+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

Re: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

I reckon most everyone has heard this song by a few folks. How many have heard the original? This version debuted at #87 on October 6, 1960.

Stay – Maurice Williams & The Zodiacs

Maurice wrote the song himself. It was his very 1st chart hit & it will go all the way to #1, it stays there for just a week, but it still becomes the 18th biggest hit of the year. The song gets to #3 on the R&B Chart. The Four Seasons will hit #16 in 1964 & Jackson Browne goes to 20 in 1978 with their versions.

This was the only Top 40 hit for the group, but Maurice had written the song Little Darlin which was a #2 for The Diamonds back in 1957.

The Zodiacs used to record under the name of The Gladiolas & they had a #41 hit with Little Darlin. The Gladiolas after finishing high school were on the road when their station wagon broke down in Bluefield, West Virginia. The band came across a British-built Ford car known as the Zodiac (a 'luxury' version of the Ford Zephyr built in Britain, Australia and New Zealand) and changed their name.

The group was from Lancaster South Carolina. The Zodiacs were Wiley Bennett, Henry Gaston, Charles Thomas, Albert Hill, & Willie Morrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Z_hskvz1M

I'll continue talking to myself I reckon, but just in case:

Here are a couple of songs that will become pretty famous in future years, but the original version of both of them hit the charts for the first time on October 31, 1960...Halloween Day!

This one began life at #94.

You’re Sixteen – Johnny Burnette

This song will eventually chart twice & both versions will make it to the Top 10. Johnny gets all the way to #8 & then Ringo goes to #1 when he releases it in 1974. The song was written by brothers Richard & Robert Sherman.

The Sherman Brothers wrote a lot of songs for Annette Funnicelo but are also famous for writing the Disney classics "Supercalifragilisticexpialidoc ious" and "It's A Small World."
    The song found its way to Johnny Burnette after the Sherman Brothers asked his brother, Dorsey, to sing the demo. Dorsey and Johnny were both rockabilly singers; "You're Sixteen" was Johnny's biggest hit, reaching #8 US and #3 UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjy-OMIyXbg

And this one started out at #63.

He Don’t Love You Like I Love You– Jerry Butler

This was the first of three versions of this song to eventually chart. Jerry gets his version to #7 on the Pop Chart & it spends seven weeks at #1 on the R&B Chart. Jerry released the song under the title of He Will Break Your Heart. The Righteous Brothers release it in 1966 but they stall out at 91, the biggest of them all happens in 1975 for Tony Orlando & Dawn as they get it to #1. Jerry co – wrote this song with the assistance of Calvin Carter & Curtis Mayfield. Curtis sings harmony & plays the guitar on the single.

Nicolas Cage performed the Jerry Butler version of this song in Peggy Sue Got Married (1986).

The song "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" by Steam shares the same first three lines of its first verse with the chorus of "He Will Break Your Heart."

Dolly Parton covered the song in 1984, retaining the Orlando and Dawn retitling, though changing the gender to "She Don't Love You". She included the song on The Great Pretender, an album of covers of early rock and roll hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjczGwA7AZ4

I haven't done this in a while, but two pretty special ladies hit the charts for the first time at the same time & I thought you might like to hear a bit of what was going on. One of them was Motown slickness & the the Memphis gritty, but they both did some really good stuff.

Both of these singles debuted on the charts on January 30, 1961.

This one began life at #99

Bye, Bye, Baby – Mary Wells

We have the very first hit single from Mary she was still just 17 at the time. The song is going to go to #45 on the Pop Chart & #8 on the R&B Chart. Mary wrote the song herself.

She was born in Detroit in May of 1943. Her mother was a domestic & her father was out of the picture. She certainly had a tough go of it, she contracted spinal meningitis at the age of two and struggled with partial blindness, deafness in one ear and temporary paralysis. At age 10, she contracted tuberculosis, but she persevered & became one of Motown’s biggest stars.

Mary had written the song "Bye Bye Baby," and originally intended to pass it along to R&B singer Jackie Wilson, but Berry Gordy wanted to hear the song on the spot (plus he was no longer working closely with Wilson). Impressed with Wells' vocals, he urged her to record it.

And then we get this contradicting point of view:

Johnnie Mae Matthews, known as "The Godmother of Detroit Soul," told a different story about the up-and-coming teen sensation of Motown: "Mary Wells was 14 years old when she came to me. She came with about four lines of "Bye, Bye Baby" and asked me if I would finish it up for her, and I finished it up for her - I wrote that record. I never got any credit for that!"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2necn5WMipw

And this one started life at #96

Gee Whiz (Look At His Eyes) – Carla Thomas

This song is going to chart twice, but the other version won’t roll around until 1980 when Bernadette Peters takes it to #31. Carla is going to see her version go all the way to #10 on the Pop Chart & #5 on the R&B Chart. Carla wrote the song herself.

Just like Mary Wells above this was the first hit single for Carla. Just like Mary, she was still a teenager, and she had just turned a ripe old 18 at the time.

Carla is the daughter of Rufus Thomas, who was recording for Satellite Records in Memphis, which would later morph into Stax. When Rufus played a demo of the song for label boss Jim Stewart, he heard the hit potential and went all out to record it properly. Stewart booked a group called the Veltones to do background vocals and also a 3-piece string section led by his former violin teacher Noel Gilbert. The session was booked for a hot August day in 1960 at 2 p.m. in their studios on McLemore Avenue, which was a converted theater with no air conditioning. By 2:30, the arranger had not arrived, so Stewart took over the session, working out the arrangement on the fly with Gilbert. When they were finally ready to go it was 5 o'clock and the musicians were making overtime. They rolled tape and got it right in the first take, with the then 17-year-old Thomas nailing her vocal on the first try.

The song gave a big boost & national recognition to Stax Records in Memphis.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAmHhBiXVjw

So is in the gloss of Motown or the grit of Stax that floats your boat?
    cablejockey likes this.

I am happy to see Mary Wells mentioned here. One of my favorites. Its too bad she is generally only known for My Guy, when she had many more good songs like You Beat Me TO The Punch and The One Who Really Loves YOu. She died too soon as do most of the greats.
    razorbacker likes this.

Along with all the other health issues that hobbled Mary Wells throughout her life, she finally succumbed to cancer in 1992 at the age of 49...much to early.

Cablejockey I don't know how old you are, but on the same week that these two ladies had their first hit, there was a guy that also debuted. You might remember Gene Pitney???

I wasnt much of a Gene Pitney fan until I got older. He was on the the music scene during my early teens with songs like Mecca and later It Hurts To Be In Love. I didnt appreciate his talents until years later.
    razorbacker likes this.

So the last time I posted one of these we had a debut single from a young lady with roots in Detroit & Motown & a debut from another young lady with her roots in the Memphis Soul sound of Stax Records. This time it is only fitting to add the debut of a young lady that has one foot in each camp.

This song hit the Billboard Charts for the first time on February 27, 1961 & debuted at #95.

Won’t Be Long – Aretha Franklin

And so we get the debut single from Aretha Franklin. It will be an inauspicious start for her as the song spends just 3 weeks on the chart & comes to rest at #76 on the pop chart, but it does go to #7 on the R&B Chart. She had one prior single that went to #10 over on R&B but failed to hit the Pop chart at all.

Aretha was born in Memphis but raised in Detroit. Despite the low chart position of this song she eventually recorded a total of 112 charted singles on Billboard, including 77 Hot 100 entries, 17 top ten pop singles, 100 R&B entries and twenty number-one R&B singles, becoming the most charted female artist in the chart's history.

She is still just 18 at the time of this single (she was just a bit older at the time of this performance, but still in her very early 20's)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1p92gQTQCg
    cablejockey likes this.

She was a force in 60s music! Has she retired by now?

As far as I know Aretha is still pressing on. I was never that big of a fan, but I do recognize her legacy on the music industry.

I hope you will like these three offerings this time around. I post three of them because they all hit the charts on the week of March 27, 1961 & they were all three the first hit singles for the artists involved. AM Radio back in the day was so playing so much variety that you could literally hear any type of music on the same station as you will see just from these three singles.

I reckon you'll recognize the last two, but the first one might be a surprise.

This one began life at #94.

Like Long Hair – Paul Revere & The Raiders

I have to hold up my hand and admit that I had no idea these guys went back this far, but here they are with their first hit single. The song was written by Paul Revere, it will stay around for 6 weeks and sneak into the Top 40 at #38. They will not hit the Top 40 again until Christmas day 1965 & in fact they won’t hit the Hot 100 again until September of that year.
    The song is based on Racmaninoff’s Prelude in C Sharp Major.

Paul was born Paul Revere Dick. He was from Boise, Idaho. He owned several restaurants in Caldwell, Idaho, and first met singer Mark Lindsay while picking up hamburger buns from the bakery where Mark worked. Other than Paul on keyboards & Mark on vocals, the band also included Freddy Weller on guitar, Keith Allison on bass & Michael Smith on drums. There have been many different members of the group over the years, but these guys were there for the bulk of their hits.

The next single they release will be in 1963, it will not hit the Hot 100 but it was a little song called Louie Louie. Whether the Raiders or the Kingsmen recorded "Louie Louie" first is not certain; however, both groups recorded it in the same studio in Portland, Oregon, in April 1963.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOaVvJxs6xY

This one started at #88

Daddy’s Home – Shep & The Limelites

This is going to be a pretty popular single throughout the years. It will chart four times but this will be the biggest of the four. These folks are able to get the song to #2 on the Pop Chart & #4 on R&B. It will hit #91 as a duet for Chuck Jackson & Maxine Brown in 1967, #9 in 1973 for Jermaine Jackson & #23 in 1982 for Cliff Richard. The song was written by William Miller & James Shepard.

This was the first chart hit for these guys & the only time they hit the Top 40. Shep, was the song writer James Shepard, The Limelites were Clarence Bassett & Charles Baskerville, the first two were from Queens, Baskerville was from Virginia.

All three members of the group have passed on. James Sheppard was murdered on January 24, 1970. He died in his car on the Long Island Expressway as a result of injuries sustained in a robbery. Baskerville died, at age 58 on January 18, 1995 in New York. Bassett died on January 25, 2005, at age 68 from the complications of emphysema, at his home in Richmond, Virginia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIGla91-qmk

And this one debuted at #55.

Mother In Law – Ernie K. Doe

If you are going to have your first hit single I reckon there is no better way to do it than to go all the way to #1 on both the Pop & the R&B Charts. He gets 1 week at the top of the Pop Chart but 5 weeks on the R&B Chart. The song was written by Allen Toussaint. Not only was the song written by Allen Toussaint but he also produced the single & played the piano solo. It was one of four songs that Toussaint and K-Doe recorded in one three-hour session.

Ernie was an R&B Vocalist out of New Orleans, his real name was Ernest Kador Jr. Not only was this his first hit single, but it was his only Top 40 hit single as well. He will not get any higher than 53 on the Pop Chart or 21 on R&B again.

Ernie K-Doe died in 2001 at the age of 65, but he didn't exactly leave. His wife commissioned a likeness of him, fashioned from a department store mannequin, that she installed in the Mother In Law lounge that she owned in New Orleans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EN5eJf5h_k
    cablejockey and Photobabe like this.

+ Reply to Thread