+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

Re: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

I have to post this song if for no other reason than the bizarre story behind it. It debuted at #56 on the Billboard chart of December 22, 1958.

All American Boy – Billy Parson

Billy Co – wrote this song with Orville Lundsford (or so the label on the 45 says). It is going to spend 16 weeks on the charts & peak at #2 in February of 1959. This was his 1st Top 40 hit single & his only Top 100 hit (sort of) .

Billy Pasrons was not the actual artist performing this song. This single was left at a recording studio as a demo by the real singer when he went away for a stint in the Army. In a mix up, the single was released & credited to Billy Parsons.

The singer’s real name is Bobby Bare who will go on to have a huge Country career charting singles well into the 80’s.

And in an even stranger twist, While Bobby Bare was in the Army, Billy Parsons lip synced the record on TV.

The song was inspired by the success and then conscription of Elvis Presley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w222xmmY1B0

So we have a guy...Billy Parsons...who was a 1 Hit Wonder without ever really having a hit single at all.
    Miss Scarlet likes this.

Nowadays the lawyers would have a field day with that one.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

I'll post this one not because it's such a great song, but because it is the debut single from one of the biggest Pop Icons of the 50's & 60's.

The song debuted at #98 on the Chart dated January 5, 1959:

Tall Paul – Annette

This song will stay on the charts for 15 weeks & get all the way to #7. It was written by Bob Roberts & The Brothers Sherman, Richard & Robert.

This was the 1st hit single for Annette Funicello who dropped the last name for all of her recordings, she was just Annette. The total billing of her songs goes to Annette & The Afterbeats.

Is she more famous for all those Beach Movie she did with Frankie Avalon or as one of the original Mousketeers, or all those Disney movies in which she starred? Regardless, she was a huge part of the teen experience of the 50’s & 60’s & she is going to have 5 Top 40 hit singles, but this was her biggest of all. There is no reference I can find as to who the Afterbeats were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MsIl79hnj8
    cablejockey and Miss Scarlet like this.

That marionette part of the video was kind of disturbing.
    The guy in the stills in the middle looked kind of like Paul Anka. I wonder if it was.

Anyhow, I remember this song clearly. In 1959 I was up to my eyeballs in all things Mickey Mouse Club. Heck with the teens, she was huge with the preschool & little kid set.
    cablejockey likes this.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    That marionette part of the video was kind of disturbing.
    The guy in the stills in the middle looked kind of like Paul Anka. I wonder if it was.

Anyhow, I remember this song clearly. In 1959 I was up to my eyeballs in all things Mickey Mouse Club. Heck with the teens, she was huge with the preschool & little kid set.
    Ha, yeah Annette was it, well until Haley Mills rolled onto the scene. Then it was all Haley for me

Here is a single that debuted at #79 on the chart dated January 12, 1959.

I’m A Man – Fabian
    And another teen idol makes his debut. This one gets to #31 & stays around for 10 weeks. Doc Pomus & Mort Shuman were the writers. He had already released 2 other singles that had failed to chart.

The teen heartthrob thing was in full swing at this time. Fabian joins the likes of Paul Anka, Freddy Cannon, Elvis Presley, The Everly Brothers, Pat Boone, Ricky Nelson, Ritchie Valens, Bobby Darin, Frankie Avalon, Buddy Holly, Buddy Knox, & Tommy Sands who are already on the chart (some of them have multiple singles in the Hot 100) at this time. There were so many of these types of teen idols around that the women were getting squeezed into the far reaches of the charts. Connie Francis & LaVern Baker were the only solo female singers inside the Top 30.

Fabian Forte was from Philadelphia, despite the title of this single, Fabian was still just 16. He will have 8 Top 40 hits & 11 Hot 100 singles. He will also act in several movies in his career.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-QqHYoFrjg
    cablejockey likes this.

It was Fabian vs. Frankie - bad boy vs. good boy...I was and will always be a Frankie girl.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    It was Fabian vs. Frankie - bad boy vs. good boy...I was and will always be a Frankie girl.
    So who was the bad boy? I'm out of the loop on that one.

Fabian with his slicked back hair and hip action was the bad guy.

Frankie with his pompadour and suits with that crooner voice was the good guy.

It was all about image as a few years later it morphed into the Rolling Stones vs. The Beatles.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Some of the artists I have recently highlighted went on to bigger & better things. These guys will not be so fortunate, but this was their 1st chart hit & I thought it was really good & pointed to a career that just never really took off.

The song debuted at #94 on January 19, 1959. Anyone remember this one? I certainly didn't!

Matilda – Cookie & His Cupcakes

This song will spend an incredible 15 weeks on the charts, but in all that time it won’t even crack the Top 40. It was written by George Khoury & Huey Thierry & it’s going to peak at #47. The group never had a Top 40 hit.

This was the first charting single for this group from Lake Charles Louisiana. Huey Thierry was “Cookie” & he was the co – lead vocalist & also played Sax. They were a pretty popular regional act down south & at times even toured with Jerry Lee Lewis, & Fats Domino. Great vocals, if this don't get the head to bobbin nothin will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2W2aB7E24M

+ Reply to Thread