+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

Re: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

Nice to see you back, razorbacker. I'm enjoying all your songs & especially the background information. Many I know & many I don't but I enjoy & appreciate them all. I also enjoy clicking on the other songs listed on the right. There's usually a great memory in the bunch.
    On the first one, There Goes My Baby by the Drifters, I sure remember The Drifters, and Ben E King. I clicked on Up On The Roof on the right, also by the Drifters. I've always loved that song.
    razorbacker likes this.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Nice to see you back, razorbacker. I'm enjoying all your songs & especially the background information. Many I know & many I don't but I enjoy & appreciate them all. I also enjoy clicking on the other songs listed on the right. There's usually a great memory in the bunch.
    On the first one, There Goes My Baby by the Drifters, I sure remember The Drifters, and Ben E King. I clicked on Up On The Roof on the right, also by the Drifters. I've always loved that song.
    When it comes to The Drifters, I am torn between On Broadway & Under The Boardwalk. & I'll go with Stand By Me for Ben E. King. All good stuff coming down the pipe in a couple of years after the songs I just posted.
    Miss Scarlet likes this.

The days of am radio back in the 50’s & 60’s was an interesting time. You could stay tuned to the same station & hear almost anything from any genre. Like these songs that all debuted on the Hot 100 during the week of June 15, 1959.

We had your Oscar Winning hit of the year debuting at 97:

Small World – Johnny Mathis
    This one was written by Stephen Sondheim & Jule Styne & it will stick around for 15 weeks & peak at #20. The song comes from the Broadway play Gypsy starring Ethyl Merman.
    Jule wrote the music for the play while Stephen was the lyrics guy. The musical contains many songs that became popular standards, including "Everything's Coming up Roses", "Together (Wherever We Go)", "Small World", "You Gotta Get a Gimmick", "Let Me Entertain You", "All I Need Is the Girl", and "Rose's Turn". It is frequently considered one of the crowning achievements of the mid-20th century's conventional musical theater art form, often called the "book musical".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhWfp9qb7e8

We had your eerie instrumentals, debuting at #92:

Taboo – Arthur Lyman
    Margarita Lecuona wrote this one. It will get to #55 & stay around for 6 weeks.
    Arthur was a multi – instrumentalist from Kauai Hawaii. This was his 1st charting single as a solo artist, but he was also a member of Martin Denny & The Exotic Sounds & those guys had a #4 hit earlier in the year with a song called Quiet Village. This was the only Top 40 hit for Arthur, but the Exotic Sounds will have one more later in the year. Arthur as a solo & with the group will have a few more nice hits over on the AC Charts in the early 60’s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zf4kgAgARE

We had your protest song debuting at 74:

M.T.A. – The Kingston Trio
    Bess Hawes & Jacqueline Steiner wrote this one. It stays around for 11 weeks but in that short time it climbs to #15.
    The C.F. Martin & Company guitar manufacturers has attributed the dramatic rise in demand for its instruments in the early 1960s in large part to the Kingston Trio's use of their guitars, featured prominently and without compensation on nearly all of their album covers. A Martin company press release in 2007 announcing a fourth Kingston Trio commemorative model guitar stated that
    ...The Kingston Trio changed everything about popular music—and the entire acoustic guitar industry along with it... It was the rise of The Kingston Trio that really established Martin as "America's Guitar"...The Kingston Trio wasn't just a musical group. It was a phenomenon, as influential in its time as The Beatles would become in theirs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbtkL5_f6-4

And we had your cool vibing Pop/R&B hit debuting at 62:

Since You’ve Been Gone – Clyde McPhatter
    As we advance through 1959 one name we are beginning to see with regularity is Neil Sedaka, he co – wrote this song along with his partner Howard Greenfield. The song will stay on the chart for 13 weeks & come in at #38. This was the only time Clyde hit the Top 40 in 1959. The song hit 14 on the R&B Chart.
    Howard Greenfield wrote a hugely long list of hit singles & was inducted into the Songwriters Hall OF Fame in 1991. And, singles weren’t his only game, he also wrote the Theme Song to the TV Show Bewitched.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3KS-QhegAA

It sure would be nice to go back to the days when you had some variety & never had to change the channel to get it.

PS: Also debuting this week were new songs from Pat Boone & Fabian for the less adventurous & white bread eating types of folks.
    Miss Scarlet likes this.

Looks like you completely stumped me this time. Never heard of any of these songs, although some of the singers/songwriters were familiar. I did enjoy them though.

Although, I do remember back in the time where all genres of music were played on the same station. I'd like that now. We'd get a much better exposure music that doesn't fit into an exact niche. Radio stations concentrate strictly on their own niche & we just don't get to hear the rest, especially when the amount of stations you have to pick from, like around here, is very limited.
    razorbacker likes this.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

M.T.A. Love it! I can see the trio now onstage strumming away and everyone singing along with them. The folk songs were my wheelhouse when I was in high school.

