+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

Re: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

1959 seemed to have about 1.5 gazillion 1 Hit Wonders that fired their lone shot during the year & went away quietly into the night. For some of them it was pretty obviuos why they never hit again, but others seemed to get a really short shaft & should have been given a better shot at stardom. This was one of those folks.

This song debuted on the chart dated July 20, 1959 & it began life at #95.

Linda Lu – Ray Sharpe

He wrote the song himself, it will stay around for 13 weeks & it just misses out on the Top 40 coming to rest at #46.

Ray was from Ft. Worth Texas. He is an American R&B and rockabilly singer, guitarist, and songwriter. Many of his recordings are sometimes classed as rockabilly – he was described by one record producer as "the greatest white-sounding black dude ever".

This single was produced by Lee Hazlewood (the guy that will bring us so many hits by Nancy Sinatra later in life), and features Duane Eddy and Ray on guitar. Later in his career (1966) Ray would record on the Trey label (owned by Hazelwood) & some of those recordings included King Curtis on sax and Jimi Hendrix on guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4SPbRmWROs

Now why wasn't this a bigger hit & why did Ray not get a bigger audience? 1959....for cryin out loud this guy was cookin!
    Miss Scarlet likes this.

I like that one. I noticed that The Rolling Stones also had a version of Linda Lu, but it wasn't nearly as good. Pretty bad I fact.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

On the week that the above song debuted on the charts, there were 10 brand new singles to enter the Hot 100 for the 1st time & 5 of them were from 1 Hit Wonder acts. None of them stood up to this one, but it just goes to show how 1959 had tons of them. One of them was The Knightsbridge Strings, an orchestra from the UK, it was pretty obvious that they wouldn't have a long line of hits.

In 1959 there were 15 different singles that went to #1. On the week of July 27 two of those singles hit the chart at the same time. It's interesting to note that both singles were also 1st hit singles for the groups & that neither one of them ever hit #1 again. And, boy these songs couldn't have been any more different in style or substance.

This one debuted at #95:

Sleep Walk – Santo & Johnny

This song is going to chart twice with the 2nd not coming close to the success of this version. These guys get the song to #1 where it stays for 2 weeks & comes in as the 10th biggest single of the year. Meanwhile Larry Carlton will release his version in 1982 & see it stall at #74.

Santo & Johnny were the brothers Farina from Brooklyn, they co – wrote the song themselves. This was their 1st chart hit & the 1st of just 2 Top 40 hit singles with the other one happening before 1959 is out.

They did write lyrics to this song, but decided not to use them. Some artists who have covered the song have added the lyrics, including Betsy Brye and Modest Mouse. Other notable covers were by Chet Atkins, The Shadows, The Ventures, Deftones, and Joe Satriani. The Brian Setzer Orchestra earned a Grammy with their 1997 version for Best Pop Instrumental Performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rwfqsjimRM

This one debuted at #63:

The Three Bells – The Browns

This one was written by Bert Reisfeld & Jean Villard. It will stay on the chart for 17 weeks with 4 of those weeks being at #1. The song will come in as the 5th biggest hit single of the year.

The Browns were Jim Edward & his sisters Maxine & Bonnie. They were from Sparkman Arkansas. This was their first charting hit & not only does it stay at #1 for 4 weeks, but it will top the Country Chart for 10 weeks.

By topping the Country Chart for 10 weeks the song set the record for the longest reign by a group (of at least three members) for nearly 56 years, until Little Big Town's "Girl Crush" racked up its eleventh week on the summit in 2015.

The star of the story in the original French version was Jean-Francois Nicot. When the song was anglicized, Jean-Francois Nicot became Jimmy Brown. It was just coincidence that the Browns' male vocalist, Jim Ed Brown, had the same name as the song's character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTkbj56bnYs

The Browns would get to the top 1st & stay there for 4 weeks & they were kicked out by Santo & Johnny.
    Miss Scarlet likes this.

It's been a while since I posted one of these, mostly because I feel like I have an audience of me LOL!, but I can't let this one go by. It 1st hit the charts at #82 on September 21, 1959:

Shout – The Isley Brothers

Boy does this song have a weird chart history. The Isleys will hit #47 this time around, but they release it again in 1962 & stall out at #92. Joey Dee will have the biggest hit of all as he gets to #6 in 1962. Lulu releases it twice as well but never gets out of the 90’s. She hits 94 in 1964 & 97 in 1967. Then The Chambers Brothers release it as a single in 1969 & fall out at #83. And despite the lack of huge chart numbers the song is in The Grammy Hall Of Fame. O’Kelly, Ronald & Rudolph Isley wrote it.

This was the first chart hit for The Isley Brothers but it certainly won’t be their last, they will be charting as late as 2001. However, they won’t hit the Top 40 on the Pop Chart until 1962. This song did not hit the R&B Chart at all.

The Isleys wrote this on the spur of the moment at a Washington, DC, concert in mid-1959. As they performed Jackie Wilson's "Lonely Teardrops," Ronald Isley ad-libbed, "WELLLLLLLLLLL... you know you make me want to SHOUT" and Rudy and O'Kelly joined in on the improvisation. The audience went wild and afterwards, RCA executive Howard Bloom suggested putting it out as their first RCA single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEjLFpU2pJ4

Now put your hands up & SHOUT!
    cablejockey likes this.

I will! That is a great old song!
    razorbacker likes this.

Ah...jump and SHOUT!
    razorbacker likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    I will! That is a great old song!
    And a pretty cool video to go with it, I thought.

Nice thread. Brought memories of Miss Brown to You - Billie Holliday
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTnoIDRxEbc
    razorbacker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Daizy Johns View Post
    Nice thread. Brought memories of Miss Brown to You - Billie Holliday
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTnoIDRxEbc
    That is so good old time jazz. Benny Goodman on Clarinet, nice!

+ Reply to Thread