+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

Re: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

It's the 1st day of Summer & the 50th anniversary of The Summer Of Love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjK2rlKyc4U
    cablejockey likes this.

Sometimes a single doesn't do really well on the chart, but it is nonetheless an important piece of musical history. That is the case with this song that debuted at #98 on October 5, 1959:

Bad Girl – The Miracles

It’s the first chart hit for the group & it is a pretty inauspicious beginning to say the least. It will remain on the chart just 2 weeks & stall out at #93. The song was written by Berry Gordy & Smokey Robinson.

Smokey recalled to Mojo magazine January 2014. "I can't tell you where the inspiration for 'Bad Girl' came from because I get inspired all the time. I know I was humming that melody to myself. I'm not a mood or a situation writer. I can be sad and write a happy song, or happy and write a sad song. Or see something that inspires an idea, I don't know where it comes from. I just look at it as a blessing."

It was the first song to be released by Motown, which did not, at that time, have national distribution. The song possessed chart potential so both Philadelphia's Cameo–Parkway label and the Chicago–based Chess Records bid for it. Chess won and the song became The Miracles' first national chart hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snjNxr1QDR4

They won't have a Top 40 hit until late 1960 when Shop Around lands.

I have never heard of Bad Girl by The Miracles! thanks for the info.
    razorbacker likes this.

Sometimes a song gets almost completely overlooked on the chart when it had the potential to be a really nice hit. I think that was the case with this one. The song debuted at #72 on October 26, 1959.

Pretend -Carl Mann

This had previously been a hit back in 1957 for Tab Smith, but Carl will have the bigger of the two versions. He is able to get the song to 57 & keep it on the chart for 7 weeks. So, even though it was the bigger of the two, it still wasn’t a blockbuster.

Carl hit the Top 40 for the 1st & only time earlier in the year & it seems as though this will be the final time he charts at all until he has a #100 hit on the Country Chart in 1976.

I really wish we had some record of who was playing on these old singles. There is some serious jamming going on here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF-hGE_u5Gc

Perhaps it was just a jam ahead of its time?
    cablejockey likes this.

This song debuted at #95 during the week of November 23, 1959. If anyone ever asks you, "what was the last song to hit #1 during the decade of the 50's?" you can tell them this:

Why – Frankie Avalon

It goes all the way to #1 in just 4 weeks, quickly enough to peak before the end of the year, but in the rush to get there it forgot about any longevity. It stays on the chart for 16 weeks, but just 1 of those weeks will be spent at #1. Peter DeAngelis & Bob Marcucci wrote it. The song also hits #6 on the R&B Chart & #20 in the UK.

This was the 2nd & final time Frankie hit #1. The song will hit #13 in 1972 when it is released by Donny Osmond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGijoWb9aYo

Ahhh, I needed that huge smile this morning. I giggled just like I did when I was 12. Love that song, takes me back in a nice way. His song, Venus, was one of the few I purchased - a 45rpm to play on my powder blue record player.
    razorbacker likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Since you know what the final #1 hit of the 50's was you probably need to know (yes you really need it) what the very first #1 hit was for the decade of the 60's & here it is. It debuted at #88 on the week of November 9, 1959 (two weeks before the last #1 hit of the 50's).

El Paso – Marty Robbins

Marty wrote this one himself. It will spend 22 weeks on the charts & get all the way to #1 in early January. The song is in the Grammy Hall Of Fame, it also won the first Grammy ever awarded in the category Best Country & Western Performance.

Marty wrote this in a car as he and his family were traveling through Texas on the way to Arizona.

The western ballad was produced by Don Law, the man who produced the only known recordings of blues giant Robert Johnson in the 1930s.
    At 4:40, this song was exceptionally long by pop standards. This was the first time a song longer than four minutes hit #1 on the Pop Charts (it was also a #1 country hit). "El Paso" was over a minute longer than any other #1 on the Hot 100 that year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UVVS5-9HvA

So saddle up. This was a big one.

Indeed, yes. Another slow, dreamy number.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I haven't had any thing of exceptional value to post in a while & I may not now...LOL! but here are two classic songs that hit the chart at the same time on Dec. 21, 1959. Do you remember these gems?

Teen Angel – Mark Dinning

This song debuted at #1oo & is going to spend 18 weeks on the chart & it will go all the way to #1 in early February 1960, becoming the 3rd #1 hit of 1960. We aren’t even out of the 1959 charts yet & already we have heard 3 of the 19 #1 hits of next year. The song spends 2 weeks at the top & comes in as the 9th biggest single of the year. The song also hits #5 on the R&B Chart, his only time to cross over to R&B. The song was written by Jean (Mark’s sister) & Red Surrey (her husband).

This was the 1st hit single for Mark & his only Top 40 hit. He will hit the Hot 100 three more times but never gets out of the 60’s again. Mark was from Drury Oklahoma. He was just 52 when he died of a heart attack in 1986.

In the UK, BBC DJs refused to play this as it was too morbid, so it only reached #37 in the British charts.

Sha-Na-Na played this at Woodstock in 1969.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSWB5NdZHKs

Sweet Nothin’s – Brenda Lee

This song debuted just one spot better than Mark Dinning at 99. Dub Albritten & Ronnie Self wrote it. It is going to stay around for 24 weeks & it climbs so slowly that it won’t peak at #4 until the middle of April. The song will hit 12 on the R&B Chart but oddly enough it avoids the Country chart. She has just barely turned 15 at this time. 15, for cryin out loud & listen to the voice!

This was the 1st time Brenda had charted at all since 1957, and it was also her very 1st Top 40 hit. 1960 is going to be a huge year for Brenda with 4 top 10’s including 2 #1 hits. She continues to be a Pop star all the way through the 60’s & won’t hit the Country Charts again until 1971 (she had one minor crossover in 1957), when she begins to dominate over there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs2h18M6ky8

The decade of the 50's is coming to end. The 1960's are in the headlights!

Evidently no one much cared for the last two songs I posted, so in the vein of try, try again, here is another one that may (or may not) strike your fancy.

This song debuted at #95 on February 1, 1960. The artist was a 1 hit wonder, but the song was pretty important to one soon to debut label & as a writer the singer is goong on to some pretty big heights.

Money (That’s What I Want) – Barrett Strong

Barrett has the 1st version & the 2nd most popular version of this song to land, all together there will be 4 different versions. Barrett gets to #23, The Kingsmen will go to 16 in 1964, Jr. Walker gets it to 52 in 1966 & The Flying Lizards peak at 50 in 1980. The song was written by Janie Bradford & Berry Gordy. The song goes to #2 on the R&B Chart.

This song about the love of money earned lots of cash for Berry Gordy and helped get his Motown label off the ground. He started Tamla Records in 1959, and "Money" was the eighth single released from the label, and the first to become a hit.

The original release was in August 1959, but the song didn't chart until it was re-released in early 1960 on Anna Records, which was the label formed by Berry's sisters Anna and Gwendolyn Gordy along with the songwriter Billy Davis. Anna Records had a better distribution system in place at the time, which helped promote the single.

This was the only hit for Barrett Strong as an artist, but he wrote many classic songs with fellow Motown writer Norman Whitfield, including "Papa Was A Rollin' Stone," "War" and "I Heard It Through the Grapevine." He was just 18 when he recorded "Money."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeVx1C73o8k

+ Reply to Thread