+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

Re: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

So let's try, try again. I have mentioned before that AM radio back in the day was the place to listen to anything, all type of music, all day long, all on the same station. Here is an example. All of the songs below first hit the Billboard Charts on February 17, 1958 and all of them hit the Top10 or higher. And they couldn't be more different.

This really was quite the incredible & I must say unusual week of big hit singles all making their debut at the same time.

A Wonderful Time Up There – Pat Boone

This song climbs all the way to #4 for Pat. It was written by Lee Roy Abernathy. The song also hits #2 in the UK.

This was the 2nd of 5 singles in a row for Pat that got to #7 or higher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjBRSkP9S9A

Good Golly Miss Molly – Little Richard

This song will eventually have 3 different versions that chart, but the other two will happen in the mid 60’s (Swinging Blue Jeans 1964, Mitch Ryder 1966). The song was written by Otis Blackwell & John Marascalsco & Richard will have the 2nd most popular version even though he hits #10. This will be the final Top 10 hit for Richard.

Otis Blackwell was also the writer of such hits as Peggy Lee's "Fever" (the song ins in the Grammy Hall Of Fame), Jerry Lee Lewis' "Great Balls of Fire" and "Breathless", Elvis Presley's "Don't Be Cruel", "All Shook Up" and "Return to Sender"

The two writers together also wrote other hits for Little Richard including "Ready Teddy", and "Rip It Up"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ6akiGRcL8

Are You Sincere – Andy Williams

There will be two versions of this song to land but the other one doesn’t happen until 1965 (Trini Lopez). This will be the bigger of the two by a country mile as it is going to spend 17 weeks on the charts & climb to #3. Wayne Walker was the writer of this one.

Wayne Walker originally released his version in 1957, but it failed to chart. Elvis recorded it in 1973 & it was released as a single after his death & it hit #10 on the Country Chart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx4XvFp_pHI

Sweet Little Sixteen – Chuck Berry

Here is another single that will chart twice with the two versions coming years apart, 1958 & 1962 (Jerry Lee Lewis) & miles apart on the charts. Chuck gets to #2 & Jerry Lee Lewis will struggle to a 95 finish. Chuck wrote the song himself.

This was Chuck’s 2nd biggest hit single topped only by My Ding A Ling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLV4NGpoy_E

Oh-Oh I’m Falling In Love Again – Jimmie Rodgers

The song will go to #7 for Jimmie & stick around for 15 weeks. It was written by Dick Manning, Al Hoffman & Mark Markwell. The song gets to #5 on the Country Charts & #19 in the UK.
    Each of his first 3 singles hit the Top 10 on both the Pop & Country Charts & this was the first one to not hit the Top 10 on the R&B Chart (#19).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqNAEDzFqY4
    Miss Scarlet likes this.

Who is that lady singing with Pat? Is that his wife? Pat was such a heart throb. I later really liked his singing daughters, especially, Debbie Boone, who recorded one of the more memorable songs of all time. You Light Up My Life! I think that is a single that I wore slam out. lol I thought she was so beautiful and that she had such a great voice. She and a couple of her sisters dated some of the Osmond Brothers, back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b07-yKnKRMQ

Loved the song, Good Golly Miss Molly and practically anything by Little Richard. I do wonder about the lyrics of that song though. How was it accepted during that time? I've always thought that the lyrics were rather salacious. Maybe, it's just me. lol

Love Chuck Berry too. I actually saw him live at a festival back in the 90's. From what I've read, he's still performing!

I wasn't familiar with Jimmie Rodgers. Here is today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aySlePJT-XE

This is very amusing. It seems that in 1967, Jimmie suffered mysterious, traumatic, head injuries, though he had no memory how he sustained them. It's believed he was beaten by a police officer.

In 1973 Rodgers elected to accept a $200,000 settlement from the Los Angeles City Council, which voted to give him the money rather than to incur the costs and risks of further court action.[12] Rodgers and his supporters still believe that one or more of the police officers beat him, although other observers find the evidence inconclusive.[13][14] In his 2010 biography "Me, the Mob, and the Music," singer Tommy James wrote that Morris Levy, the Mafia-connected head of Roulette Records, had arranged the attack. All of Rodgers' most successful singles had been released by Roulette.[15]
    See details here.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmie...s_(pop_singer)

Debb,

You Light Up My Life is ranked as the 28th biggest single of all time. It spent 10 weeks at #1 in 1977. It was also her only Top 40 hit single.

That story on Jimmie Rodgers is one of the wildest in rock history. It has never been solved, but when the LAPD pays him off, perhaps that's a bit of a smoking gun?

PS: Anyone care to make a guess about the biggest hit single & the #1 rated song of all time?

I'm going to take a stab at naming the biggest hit single and the #1 rated song of all time. I assume they are not one and the same. Anyway, I'm going to guess without doing any independent checking. (NO GOOGLE.) You'll have to take my word for it, but, I'll probably be wrong, so, there you go. lol

I would guess that the biggest hit single of all time would be: Thriller by Michael Jackson. (Was the name of the single or album? Oh well, it's the song where he dances with monsters.)

The # rated song of all time: I'd guess, White Christmas or Amazing Grace.

Let us us the answer.

Oooo. Nope, the #1 biggest song in history with 18 freaking weeks at the top of the charts is Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls. Thriller peaked at #4 by the way

Oh, okay. Man, that song was soooooo overplayed. I liked it, but omg. Too much.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_(Goo_Goo_Dolls_song)

I knew that I had heard something about White Christmas. I think maybe I was right. lol
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Christmas_(song)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Oooo. Nope, the #1 biggest song in history with 18 freaking weeks at the top of the charts is Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls. Thriller peaked at #4 by the way
    I had to look this one up on YouTube. I couldn't believe a song I'd never heard of was the biggest song in history. Then I heard it. Remembered it instantly. I just didn't remember the name. I can see why it's #1.
    What year was it a hit in? Maybe I don't want to know. It will make me feel old. It had to be from back when Rock music was still good.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I had to look this one up on YouTube. I couldn't believe a song I'd never heard of was the biggest song in history. Then I heard it. Remembered it instantly. I just didn't remember the name. I can see why it's #1.
    What year was it a hit in? Maybe I don't want to know. It will make me feel old. It had to be from back when Rock music was still good.
    Iris was a hit in 1999. Here is something to make you feel better on the age thing......or not....Let's take a look at the All Time Top 10 #1 Hit Singles.

1) Iris - The Goo Goo Dolls ...18 weeks #1 in 1999
    2) Don't Speak - No Doubt....16 weeks #1 1996
    3) One Sweet Day - Mariah Carey & Boyz To Men ....16 weeks #1 1995
    4) Macarena - Los Del Rio....14 weeks #1 1996 (this is also the #1 biggest "Foreign Single" of all time)
    5) We Belong Together - Mariah Carey 14 weeks #1 2005
    6) I'll Make Love To You - Boyz To Men...14 weeks #1 1994
    7) Candle In The Wind - Elton John...14 weeks #1 1997...The Princess Diana Tribute version...not the Marilyn Monroe tribute version
    8) I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston....14 weeks #1 1992
    9) End Of The Road - Boyz To Men ....13 weeks #1 1992
    10) The Boy Is Mine - Brandy & Monica ....13 weeks #1 1998

As you can see, these are all pretty recent.

Back in the early days of radio, there was a lot more churning & burning going on. There were many times an artist would have more than one song on the charts at the same time & I have even seen many instances where an artist had more than one single debut on the charts during the same week. That was also when artist were contractually obligated to put out at least 2 albums in a year as well as 2 singles per album. So there was just no time for a song to stick around for very long because it was always being replaced by the next best thing from the same artist. That certainly isn't the case anymore. Now days artists go 2,3 or even more years between albums & have 4,5 or even more singles from the same album. So the labels have to go for longevity to keep the music & the artist viable & in the public eye. And radio stations keep playing the same old song because they know it will be awhile until the get a new one.

As the song says....It's all in the game.
    Miss Scarlet likes this.

I have chosen two songs to highlight this time around, one for the chart hit it became & one for the artist that became a huge star after this single.

Both of these songs hit the charts on February 24, 1958:

Tequila – The Champs
    This song will eventually hit the charts 5 different times & The Champs will make a return appearance with it in 1962. The final version comes way into the future…1992. This was certainly the most popular version as it gets all the way to the top of the charts & stays there for 5 weeks, becoming the 5th biggest song of the year. Chuck Rio, the sax player for the band, was the writer. The song also hit #1 on the R&B Charts & is in the Grammy Hall Of Fame.

This was actually the “B” side to their intended hit called Train To Nowhere, but this one took off instead. It will take just 3 weeks to get to #1. And it won the Grammy this year for Best Rhythm & Blues Performance at the first ever Grammy Awards in 1959. This was the only #1 hit for the group & in fact they will never get any higher than #30 again.

They weren’t a part of this recording, but joining the group a bit later in the year were a couple of guys that would go on to have quite the career of their own, Jimmy Seals on sax & Dash Crofts on drums. And then in 1960 a guitar player named Glen Campbell also joined for a while.

By the way, the group was formed by studio executives at Gene Autry's Challenge Records and so the band took their name from Gene Autry’s horse Champion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyl7GP_VMJY

Who’s Sorry Now – Connie Francis
    This was the most popular of the 2 versions of this song to eventually hit the charts. It will get to #4 for Connie & stick around for 22 big weeks. The song was written by Bert Kalmar, Harry Ruby & Ted Snyder.

She was born as Concetta Rosa Maria Franconero, in Newark New Jersey. She was still 19 at the time of this recording & in fact her 1st 5 Top 40 hits all happen before she turns 20.
    She had been releasing singles since 1955 but other than a duet which peaked at 93 earlier this year she had failed to chart at all. But all that changes with this single. The song will also hit #4 on the R&B Charts & #1 in the UK. The song became the 1st of her 8 Gold Records.

The song goes all the way back to 1923 & was even a #3 hit single that year by a guy named Isham Jones. It was sung by Gloria De Haven in the 1950 movie Three Little Words.

Connie didn’t even like the song & didn’t want to record it, but there were evidently 16 minutes of studio time left after her current recording session & she relented & did the song because it was one of her Father’s favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ws60MDF7OY
    Miss Scarlet likes this.

I remember Tequila, but I've never heard the original version. I guess it's one of those songs that have been sung by a whole bunch of bands.

I was a small child in the late 50's & listening to the radio wouldn't kick in for about another 10 years at least.
    I have a small recollection of some of them (Who's Sorry Now is one of them) but very minimal. Probably because they were around for quite a while & still played.
    razorbacker likes this.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

+ Reply to Thread