+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

Re: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

The Beach Boys wrote Most of their stuff but they also had a few cover songs. Most folks did I think.

You must be a dedicated music lover to go thru all the charts, dig up these facts and info! Thanks for all your work to find these nuggets of information!

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    You must be a dedicated music lover to go thru all the charts, dig up these facts and info! Thanks for all your work to find these nuggets of information!
    It has become a labor of love. I have been through the first 6 1/2 years of the Hot 100 charts, week after week & it is my intention to make it all the way through the 70's. Although, that may not happen do to getting to old...LOL!

I post each week over on facebook for a bunch of folks I met through The USA Today American Idol Forums, when The USA Today had such things. And then they weigh on on whether or not they like the songs. It certainly makes for some interesting conversations.
    cablejockey likes this.

I don't know if anyone else would be interested in this, but just in case...

There is a guy named Joel Whitburn. He has a company called Records Research & years ago he worked with Billboard Magazine to obtain the rights to use their charts to produce the history of the music charts. The company has published a lot of different books on the subjects of the charts.

But, Joel has what has to be the most valuable record collection ever. It is stored in a vault, climate controlled, fire proof, etc. It has to be worth well into the tens of millions of dollars. Anywho, if you would like to see a video of his collection, here is a great little video tour. It takes about 34 minutes, but I think you will find it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3m1DwU0ImI
    cablejockey and Arielflies like this.

OK, here are two singles that both debuted on May 29, 1961. I think they are interesting for different reasons.

During the late 50's & early 60's doo wop was a huge factor on pop radio. Here is a doo wop version of the song Summertime from the play Porgy & Bess. I think the song should have done much better than it did, but in mid 61 doo wop was on its way out, many of the great groups were experiencing their final hit singles at this time. This song started life at #90 & didn't improve much from there.

Summertime – The Marcels

Well here is a song that is going to hit multiple times, five to be exact (during the rock era), but none of them get any higher than this version by The Marcels which stalls out at #78, until Billy Stewart releases it in 1966 & goes all the way to #10. The song was written by George Gershwin & DuBose Howard for the play Porgy & Bess.

This is one of the most covered songs in history, with well over 2000 official recordings. The first popular cover was by Billie Holiday, who transformed it into a bluesy number. Janis Joplin's blues-rock version with Big Brother & the Holding Company is probably the best known, but other notable covers were recorded by Nina Simone, Sam Cooke, Mahalia Jackson, Miles Davis, Ricky Nelson, John Coltrane, Julie London, and Frank Sinatra.

The most successful version on the Hot 100 was R&B singer/keyboardist Billy Stewart's 1966 interpretation, which featured Maurice White (later of Earth, Wind & Fire) on drums. It spent seven weeks in the Top 40, peaking at #10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj-YF8ggpY4

And then there is this song that I am sure you have heard from The Dave Clark Five, but here is the original version from the guy that wrote the song. This one debuted at #86 & did really well for itself;

I Like It Like That – Chris Kenner

This song will chart three times with Chris having the first & biggest of them all. He gets his version to #2 on both the Pop & R&B Charts. In 1965 The Dave Clark Five see their version go to #7 & then in 1975 Loggins & Messina will stumble in at #84. Chris co – wrote the song with Allen Toussaint. Chris got a Grammy nomination for the song but did not win.

This was the first chart hit for the singer out of Kenner Louisiana. It was his only Top 40 hit & the first of just two Hot 100 hits.

Chris was one of those folks that led a troubled life. In 1968 he was convicted of statutory rape of a minor (though stories say he was probably framed) and had to serve three years in Angola prison.

Throughout much of his career Chris was beset by serious alcohol problems. He had a reputation as a poor and unreliable live performer. He was found dead in his apartment in New Orleans in January 1976. The cause was a heart attack, triggered by his alcohol problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3difKOF6bo
    cablejockey likes this.

Interesting facts and sad ones too when someone has a short unhappy life. At least they left behind music, which in its own way is immortal.
    razorbacker likes this.

I kind of liked this song, but I have to share it not so much because of the song itself, but for the story behind the guy that wrote it. It debuted at #84 on June 12th 1961. Rock & Roll history is full of strange stuff.

Nature Boy – Bobby Darin

After six weeks on the chart, this one just sneaks into the Top 40 when it lands right at #40. The song was written by Eden Ahbez.

Eden Ahbez, one of the strangest songwriters of the pre-hippie era. He was a beatnik poet, but more accurately a proto-hippie, choosing to wear long hair, a full beard and long, white, flowing garments that promoted a Christ-like appearance. He lived in Griffith Park in Los Angeles and ate fruit, vegetables and nuts. Ahbez was born in Brooklyn in 1908, and he claimed to have been raised in an orphanage and to have crossed the US on foot eight times before age 35. He moved to Los Angeles in the '40s, lived on $3 a week, and lectured on Hollywood street corners about Oriental mysticism.

Eden implored Nat King Cole's manager to look at his manuscript of "Nature Boy." Cole recognized the Yiddish melody, liked the lyrics and added it to his act. It was well received so Cole decided to record it. One problem: Cole and Capitol Records could not find Ahbez in order to secure the publishing rights. Finally they located him camped beneath the first L in the "Hollywood" sign.

Eden spent time with Brian Wilson before The Beach Boys recorded Pet Sounds. Ahbez, his wife, Anna, and their son Zoma lived in Griffith Park with their bicycle, sleeping bags and a juicer. With their unusual lifestyle, the family became legendary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA_tRaX7dbA
    cablejockey likes this.

That is interesting! I had never heard of Eden Ahbez! He certainly sounded like someone ahead of the times. I just had to look up more info on this guy! https://bluerailroad.wordpress.com/2...ng-eden-ahbez/
    razorbacker likes this.

Good stuff. Interesting guy to say the least.

I wanted to share this one from June 19,1961. It is a good song that I remember well, but it was also the first time the name Jackie DeShannon had been seen on a record. The song debuted at #69.

Dum Dum – Brenda Lee

This one stays around for twelve weeks & goes all the way to #4. The song was written by Sharon Sheely (the girlfriend of Eddie Cochrane, she was in the car the night he was killed in a wreck outside of London) & Jackie DeShannon.

Brenda is still 17.

Jackie DeShannon will have her first single as a singer in 1962 and she is probably best known being the singer of "What the World Needs Now Is Love" and "Put a Little Love in Your Heart", and as the composer of "When You Walk in the Room" and "Bette Davis Eyes", which were hits for The Searchers and Kim Carnes, respectively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PK_T7uAb2E
    cablejockey likes this.

+ Reply to Thread