of quitting. many rewards will come to you for doing so
    All the world needs a common thread, soccer, soccer, soccer
    TASAIL !!! ETHAN still #1!!! DISC Go Jon & Kris on TAR

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    HA! The Catholic (ex) NUNS that taught in our school had no qualms with cracking us kids around with a ruler, hand or whatever was near them. Think about it....

Way back when: Kids could get practically beat down for being an ass. The teachers could use their own discretion.
    Today: Kids can shoot the teacher, but godforbid the teacher lights up in public.

I say "who cares?" Good for her for making a decision to do what SHE wants, and NOT be "locked" in a job. Kudos to her imho.
    Where I work, out of curiosity..I asked my boss "What if I was accepted to be on Survivor?" She said she could only have my job available for 30 days, after that I'd be fired. I wouldn't be leaving my work in a bind either...to me, I think...man, that totally sucks, and I think it's unfair. There should be a "reality show" clause in all workplaces... like... "If you are accepted on a reality show, we will not judge you or fire you...take all the time you need."
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Fan
    Wow, what state is that? I can see the part about not smoking, but it seems odd that a teacher couldn't have a glass of wine with her dinner at a restaurant. I would think it would be only a small percentage of schools which would try to enforce a rule like this, but maybe I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMe007
    Oh yes teachers are held to a very high code of ethics. A very good friend of mine is a teacher, and she can't drink or smoke in public. If the parents of one of her students saw her out and didn't like the fact that she had a drink in her hand she could be fired. If it was me it would make no difference, but there are many people out there that would care. Especially considering she taught at a private school.

IMO - even though I don't really like her - I can't see that she has done anything that would warrant losing her job over. Maybe later something will happen on the show that she will have to answer for, but for now, I can't see as how being snobbish would make you lose your job.

Great job Scarlett530, and good luck with quitting smoking.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie
    IMO - even though I don't really like her - I can't see that she has done anything that would warrant losing her job over. Maybe later something will happen on the show that she will have to answer for, but for now, I can't see as how being snobbish would make you lose your job.

Great job Scarlett530, and good luck with quitting smoking.
    Thanks I pulled out my Code of Ethics to see if she would actually be violating any here in Florida. So far, the only one I could see that she may be pushing would be, "Aware of the importance of maintaining the respect and confidence of one's colleagues, of students, of parents, and of other members of the community, the educator strives to achieve and sustain the highest degree of ethical conduct." Even that one is pretty vague. Of course, that is for Florida, and each state has its own particulars, and private schools are stricter. Maybe a glass of wine or a public cigarette would not get any teacher fired, but accepting the role of a teacher carries with it the implied acceptance of portraying a high level of personal morals and values. Just for fun, I found these rules....

RULES FOR TEACHERS 1872

1. Teachers each day will fill lamps, clean chimneys.

2. Each teacher will bring a bucket of water and a scuttle of coal for the day’s session.

3. Make your pens carefully. You may whittle nibs to the individual taste of the pupils.

4. Men teachers may take one evening each week for courting purposes, or two evenings a week if they go to church regularly.

5. After ten hours in school, the teachers may spend the remaining time reading the Bible or other good books.

6. Women teachers who marry or engage in unseemly conduct will be dismissed.

7. Every teacher should lay aside from each pay a goodly sum of his earnings for his benefit during his declining years so that he will not become
    a burden on society.

8. Any teacher who smokes, uses liquor in any form, frequents pool or public halls, or gets shaved in a barber shop will give good reason to suspect his worth, intention, integrity and honesty.

9. The teacher who performs his labor faithfully and without fault for five years will be given an increase of twenty-five cents per week in his pay, providing the Board of Education approves.

Good thing times have changed, huh?

Originally Posted by Lynne
    Wow, what state is that?
    I live in Tennessee. It is all public schools around here. The private schools are even more strict. I think it is pretty crazy as well, but they still do it. The only way they can really get in trouble for it though is if they run in to someone that they work with, or one of their students parents.

Originally Posted by scarlett530
    6. Women teachers who marry or engage in unseemly conduct will be dismissed.
    Look out Trishelle.
    It really is a good thing the rules have changed. I would hate for you to have to fill lamps or clean chimneys.

FORT Fan
    That's interesting SassyMe -- thanks for responding. I live in New England and should ask a teacher friend of mine if she would have any qualms about having a glass of wine or other alcoholic beverage while she's out in public, or if the issue has ever been raised at her school (just out of curiosity).

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMe007
    I live in Tennessee. It is all public schools around here. The private schools are even more strict. I think it is pretty crazy as well, but they still do it. The only way they can really get in trouble for it though is if they run in to someone that they work with, or one of their students parents.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast