+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 220
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

  1. #31
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    17,935

    Re: Miscellaneous Music News

    Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I agree with the highlighted statement, but there would have been no 60's & 70's Rock & Roll without a beginning in the 50's. Elvis, Buddy, Fats, Little Richard, Jerry Lee, Connie Francis, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Sam Cooke, & so many others. All those folks set the table for what was to come. So having said that, I just can't go with The Osmonds....sorry....LOL!
    What you say about those 50's artists is quite true. I always hear people like Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, Mick Jaggar, etc. talking about artist that they are in awe of. Most even credit blues with their influence. Robert Plant is a huge fan of Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson.


    At 65, skin-creased, ponytailed and grey-bearded, Plant contemplates the contents in tones of wonder. “Crumbled bits of newspaper, adverts for the Band Of Joy at Midnight City in Birmingham, pictures of Lead Belly and Sonny Boy Williamson in a striped suit with a velvet collar. There was a set list from my first band, the Black Snake Moan, written on a little card – Jimmy Reed, John Lee Hooker, Sonny Boy, Chuck Berry. When I found that wallet, I found a map of my life. Unbelievable.”
    Robert Plant interview: ‘Everyone feels the blues from time to time’ - Telegraph

  2. #32
    FORT Fogey Miss Scarlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,520

    Re: Miscellaneous Music News

    I read that Robert Plant link, which was a fun read, mainly because of the line "At 65,....." I was shocked that Robert Plant is only 65. But the article was written 3 years ago. That makes him 68 now, closer to what I'd expect, but still younger than I would have guessed.
    It seems like all the rockers from that time are in their early 70's now. Kind of sad, but their music is still better, after all these years, than anything out nowadays.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

  3. #33
    FORT Fogey razorbacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    11,353

    Re: Miscellaneous Music News

    Debb recently made the case for gravitating to the music we grew up with & I fully understand & agree with that argument. I made the case that we wouldn’t be where we are without beginning with the rock of the 50’s, & morphing into a bigger & better rock genre. I think she agreed with that point as well. So, maybe this song will serve both points of view. This song first debuted at #79 on the Top 100 on December 23, 1957.

    Hey Schoolgirl – Tom & Jerry

    This one will stay on the charts for 9 weeks & it gets to #49. The song was written by the two guys singing it, but they would later record under their own names & become pretty famous at it. This is Paul Simon & Art Garfunkel.

    They will release two more singles in 1958 but neither of them will hit the Top 100. Then they disappear altogether until 1965 when they begin to slay the charts with a #1 hit single called The Sounds Of Silence.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wkxsE0-04E

  4. #34
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    17,935

    Re: Miscellaneous Music News

    RAZORBACKER, Cute video. Check out Simon and Garfunkel performing Hey SchoolGirl in 2003!!!!
    Love, love, love Simon and Garfunkel. Icons, imo.

    Miss Starlet, talking about Robert Plant and how some think he's older. Well, I suppose that's true. He has not avoided the sun over the years and it shows, HOWEVER, he is a wonderful performer and artist, imo. I've seen him quite a few times. Heck, I can't be objective, because he's my favorite in the world. When I see Robert, this is how I see him:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiLKT5rPHBA


    I think his soul is evergreen! lol

  5. #35
    FORT Fogey razorbacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    11,353

    Re: Miscellaneous Music News

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    RAZORBACKER, Cute video. Check out Simon and Garfunkel performing Hey SchoolGirl in 2003!!!!
    Love, love, love Simon and Garfunkel. Icons, imo.

    Miss Starlet, talking about Robert Plant and how some think he's older. Well, I suppose that's true. He has not avoided the sun over the years and it shows, HOWEVER, he is a wonderful performer and artist, imo. I've seen him quite a few times. Heck, I can't be objective, because he's my favorite in the world. When I see Robert, this is how I see him:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiLKT5rPHBA


    I think his soul is evergreen! lol
    Almost all of the British Invasion groups....the first wave of them anyway....grew up on American Blues. It goes to the very essence of who they were.

    And now, I feel like I'm going to ruffle some feathers here, but it is after all a music discussion & all just a matter of taste & opinion. So here goes.

    When I was coming of age all of my friends told me time & time again how great Led Zepplin was in concert. The band always hit LA on each tour & I was lucky enough to get to seem them at the Forum in LA during the tour for the Physical Graffiti tour in March of 1975 & they were the biggest disappointment I ever saw. They were great musicians & certainly Robert was a sterling vocalist, but they seemed to break off into these long winded jam sessions during almost every song when I would have been preferred to hear them play some of their songs straight up.

    Kasmir was a highlight & I still remember that one well.

    Here is Kashmir from the Forum in LA on the night I was there.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87kcHA5veg0

    Now when it comes to Robert Plant, I really like the stuff he did after LZ broke up..like this one with The Honeydrippers!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4EF3RScbvs

    Or this one from the multiple Grammy Winning album Raising Sand, produced by T. Bone Burnett (that is T. Bone on guitar in this performance) & pairing Robert with the incomparable Allison Krauss.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hUzm6fFm5E

    And he is still making great new music. This one is from just last Summer with his new band The Sensational Shape Shifters.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye7-dUWKWyo
    Last edited by razorbacker; 09-21-2016 at 03:13 PM.

  6. #36
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    17,935

    Re: Miscellaneous Music News

    Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Almost all of the British Invasion groups....the first wave of them anyway....grew up on American Blues. It goes to the very essence of who they were.

