+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fox's Big Fat Reality Mishmash

Fox's Big Fat Reality Mishmash

Fox's Big Fat Reality Mishmash

Wed Dec 31, 2:10 AM ET
    By Sarah Hall
    E! Online

A reality riddle from the folks at Fox: What would happen if you crossed The Bachelorette with Average Joe, then added a dash of The Joe Schmo Show?

Answer: My Big Fat Obnoxious Fianc, the latest in televised reality wedding fiascos with-a-twist.

Dubbed the "ultimate practical joke" by the network, the six-episode, partially scripted series is Fox's answer to ABC's saccharine but high-rated Trista and Ryan's Wedding.

At first glance, the show's premise seems familiar: Randi, a comely 23-year-old schoolteacher, is a bride-to-be whose wedding buildup will be followed by a camera crew for full disclosure.

But it's there that the similarities to Trista's cotton-candy themed nuptials come to a screeching halt.

Because Steve, Randi's hubby-to-be, isn't a hunky Ryan Sutter-type--on the contrary, he's a mother-in-law's nightmare: unattractive, unappealing and altogether undesirable. And, up to the point she learns of her daughter's engagement, Steve's future mother-in-law is totally unaware that he exists at all.

In the series premiere, Randi is charged with announcing her surprise wedding plans to suitably horrified family and friends and introducing them to the ghastly Steve.

Enter the first twist: Randi's not really marrying Steve--but if she can convince her nearest and dearest that she is indeed tying the knot, she'll win a million dollars. That means going through all the motions--meeting with the wedding planner, enduring a bridal dinner, sitting through a rehearsal dinner and even exchanging "I do's."

But even Randi's not fully in the know--which brings up twist number two. The so-called bride-to-be is under the impression that her faux intended is pulling the same fast one on his family that she is, with the end goal of receiving a cash prize.

In fact, Steve and his "family" are all professional actors, straining their improvisational skills to the limit to keep up with the "real" world action. All of this trickery falls within Fox's framework for the most intense practical joke ever televised.

The series premieres January 19 and takes the slot vacated by the ill-fated Fox drama, Skin.

Meanwhile, in the traditional reality-programming world, ABC's formula for taking one attractive eligible and inundating him or her with a host of desirable singles seems to have finally paid off in the case of Trista and Ryan.

After the network paid for the duo's multi-million dollar wedding extravaganza, the newlyweds honeymooned at an exclusive island resort before returning to their Colorado hideaway.

The Sutters will make their next public appearance this Thursday, when they are scheduled to adorn the FTD float at the annual Tournament of Roses Parade in Pasadena, California.

sounds like something FOX would come up with...

Wish I Had A FF Right Now Jughead Jones's Avatar
    American Idol...wonderful idea.

The Simple Life...refreshing idea.

Joe Millionaire...a novelty

Paradise Hotel...HUH???

Temptation Island...See Paradise Hotel

Mr. Personality...stupid...especia lly the host who had as much personality as a doorknob.

This show just sounds like garbage.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    How sad that "reality t.v." has to come to this.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I am surprised Fox honchos greenlighted this thing. It has disaster written all over it.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    How sad that "reality t.v." has to come to this.

At this time...I have changed my mind regarding this show. I think it's going to provide laughter for me. I like to see people squirm, and this family is going to definately squirm. I still don't understand how they didn't know that something was up though. What a nimrod family to fall for it, imho.

I think it's REFRESHING that FINALLY they've announced that there are actors/actresses on the show.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I saw a new preview for this and he picks something up and smashes it on the ground and yells "oops" I was laughing so hard when I saw this...and he is in nothing but tighty whities.

Is Steve actually Rick Rockwell a couple of years later?

It just occurred to me that Steve and Randi are doppel-gangers for Darva Conger and Rick Rockwell from the original obnoxious superficial wedding fiasco on FOX. Could Steve actually be Rick Rockwell a couple of years later?

yet another great caricature by Getreal.

I wondered if the people that were following Joe Schmo would show up on this thread...

Homer

+ Reply to Thread