+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

Re: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Well there were a couple of pretty big debuting artists on the last post I made, so here is another one. This song first charted on September 29, 1958.

Tom Dooley – The Kingston Trio

This song was written by group member Dave Guard. It was the 1st chart hit for the group & it will become their biggest single & only #1 hit single. The song stays at #1 for just a week but that puts it as the 18th biggest song of the year. The song is in the Grammy Hall Of Fame. At the very first Grammy Awards in 1958, this won for Best Country & Western Performance. The song hit #1 in Australia, Norway, Canada, & Italy & #5 in the UK & #8 in South Africa.

The group consisted of Dave Guard, Bob Shane & Nick Reynolds. Dave Guard was replaced by John Stewart in 1961.

The song is about Tom Dula (pronounced Dooley) who was a real person. He was a gifted fiddle player and enjoyed the company of ladies. During the Civil War he served the Confederacy as a musician and was captured near the end of the war and held as a prisoner of war. After he was released he returned to his life and his relationship with Ann Melton and other women including Ann's cousin Laura Foster. On the day that he and Laura were to be married she disappeared and was found weeks later in a shallow grave. She had been stabbed in the heart.

Tom knew that it was known he was the last person to see her alive so he fled the county and went to work for Colonel James Grayson on his farm in a nearby county. Dula stayed long enough to earn money for a pair of boots and then left for Tennessee where the posse with assistance from Colonel Grayson found him. He was taken back to North Carolina and was represented by ex-Governor of North Carolina Zebulon Vance. After a much publicized trial and appeal he was found guilty and hanged in Statesville North Carolina.

The graves of Laura and Ann are visited each year by a number of tourists. Tom's grave is on private property and is not open to the public. The "Tom Dooley" museum is located in Ferguson North Carolina. The reason for the murder is not known but it appears he may have killed her because of contracting a venereal disease from her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb6I0YkSjb8
    Good song & great background info. I had no idea. It would make a good Made-For-TV-Movie.
    cablejockey and razorbacker like this.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

I was so into folk when in high school. The Kingston Trio was #1 on my preferred listening list.
    cablejockey and razorbacker like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Razorbacker--I am finding your music posts fascinating with so much information and music history!
    razorbacker and Miss Scarlet like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    Razorbacker--I am finding your music posts fascinating with so much information and music history!
    Thank you, I appreciate it. I love the music but I sometimes find the stories behind the songs & the performers are just as fascinating.
    Miss Scarlet likes this.

Back in the 50’s & 60’s when AM radio was the only option, you could turn on your transistor & hear almost anything, from any genre, all back to back & they all had a chance of becoming a hit single. For instance all 4 of these singles first hit the Hot 100 on the Billboard Chart dated October 6th 1958.

We begin with a bit of Country…
    This song debuted at #88.

All Over Again – Johnny Cash

Johnny wrote this one & it will get to #38 on the Pop Charts & #4 on the Country Charts. Johnny will now have quite a long string of middling hits on the Pop Charts, but he is going to continue to slay the Country charts missing out on the Top 10 just 5 times between now & 1965.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw39luAf0e4

Then we will segue into a bit of soulful R&B.
    This one debuted even lower than Johnny Cash, at #90.

A Lover’s Question – Clyde McPhatter
    Clyde has the 1st of 3 different versions of this song to land on the charts, but he has the only one of them to hit the Top 40 (Ernestine Anderson #98 in 1961 & Otis Redding #48 in 1969). This version goes all the way to #6. It is on the charts for 24 weeks & climbs so slowly that it actually hits the peak position in 1959. Jimmy Williams & Brook Benton wrote it.
    This was the 1st time Clyde had hit the Top 10 since his departure from The Drifters & began his solo career. But, he had been pretty successful over on the R&B Charts. This was his 3rd #1 hit & his 8th top 10.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrqW1EBLyJA

And how about a bit of Rock & Roll.
    Debuting just ahead of Johnny Cash at #87.

Well, I’m Your Man – Johnny Tillotson
    This was the 1st charting single for Johnny. It was actually the “B” side of a song called Dreamy Eyes which will chart a bit later in the year. 87 was the peak position of the song but it does get 3 weeks on the chart. Johnny was another of those “teen idol” guys. He was born in Jacksonville Florida but raised in Palatka. He will hit the Top 40 14 different times but the 1st time doesn’t happen until 1960.
    He was inducted in the Florida Artists Hall of Fame in 2011, & into the America's Pop Music Hall of Fame in 2011.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzLAg7RfqDA

And of course the 50’s were famous for the truly cheesy sci fi movies of the era, so I would be remiss if I didn’t include this song.
    This song debuted way down the charts at #97.

