+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

Re: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

Never heard of them or of the song, but it did have me swaying back & forth in the chair.
    razorbacker likes this.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

I am going to add two songs to this thread now. Both come from the week of January 26, 1959. The first one is added because it was the debut sngle from one of the truly great artists & vocalists of the era. And the 2nd one is being brought forth as one of the strangest hit singles in a long time. I hope you enjoy both of them, even if one will leave you scratching your head.

This one debuted at #92.

It’s Just A Matter Of Time – Brook Benton

Brook is headed to #3 with this song. It will be released again in 1970 by Sonny James but his version goes only to #87. Brook co – wrote the song with Belford Hendricks & Clyde Otis. It was the first time Brook hit the Top 40 on the Pop Charts. The song gets to #1 on the R&B Charts & stays there for 9 weeks making it the longest #1 hit of the year. It was also his very first time to chart on the R&B Charts at all. The version by Sonny James will become a #1 Country Hit as well.

The song was originally designated for Nat King Cole & he agreed to record it. However, Clyde Otis became the A&R Manager at Mercury Records & he in turn signed Brook Benton as an artist. At that point it was decided the song would make for a good debut for Brook & Nat was asked not to record it.

Brook would eventually sing the song on his very first national TV appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVpaXi5kuXA

This one debuted at #64.

Ambrose (Part 5) – Linda Laurie

Linda co – wrote this song with Wes McWain & Lou Sprung. It was her only Hot 100 hit single & it is going to peak at #52 while staying on the chart for 9 weeks.

Linda was still in High School (Abraham Lincoln High School in Brooklyn, New York) when this single came out. There were no parts 1 – 4 despite this being part 5. As a songwriter she may be best remembered for the song, Leave Me Alone (Ruby Red Dress), which went to #3 for Helen Reddy in late 1973. She also wrote the theme song for the 70s Saturday morning show "Land Of The Lost".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Z4SFc3uho

And so we go from the sublime to the ridiculous in the wonderful 50's.

I guess no one cares for Ambrose. sigh....

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Matilda – Cookie & His Cupcakes
    This song will spend an incredible 15 weeks on the charts, but in all that time it won’t even crack the Top 40. It was written by George Khoury & Huey Thierry & it’s going to peak at #47. The group never had a Top 40 hit.

This was the first charting single for this group from Lake Charles Louisiana. Huey Thierry was “Cookie” & he was the co – lead vocalist
    I have a record you would probably really enjoy (first CD I ever bought). There's a Cookie song on it called Blue Bayou Shuffle. The record is called The.Story of Goldband Records - it's a compendium of songs from a Louisiana record company, including a bouncy little tune called Puppy Love by a 13 year old Dolly Parton, and Phil.Phillips going Stormy Weather.
    And so it begins, the end of times..

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    I have a record you would probably really enjoy (first CD I ever bought). There's a Cookie song on it called Blue Bayou Shuffle. The record is called The.Story of Goldband Records - it's a compendium of songs from a Louisiana record company, including a bouncy little tune called Puppy Love by a 13 year old Dolly Parton, and Phil.Phillips going Stormy Weather.
    Sounds like some good stuff on there. Interesting choice for your first CD.

As for Ambrose, I'm amazed that got any airplay at all. It was ridiculously stupid. I felt like it was 2 1/2 minutes of my life wasted. Dumb, dumb, dumb. The male voice sounded like George Burns.

I'm ready for more of the good stuff, razorbacker.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    As for Ambrose, I'm amazed that got any airplay at all. It was ridiculously stupid. I felt like it was 2 1/2 minutes of my life wasted. Dumb, dumb, dumb. The male voice sounded like George Burns.

I'm ready for more of the good stuff, razorbacker.
    I just had to post Ambrose. It was truly one of the weirder hit single I have ever heard. They can't all be Let It Be's....HaHa.
    Miss Scarlet likes this.

Perhaps this will be a bit more palatable.

This song debuted at #89 on February 9, 1959.

Sea Cruise – Frankie Ford

Frankie will have the 1st & most successful version of this song as he gets it all the way to #14. Johnny Rivers will not be quite so fortunate when he releases it in 1971 & sees it stall out at #81. Huey “Piano” Smith & John Vincent wrote this one. The song also hit #11 on the R&B chart, selling over one million copies, and gaining gold disc status.

This was the 1st charting single for Frankie & his only Top 40 hit single. He was born Francis Guzzo (nice decision on the name change) in Gretna Louisiana & he was still just 19 at the time of this record. Frankie will continue to release new material into the 60’s but he just never had much success after this song. He hit the Hot 100 three different times in the very early 60's & never charted any higher than 72. Fame is a fleeting thing I reckon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5tIHtbctFQ

Man the lifeboats, the ship is going down.
    Miss Scarlet likes this.

Much better. I remember that one well. Fun song, and fun clip with him in that little boat. I remember they used to do things like that on TV shows with singers. They'd set them up in ridiculous sets usually centered around the song, only sillier. The singers had to feel ridiculous.

I always like debut hit singles, so here is one that charted for the first time on February 16, 1959. It first debuted at #94.

Since I Don’t Have You – The Skyliners

This song will stay on the charts for 19 weeks, but it falls just shy of the top 10 when it peaks at #12. All the members of the group are credited as writers. The song will chart many more times in the future, but it never gets this high again. It hits #47 in 1964 for Chuck Jackson, #53 in 1979 for Art Garfunkel, #23 in 1981 for Don McLean & #69 in 1994 for Guns & Roses.

These folks were a white doo – wop group out of Pittsburgh. They will have 3 Top 40 hits & 6 Hot 100 hit singles in all. Jimmy Beaumont, wrote most of the lyrics while sitting in his car between stoplights. He was upset about a girl who had just left him. The song has been used in the movies American Graffiti, The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai, Lethal Weapon 2 and Mischief.

The group was inducted into the Vocal Group Hall of Fame in 2002.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngZh6ZSRoYg

Even if you weren't around back then ya gotta know this one right? RIGHT?
    Miss Scarlet likes this.

+ Reply to Thread