Since You’ve Been Gone was another that I heard often on the radio.

Oh, geez...what was that flirty song that had a sort of french tango beat to it...argh! I used to sing that all the time.

Anyway...The Merry Minuet..."And I don't like anybody very much!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp6dsKleGpU

Any of their songs are terrific.
    Miss Scarlet likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Looks like you completely stumped me this time. Never heard of any of these songs, although some of the singers/songwriters were familiar. I did enjoy them though.

Although, I do remember back in the time where all genres of music were played on the same station. I'd like that now. We'd get a much better exposure music that doesn't fit into an exact niche. Radio stations concentrate strictly on their own niche & we just don't get to hear the rest, especially when the amount of stations you have to pick from, like around here, is very limited.
    Some of these things stump me too, but that's what I find interesting about the whole thing. For instance I thought that song Taboo was way ahead of it's time. It sounds more like something from the psychedelic 60's than the late 50's. And you just can't lose with Clyde McPhatter. During this whole era, it seemed to me that the black artists were much more interesting that what was coming from the white group. Sam Cooke or Pat Boone? Perry Como or Brook Benton? Doris Day or Etta James?

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    M.T.A. Love it! I can see the trio now onstage strumming away and everyone singing along with them. The folk songs were my wheelhouse when I was in high school.

Since You’ve Been Gone was another that I heard often on the radio.

Oh, geez...what was that flirty song that had a sort of french tango beat to it...argh! I used to sing that all the time.

Anyway...The Merry Minuet..."And I don't like anybody very much!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp6dsKleGpU

Any of their songs are terrific.
    Thanks for the link to The Merry Minuet. That's another one that I had never heard before. Good stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA5MAF6NDsk

This is the song I was trying to remember. A song of seduction by the Limeliters.

Have some madeira, m'dear? You really have nothing to fear.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA5MAF6NDsk

This is the song I was trying to remember. A song of seduction by the Limeliters.

Have some madeira, m'dear? You really have nothing to fear.
    That was some good stuff. Funny intro.

I said a few of these posts back that it was my opinion that during the early days or Rock & Roll the black artists were so much more compelling & interesting than what we were seeing from the white “heart throbs” that were making waves. Here are 4 examples of songs, (2 from white artists & 2 from black artists), that all landed on the charts on June 22, 1959.

This one debuted at #100

Oh What A Fool – The Impalas
    These folks get a 5 week stay with this one but it gets only to #86 on the chart. The song was written by Harry Giosasi & Artie Zwim & this was the only version to chart.
    The song writers were the guys that discovered this group. They also wrote their only Top 40 hit single called Sorry, (I Ran All The Way Home), which charted earlier in the year. They never hit the Top 40 again & won’t chart at all anymore in the 60’s.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rktyfDflSSA

This one debuted at #82

Gotta New Girl – Bobby Day
    Bobby wrote the song but that doesn’t help him on the charts. This was the only week it appeared, so 82 it is.
    This seems to be the final Hot 100 hit single for Bobby. He hit the Top 40 just once with Rockin Robin & he had a #11 hit single as a member of The Hollywood Flames with their song Buzz-Buzz-Buzz, other than that it was mid 50’s or worse in his solo career. But, all is not lost yet. He goes on to form a duo called Bob & Earl with Earl Nelson & they will have a couple of minor hits in the early 60’s.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsThhTyLdIA

This one began at #92

It Was I – Skip & Flip
    This one will go all the way to #11 & stick around for 16 weeks. The song was written by Gary Paxton. This was the 1st hit single for these guys. They will have 2 Top 40 hits in the next 7 months & both of them will land at 11 on the charts. They will release 7 total singles but just 3 of them will make it to the Hot 100. Lindsey Buckingham recorded this for his 1st album & released it as a single to no success.

These guys were actually Gary “Flip” Paxton, the writer of the song. In later years he started the Bakersfield International label in the mid-1960s, attempting to cash in on the Bakersfield sound. He even moved to Nashville in the 70’s where he recorded several country albums under his own name and also became well-known in the Gospel genre.

Clyde “Skip” Battin eventually ended up playing in such groups as The Byrds, New Riders of the Purple Sage and the Flying Burrito Brothers, as well as doing session work with a wide variety of artists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJBYs9AFgiM

And this one started out at 56

Back In The U.S.A. – Chuck Berry
    Chuck wrote the song & he will see it get to #37, but he won’t be nearly as successful as Linda Rondstadt will when her version goes to #16 in 1978. This will be the last time Chuck hits the Top 40 until 1964.
    This was the “A” side of the single & the “B” side was his original version of "Memphis, Tennessee," which with the title shortened to "Memphis," became a hit for Lonnie Mack in 1963 (#5 US) and for Johnny Rivers in 1964 (#2 US).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23y2Cz40zs4

So what say you. Who was making the more interesting music?
    Miss Scarlet likes this.

+ Reply to Thread