The Blob – The Five Blobs
    This one was written by Burt Bacharach & Mack David (the brother of Hal). It comes from the movie starring Steve McQueen. It will get to #33 for the Five Blobs & it was their only hit single.
    Actually The Five Blobs were one guy named Bernie Nee with his vocals dubbed over each other 5 times.
    The movie was about a glob of goo that lands on earth and starts consuming people, growing larger and larger as it threatens the town. The Blob was a legitimate horror movie, at least by 1950s standards, but the song is a bouncy number that seemed to poke fun at the movie, almost anticipating the cult status it would attain many years later.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG2-ccAEcWs

AM Radio of the 50’s, a true mash up of style & substance. Gotta love it…or do you?
    cablejockey and Miss Scarlet like this.

As a child of the 50s I dont remember much from the early part of the decade, but more as the 50s went on. Looking back, there was a mixture of music to listen to--show tunes like Standin On The Corner Watchin All The Girls Go By--which I remember being played a lot on the radio. Poppy tunes like Mr. Sandman is one that caught my attention as a child because I hated going to bed so early. The radio was always on when I was a kid as we didnt have a tv yet!!
    Arielflies likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    As a child of the 50s I dont remember much from the early part of the decade, but more as the 50s went on. Looking back, there was a mixture of music to listen to--show tunes like Standin On The Corner Watchin All The Girls Go By--which I remember being played a lot on the radio. Poppy tunes like Mr. Sandman is one that caught my attention as a child because I hated going to bed so early. The radio was always on when I was a kid as we didnt have a tv yet!!
    You sound like you are just a bit older than I am, not much, but a bit. As I grew up I remember my Mom had the radio on almost all the time. I well remember hearing those songs you mentioned. We had a TV as long as I can remember, but sometimes we lived in an area of the country where the reception or choices of channels was limited to little or none, so radio it was.

I have been posting the lists of Billboard singles since the beginning of the rock era in January 1955 & am now up to 1958 as you can see. If you are interested in seeing new ones as they are added I'll give you a facebook link where you can read them or join in the discussion (which would be great). It is my goal to make it all the way through the 70's but that is certainly going to take some time & who knows if any of us will be alive that long. LOL!

Anyway, for anyone that reads these limited postings, if you would like to read the entire weekly Billboard Charting singles, I'd be more than happy to provide the link for you. Just let me know. Some weeks there are as few as 4 new Hot 100 hits, other weeks there are as many as 30. Lots of stuff to explore.

PS: I just received the chart hits of the 60's & am looking forward to making it to the British Invasion, but that is still 5 years out, chart wise.

While playing All Over Again – Johnny Cash, I saw a bunch of other early Johnny Cash songs & videos, so played a few of them. He looked so darned young. Darned near unrecognizable in a few of them, but the voice and guitar playing style was the same even back then. One of a kind.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    While playing All Over Again – Johnny Cash, I saw a bunch of other early Johnny Cash songs & videos, so played a few of them. He looked so darned young. Darned near unrecognizable in a few of them, but the voice and guitar playing style was the same even back then. One of a kind.
    It was also before he took om the "Man In Black" persona. Johnny & a lot of other Country stars of the era were pretty consistent on the Pop Charts as well. Then there were the cases of George Hamilton IV & Conway Twitty who were pretty big Pop stars until the early to mid 60's when they switched their path to Country & became even bigger Country stars.

Conway Twitty had had 14 Hot 100 Pop hits including the #1 hit It's Only Make Believe up through 1961, then in 1966 he had his 1st Country hit single & never looked back. He had a few minor Pop crossover hits, but he was gong to be a Country star through & through. Beginning in in 1966 he began to hit the Country Charts & in early 1968 he really began to slay. He had 73 charting Country hits & all but 13 of them went Top 5 or higher including an incredible 35 #1's. And it all began with his career as a Pop Star.

I think he made a pretty good career move...HA!
    Miss Scarlet likes this.

There were a total of 10 singles that landed on the charts on October 13, 1958. We still had the likes of Mitch Miller, Perez Prado, Perry Como & Nat “King” Cole releasing new songs & there was also Frankie Avalon & Ricky Nelson, but one thing that was in evidence was the lack of female participation. Out of the 10 new singles this week, this was the only one by a female.

Fallin – Connie Francis

The song debuts at #86. Connie gets 10 weeks on the charts & she’ll peak at #30. This one was written by Howard Greenfield & Neil Sedaka (they were working together in the Brill Building & wrote a couple of hits for Connie).

This was the 4th Top 40 hit for Connie with most of her major successes coming in the early 60’s. But it wasn’t all roses for her. When she was an artist at MGM Records she released nine failed albums and a string of disappointing singles before she landed her first hit with a 1957 duet with Marvin Rainwater: "Majesty of Love."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7RUjXf9wR0

+ Reply to Thread