+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

Re: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

Struck out on those songs above I reckon.

The names, but not the songs, resonated.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    The names, but not the songs, resonated.
    You didn't recognize the Chuck Berry song? Maybe you remember Linda Rondstadts version.

The Bobby Day has background sounds like his Little Pretty One. Remember.

I do recognize the Chuck Berry now that I listened to it. Seeing him in context with the top ten lineup shown in the introduction from Ryan Seacrest's mentor does bring back memories.

I recognize the Impalas, but not that song. There seemed to be the same rhythm from another of their songs whose title I don't remember.

Skip and Flip? I see that they did a version of Cherry Pie in 1959, but the one I remember is from Marvin and Johnny back in 1954.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tPjZOXNEXo

The Impalas, Oh What a Fool I Was, also 1959 (I was in 7th Grade) a time when after school dances began to happen. But, this song was not on our playlist.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    The Bobby Day has background sounds like his Little Pretty One. Remember.

I do recognize the Chuck Berry now that I listened to it. Seeing him in context with the top ten lineup shown in the introduction from Ryan Seacrest's mentor does bring back memories.

I recognize the Impalas, but not that song. There seemed to be the same rhythm from another of their songs whose title I don't remember.

Skip and Flip? I see that they did a version of Cherry Pie in 1959, but the one I remember is from Marvin and Johnny back in 1954.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tPjZOXNEXo

The Impalas, Oh What a Fool I Was, also 1959 (I was in 7th Grade) a time when after school dances began to happen. But, this song was not on our playlist.
    I have found that there were a lot of artists back in the 50's that once they had a hit song, they tended to try & duplicate the sound as much as possible. Bobby Day is a good example. Johnny Otis was another one. He hit with Willie & The Hand Jive & then almost every single after that sounded like Willie & The Hand Jive....again, & again.

Cherry Pie will be the final Hot 100 hit single for Skip & Flip, then Skip goes on to bigger & better things with The Burrito Brothers, New Riders etc. I liked the Marvin & Johnny version, must have been a lot of slow dancing going on back in the day...HA!

You have a good memory, that Impalas song was indeed 1959, but it charted only at #86. It must have been a bigger local hit where you were than it was on the National scene.

Two pretty famous songs hit the chart on the same week of July 6, 1959:

This one began at #85:

Sea Of Love – Phil Phillips With The Twilights

This song will hit the charts 3 separate times & all 3 of them are going to be pretty successful. This will be the biggest of the 3 but not by much. Phil gets his version to #2, while Gary Lewis will hit 18 in 1968 & The Honeydrippers get to #3 in 1985. The song was written by Phil Baptiste & George Khoury . Not only was this his only Top 10 hit single, it was also the only time he hit the Hot 100. Now that is a true 1 Hit Wonder right there.

Phil Baptiste was actually not only one of the writers but also the singer, whose real name was John Phillip Baptiste. He was from Lake Charles Louisiana. George Khoury was also the record producer, he also suggested the name change for Phil.

In 1958 Phil was working as a bellhop. There was a girl named Verdie Mae Thomas who he was trying to impress, and since he was good with a guitar, he decided to impress her with a song. In the Billboard Book of One Hit Wonders, Phillips is quoted as saying: "I had my guitar, so I went and wrote this song, 'Sea of Love.' You see, she really didn't believe in me. But I felt if I could sing about it - a sea of love where it's quiet and peaceful - I could really show her how much I loved her and cared for her."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI2b8J-aKKc

This one began at 82:

What’d I Say – Ray Charles

Ray will get his version of this song to #6 making it his 1st Top 10 hit single. This version also goes to #1 on the R&B Chart. This certainly won’t be the final time the song charts. In 1961 Jerry Lewis gets it to 30, Bobby Darin to 24 in 1962, Elvis Presley to 21 in 1964 & Rare Earth to 61 in 1972. Ray wrote the song & his version is in The Grammy Hall OF Fame.

Hit singles come from many places & inspirations. Ray improvised this onstage at a club in Brownsville, Pennsylvania in December 1958 after he played every song he knew and still had 12 minutes to fill. He simply asked his band to follow his lead... which they did. He told his backing singers (The Raeletts) to simply repeat whatever he said. He remembered: "I had sung everything I could think of. So I said to the guys, 'Look, I'm going to start this thing off, I don't know where I'm going, so y'all just follow me.' And I said to the girls, 'Whatever I say, just repeat after me.'"

The story goes that at the end, the club-goers gathered, begging for the tune's title so they could buy the record. Predictably, the song was recorded as soon as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAjeSS3kktA

I just watched the movie Sea Of Love last week. Al Pacino, John Goodman & the role that made Ellen Barkin a star. Good movie.
    Miss Scarlet likes this.

Talk about Sea of Love and slow dancing...sigh. We even themed a Girls' League dinner after it and each year had a competing table. Slow dancing was first learned as a box waltz with proper holds. It wasn't until high school that you went cheek to cheek...none of this huggy, grabby stuff (as Len Goodman -DWTS) might say.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Struck out on those songs above I reckon.
    Didn't strike out. It just took me a bit longer to get to this.
    I'd heard of the singers, but not the songs. Bobby Day I knew from Rockin' Robin & Little Bitty Pretty One.

Chuck Berry in the late 50's really was a sight to see. Very much the entertainer, maybe even more than singer. I loved watching that one.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

You're batting 1000 with today's entres. I knew both of them quite well & liked them both a lot.
    Sea of Love is such a great song I'm surprised he was a 1 Hit Wonder.
    I had no idea What'd I Say was ever recorded by anyone other than Ray Charles. His is a true classic.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    You're batting 1000 with today's entres. I knew both of them quite well & liked them both a lot.
    Sea of Love is such a great song I'm surprised he was a 1 Hit Wonder.
    I had no idea What'd I Say was ever recorded by anyone other than Ray Charles. His is a true classic.
    Hey hey, I finally struck gold. Glad to see I found something familiar & especially something you liked. Perhaps it will happen more often as we get closer to the 60's on the Billboard chart?
    Miss Scarlet likes this.

+ Reply to Thread