    And now, I feel like I'm going to ruffle some feathers here, but it is after all a music discussion & all just a matter of taste & opinion. So here goes.

    When I was coming of age all of my friends told me time & time again how great Led Zepplin was in concert. The band always hit LA on each tour & I was lucky enough to get to seem them at the Forum in LA during the tour for the Physical Graffiti tour in March of 1975 & they were the biggest disappointment I ever saw. They were great musicians & certainly Robert was a sterling vocalist, but they seemed to break off into these long winded jam sessions during almost every song when I would have been preferred to hear them play some of their songs straight up.

    Kasmir was a highlight & I still remember that one well.

    Here is Kashmir from the Forum in LA on the night I was there.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87kcHA5veg0

    Now when it comes to Robert Plant, I really like the stuff he did after LZ broke up..like this one with The Honeydrippers!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4EF3RScbvs

    Or this one from the multiple Grammy Winning album Raising Sand, produced by T. Bone Burnett (that is T. Bone on guitar in this performance) & pairing Robert with the incomparable Allison Krauss.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hUzm6fFm5E

    And he is still making great new music. This one is from just last Summer with his new band The Sensational Shape Shifters.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye7-dUWKWyo
    OMG!!!! I love them all!

    I can't even begin to imagine how it would have been to see Zeppelin in the day. It's something I dream about. It's a long story of how I became a Zeppelin (Plant) fan, but, I wasn't always one. In fact, I was 30 years old when I became a fan! I had just started dating my ex, when he asked me with this look of excitement on his face if I liked Zeppelin. I said with a straight face, "Is that a person or a group?" I'm not kidding. lol Over the next few years, I became a bigger fan than him and started flying to places like NYC just to see Robert and Jimmy in concert. I've never looked back.

    Oh, I get what you mean by those long instrumentals that never seem to end. I thought that was a signal to take a bathroom break. lol

    LOVED Robert and the HoneyDrippers. I bought that album after it had been out a few years in the late 80's, having no idea who Robert Plant was! Great songs on there. My favorite was Sea of Love.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2wyYEnjeas

    I've seen Robert with the Sensational Space Shifters in NC as well as Band of Joy. (Patty Griffin as well are in this clip.) She was his lover at the time I saw them in concert. She's not part of the Band of Joy, but just played with them on that tour.

    RAMBLE ON. One of my favorites.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fydYAemQl3U

  7. #37
    FORT Fogey razorbacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    11,353

    Re: Miscellaneous Music News

    I have a couple of songs to share this time around in hopes that someone finds them palatable. Both of these singles first hit the Billboard Charts on 12/30/1957.

    Dance crazes & the songs that introduce them have always been popular with the listening & here is one of the cooler ones.

    The Stroll – The Diamonds

    This one will get all the way to #4 & stay around for 21 big weeks. The song was written by Nancy Lee & Clyde Otis.
    This will be the final Top 10 hit for these guys & it also hits #5 on the R&B Charts, but will it will also mark the final time they cross over to that particular chart.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrGLNtZ0rEg

    And did anyone here remember this guy going back to 1957?

    A Very Special Love – Johnny Nash

    This was the first chart hit for Johnny, & his first released single. He will also hit the Top 40 with his next single, but then it will be 10 years until he has his 3rd Top 40 hit.
    He was just 18 at the time of this record. He is going to have some pretty lean years, chart wise & he doesn’t hit the R&B Charts at all until his 13th single way up in 1968. He will actually have a hit in Australia before he hits the R&B Charts here in the states.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKq68HHctdw

  8. #38
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    17,935

    Re: Miscellaneous Music News

    Love The Stroll. My mom used to try to teach that dance to me. It reminds me of a dance that has been popular in the Carolinas for many years called the Shag. Here's a movie about shagging. The one from NC not Great Britain! lol

    It's a pretty good dance movie.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cttOWnaG3w

    My favorite Shag dancing song is CAROLINA GIRLS!!!!! (Brings back such great memories.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsTEw2QJe5Y




    and JOHNNY NASH!!!!!!!! OMG. He performed one of my favorite songs of all time. I bought the single and I think I wore out 2 of them! I have it now on a Oldie's CD. This song gave me much joy!

    I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkwJ-g0iJ6w

  9. #39
    FORT Fogey Miss Scarlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,520

    Re: Miscellaneous Music News

    I've never seen The Stroll, but that was fun to watch. They were all so serious.
    I do remember I Can See Clearly Now. I loved that song.

    Life, music, and dancing were all so much simpler then. Less hectic & desperate.
    Yeah, the Good Old Days. I'm officially old.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

  10. #40
    FORT Fogey razorbacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    11,353

    Re: Miscellaneous Music News

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Love The Stroll. My mom used to try to teach that dance to me. It reminds me of a dance that has been popular in the Carolinas for many years called the Shag. Here's a movie about shagging. The one from NC not Great Britain! lol

    It's a pretty good dance movie.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cttOWnaG3w

    My favorite Shag dancing song is CAROLINA GIRLS!!!!! (Brings back such great memories.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsTEw2QJe5Y




    and JOHNNY NASH!!!!!!!! OMG. He performed one of my favorite songs of all time. I bought the single and I think I wore out 2 of them! I have it now on a Oldie's CD. This song gave me much joy!

    I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkwJ-g0iJ6w
    Those were all good choices, but yeah, you gotta be careful where you are when you refer to a Shag. Here in the states you might get one of the worst haircuts of your entire life.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.