+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teacher ripped for reality TV role

Teaching doesn't make you ineligible for a reality show, but being on a reality show might make you be ineligible to teach - especially very young kids, and extra-special-especially at a Catholic school.

Think of it this way - you are a staunch Catholic and hold marriage in high regard, and you have a 1st grader. You find out your kid's teacher made a mockery of marriage by pretending to go through one for money, and humiliated her parents in the process. Do you yank your kid out of that school? Do you complain to the principal? Dang right you do.

I guess my question is, what is she doing wrong? She's not sleeping with him. She's not marrying him. She's not even KISSING him! So far all I have seen is a young, smart cutie-patootie blonde being ....really on her best behavior with someone who is really trying to be obnoxious.

And who says a catholic school teacher can't go on a reality show? It would be different if it was one where they were to strut around in swim suits like on "Paradise Hotel" and trying to do the musical bed thing but she's not doing that is she?

I'm a conservative card-carrying Republican mother of two grown kids who have done far crazier things than Randi! How odd to be on this side of the argument. But carry on.... I'll admire her from afar!

My daughter just informed that Extra just reported she quit her teaching job because of conflicts with the show, she couldn't do both.

Goodbye to High Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    My daughter just informed that Extra just reported she quit her teaching job because of conflicts with the show, she couldn't do both.
    My assumption is that she and her family got the $500,000 so she should be able to take a break for a couple of years from work. Even if someone objected at the wedding ceremony to her getting married, they'd still probably have to give her the money.

The premise of the show, from her viewpoint, assumes that the show's producers would not try to sabotage her efforts (e.g., by having Steve try to make things as difficult as possible for her). There might be legal problems if she went all the way and the producers gave her nothing.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    LemonDrop, it certainly doesn't make you ineligible, but it SHOULD be cause for a pause for reflection.

As a teacher, like it or not, you are expected to uphold a certain moral code. Having your life played out on television on a reality show pretty much guarantees that you're going to do SOMETHING that violates that moral code.
    That is very true, John. As a matter of fact, that is one of the first things they explained to us as student teachers. We have a very strong code of ethics, and being a teacher automatically puts you in a posistion of having to follow that higher moral code--especially women, especially teachers of young children, like it or not. It's not always "fair", but it's part of the territory and something you understand from the beginning. In our society, teachers have to be extrememely careful about what they say or do in the classroom as well as in "real life." I am sure she knew the possible ramifications before she agreed to be on the show.

The word came down today, that she has resigned her job rather than return to work (or at the very least, be subject to being fired).

Oh yes teachers are held to a very high code of ethics. A very good friend of mine is a teacher, and she can't drink or smoke in public. If the parents of one of her students saw her out and didn't like the fact that she had a drink in her hand she could be fired. If it was me it would make no difference, but there are many people out there that would care. Especially considering she taught at a private school.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMe007
    Oh yes teachers are held to a very high code of ethics. A very good friend of mine is a teacher, and she can't drink or smoke in public. If the parents of one of her students saw her out and didn't like the fact that she had a drink in her hand she could be fired. If it was me it would make no difference, but there are many people out there that would care. Especially considering she taught at a private school.
    I know, I just quit smoking....partly because of paranoia that one of my "kids" would bump into me, lighting up...

Quote Originally Posted by scarlett530
    I know, I just quit smoking....partly because of paranoia that one of my "kids" would bump into me, lighting up...
    CONGRATULATIONS on quitting smoking!! And GOOD LUCK!!
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Oh wow, Congrats Scarlett530. I have given up on quitting for now. Too much stress. I don't think I could handle working somewhere that dictated what I could or couldn't do on my time off. It most definately takes a special person.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast