+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

Re: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

OMG! I had no idea that SHORT SHORTS was an actual song! I recall it being the commercial for Nair. Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve04-BcEP94

This was one of my VERY first favorite songs. My mom had this single! Peaches and Cream by the Ikettes. LOVED IT. I was only about 6 years old, but I could operate my mom's sterero. I knew all her music and could put both singles and albums on to play. I knew all the words to most of the songs and made up dance moves to each one! What fun times. My mom had complete faith in me. She knew that I loved the music so much, that I would be very careful with them and I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfbh4b8ZfN8

Debb,

Peaches & Cream was a double chart hit single. It hit #36 on the Pop Charts & was their last top 40 hit single. It also hit #8 on the R&B Charts, all this in March of 1965. Even though they never hit the Top 40 on the Pop Charts again, they would continue to have success on the R&B Charts with two more Top 20 hits over there before their career faded in early 1968.

You might be interested to know that the song was written by Tommy Boyce & Steve Venet.

Tommy Boyce would of course team up & write many hit singles with Bobby Hart & they had some of their bigger successes with a little group called The Monkees, who would have their debut successes in 1966. For The Monkees they wrote:

Last Train To Clarksville, Valeri & The Theme song for the show...Hey Hey Were The Monkees.

but as an aside they duo also wrote the Theme Song for the soap opera The Days Of Our Lives.

Steve Venet & Tommy Boyce also wrote the Theme Song to the music show Where The Action Is.

I was a huge Monkee fan too. Loved Last Train to Clarksville and Hey Hey, We're The Monkees. I also liked Where The Action Is, though, I didn't get to watch as much of that as Bandstand. I think Action was where I first saw Paul Revere & The Raiders. Loved them although, they were a little too old for me. My cousin adored Mark Lyndsey. I think they had great music and Mark still performs as does the Raiders, but not together.

Another person I loved was Bobby Vinton. I learned the words to almost every song on this album. Roses Are Red My Love was my favorite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roses_Are_Red_(album)

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I was a huge Monkee fan too. Loved Last Train to Clarksville and Hey Hey, We're The Monkees. I also liked Where The Action Is, though, I didn't get to watch as much of that as Bandstand. I think Action was where I first saw Paul Revere & The Raiders. Loved them although, they were a little too old for me. My cousin adored Mark Lyndsey. I think they had great music and Mark still performs as does the Raiders, but not together.

Another person I loved was Bobby Vinton. I learned the words to almost every song on this album. Roses Are Red My Love was my favorite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roses_Are_Red_(album)
    When I was a kid, I grew up in So. Cal. but my parents families were all in Arkansas. That meant we would travel Route 66 at least once every year for vacation. It was in a time before FM Radio but we had many choices of AM stations all across the states. So, of course we heard Roses Are Red perhaps 103,426 times each direction during its popularity. It was 1 of 2 songs I can remember my Mom really liking but I absolutely hated. I would change the channel every time they came on. The other one was I Can't Stop Loving You by Ray Charles.

Back in the days before FM radio & satellite radio & streaming services where you can listen to any type of music you want, we had AM radio. You could turn it on & hear almost anything at all. The Beatles would be followed by Connie Francis who would lead into Chuck Berry. It was a wonderful way to keep up on all genres of music at the same time.

Here is a for instance for you. All three of these songs hit the Top 100 Charts at the same time on February. 3, 1958 and they couldn't be more different.

Betty & Dupree – Chuck Willis
    Chuck wrote this one himself. It will stick around for 11 weeks & climb to #33.

This was the 2nd of his 4 Top 40 hit singles. It will hit #15 on the R&B Charts which is the 2nd lowest he would ever hit over there. He had a total of 14 R&B Hits with just 3 of them failing to hit the Top 10 & his worst position was #19 with his very last single. As can be seen at the end of this video, Chuck died in April of 1958 of a bleeding ulcer at the age of 30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo1KLgtDoxw

Ballad Of A Teenage Queen – Johnny Cash

This one will spend 19 weeks on the charts & stall out at #14. The song was written by Jack Clement & it is going to spend 10 big weeks at #1 on the Country Charts. The song also gets to #15 in Australia. It was Johnny’s 3rd Country #1 so far, & the 7th out of 8 singles to hit the Top 10.

Jack Clement was a longtime associate of Johnny Cash. He wrote many of his hits & was also the Producer of Ring Of Fire (remember those famous Spanish Trumpets). He also discovered & was the first to record Jerry Lee Lewis while Sam Phillips was away on a trip. One of the songs on those recording sessions was Whole Lotta Shakin Goin On. In 1987, Jack was also behind the boards at Sun Studios as producer on parts of the U2 Rattle & Hum album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exve40nNg-M

Witchcraft – Frank Sinatra

This one is going to #6 for Frank, but it is going to be his last Top 10 hit until 1966. Cy Coleman & Carolyn Leigh wrote this one.

Cy & Carolyn also wrote The Best Is Yet To Come which was also a hit for Frank. Cy wrote the song that would become the theme songs for TV Shows & Specials presented by Playboy. He became a Broadway composer in 1960 where he wrote the music for a play called Wildcat which included the Broadway debut of Lucille Ball.

Carolyn Leigh was also a writer for Broadway & Peter Pan goes to her credit line. She was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1985.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIZIBm2QGaM

You can't beat Johnny Cash, but, I do adore Sinatra too. Both them had such unique voices.

Razorbacker, you are from Southern California. How lucky! I've always loved CA. I used to dream of moving there. CA was really a mecca in the 60's and 70's.

Talking about AM radio. Have you ever heard of Rick Dees? He has had a career in radio (national show based in CA) and even a hit song. (Disco Duck). In the 1970's he was a very popular DJ in Raleigh, NC on WKIX. The radio shows were awesome. The DJs poured their hearts into the show and the music was fantastic. My cousin became a good friend of his! She was a rather unique young lady(naive, shy and just starting college) and Rick took care to make her feel very special. I spoke to him on the phone a couple of times and he would play Donny Osmond songs for me. This is when the DJ could pick songs. He eventually moved away to further his career and wrote my cousin a few times. (I still have his letters to her.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Dees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT3StVd3BQY

Debb, I grew up in the Mojave Desert about 120 miles NE of LA & 50 from Death Valley. The Sierra Nevada Mountains were in my backyard, just 15 miles to the West. I really miss the West Coast.

Good story about Rick Dees. Of course I remember him well.

I have fond memories of Rick. I believe that if my cousin had been properly diagnosed, she might have had Aspergers. She had every symptom. Due to this, she struggled with personal relationships, lacked confidence and was quite anxious about starting college. Rick volunteered to come by her dorm and help her set up her stereo system. Even loaned her some speakers! It made her feel cool with her peers there. She had a huge crush on him and he knew it, but even as a child, I could tell that he thought of her as a sister. He had compassion for her and took his personal time to help her. He kept it strictly platonic. He was a confidante for her and that wasn't easy. My cousin was a handful and very demanding. But, Rick remained kind to her. I'll always respect him for that.
    Queta likes this.

Well if noting else form the music of the early Rock Era gets your attention, at least some of the names of the groups are pretty interesting.

This song first hit the Top 100 on February 10, 1958.

Click Clack – Dickey Doo & The Don’ts

These guys are able to get this song to #28 & keep it on the charts for 14 weeks. The song was written by Gerry Granahan (Dicky Doo), Jerry Grant & Aaron Schroeder.

These guys were a rock band from Brooklyn. The leader was Gerry Granahan who recorded under the name of Dicky Doo. This was the 1st charting single & the biggest hit for the guys & they will have only 2 Top 40 hits in all.

Gerry Granahan will go on to have a solo Top 40 hit later in the year & one more Top 40 hit in 1959 when he forms a group called The Fireflies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvyfHVai0Qs

So no one got behind Dickey Doo & The Don'ts? Well your loss....HA!

+ Reply to Thread