+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

Re: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

After following your link, I searched for "Nature Boy" and was surprised that I've heard that one somewhere. Nice song.
    As for his living on $3.00 a week, I'll bet that was before he had a few hit songs.
    razorbacker likes this.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

It seems like we have a small audience for these songs, but what the hey, it ain't my band width.

Here is one that 1st charted on March 24, 1958 & it was one of those vaunted 1 Hit Wonders.

He’s Got The Whole World In His Hands – Laurie London

This one is going all the way to #1 where it will sit for 4 weeks. It comes in as the 9th biggest song of the year. It was first published in the paperbound hymnal Spirituals Triumphant, Old and New in 1927.

Despite the first name Laurie was a male & he was born in Bethnal Green, East London. This was his only Top 100 hit single so he hit in a big way & then disappeared. He was just 14 at the time of this record. He evidently had a pretty tough life. After several stints in rehab for an addiction to solvent abuse, he left the music industry except for a few rare public appearances. In the 1990s he ran a hotel, The Angel, in Petworth, West Sussex, but sold it in 2000. He currently lives in North London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqb3NSiSwoc
    Miss Scarlet likes this.

razorbacker, and Debb70 too, I'm enjoying your posts, and looking forward to them. I like hearing the music, especially the ones I remember, and I enjoy the background trivia on the songs & artists.
    razorbacker and Debb70 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    razorbacker, and Debb70 too, I'm enjoying your posts, and looking forward to them. I like hearing the music, especially the ones I remember, and I enjoy the background trivia on the songs & artists.
    I have to say that I get a kick out of the background on most of this stuff. As Rod Stewart sang, Every Picture Tells A Story, well every song has a back story of some sort, whether it comes from the song, the artist or the writer.

For instance, here is another single that charted on the same day as the song above. This is a great song, but check out the inspiration behind it.

Book Of Love – The Monotones

The song gets to #5 & stays around for 18 weeks. It was written by group members Warren Davis, George Malone & Charles Patrick.

These guys were an R&B vocal group out of Newark NJ. This was not only their only Top 10 hit, but it was the only time they hit the Top 100 (yes, it's another 1 Hit Wonder). The group launched their career with a 1956 appearance on Ted Mack's Amateur Hour television program, winning first prize for their rendition of The Cadillacs' "Zoom".

The song itself has a bit of a strange inspiration…Charles Patrick was listening to the radio and heard a Pepsodent toothpaste commercial with the line " Brush Your teeth with Pepsodent & wonder where the yellow went." From there he got the idea for the line, "I wonder, wonder, wonder who!, who wrote the book of love", later working it up into a song with Davis and Malone. You just never know where that $ million idea will come from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIfuNPbBaaA

I've gotten behind on this thread. I have to catch up.

I couldn't resist with this one though. I saw this old video on MTV classics yesterday. Are you watching that now? So good. Lots of the old MTV music videos. It was Natalie Merchant (10,000 Maniacs) singing Jealousy UNPLUGGED. I couldn't find that video by itself. You may have to watch the entire Unplugged session.

Jealousy video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PjLkB7BlpA

Also, These Are The Days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23YVo2j5SN4

I just always thought she had something so special about her. I loved her voice and performance style.

Here is a show where she is a guest in 2015. She's still so good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-zaBMdlyWw

I have a hard time understanding the words when she sings. I would have liked some of those cheesy lyric strips at the bottom.

She has a really good voice & I liked her music a lot, but I agree she sometimes has a tendency to swallow her lyrics. I reckon it may be a stylistic choice.

Yeah, I get what you're saying about her singing style. I suppose that's part of what I liked about her though.

Here is something I thought interesting. As I wind my way through the Billboard Pop Charts of 1958 I noticed that there were 8 different singles that peaked at #8 on the charts. Of those 8, 3 of them are now in the Grammy Hall Of Fame. That is a pretty incredible record. Here are those 3 singles. See what you think.

This one first hit the charts on April 28th & debuted at #67.

Johnny B. Goode – Chuck Berry
    This song will eventually chart 4 different times, but no one but Chuck is able to get the song out of the 70’s or worse. This version goes to #8 & stays around for 15 weeks, it gets to #2 on the R&B Charts. Chuck wrote the song & it is in The Grammy Hall Of Fame. The song is ranked as number seven on Rolling Stone's list of the "500 Greatest Songs of All Time".
    This song is based on Chuck's life. It tells the tale of a boy with humble beginnings with a talent for guitar. Some details were changed: Berry was from St. Louis, not Louisiana, and he knew how to read and write very well. He graduated from beauty school with a degree in hairdressing and cosmetology.

Berry got the name "Johnny" from Johnnie Johnson, a piano player who collaborated with Berry on many songs, including "Maybellene," "Roll Over Beethoven" and "Sweet Little 16." Johnson often wrote the songs on piano, and then Berry converted them to guitar and wrote lyrics. Berry joined Johnson's group, The Sir John Trio, in 1953, and quickly became the lead singer and centerpiece of the band.

In 2000, Johnnie Johnson sued Berry, claiming that he never got credit for helping write many of Berry's hits, including this one. The case was dismissed in 2002, with the judge ruling that too much time passed between the writing of the songs and the lawsuit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8JULmUlGDA

This one first charted on July 14th & debuted at #74.

Fever – Peggy Lee
    This was the 2nd of 4 versions of this song to eventually hit the charts. It gets to #8, but that isn’t the highest position for the song. In 1965 The McCoys will get it to #7. However, it is this version that is in The Grammy Hall Of Fame. This was the 2nd of just 3 times that Peggy hit the Top 40 on the Pop Charts (in the rock era, she had been doing so since 1945…pre rock era) & she won’t do so again until 1969. The song hits #5 in the UK & #2 in Australia.

The song is credited to song writers Eddie Cooley & John Davenport. John Davenport was the stepfather of Otis Blackwell who was the actual writer, but due to his contract with RCA Otis gave the credit to John.

Even though the 1st charting version by Little Willie John peaked at #28, it is said to have outsold Peggy by a 2-1 margin.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4hXyALR9vI

This one first charted on August 4th & debuted at #84.

Summertime Blues – Eddie Cochran
    This song will chart 3 different times, it’ll be a #14 in 1968 for Blue Cheer, a #27 in 1970 for The Who & Eddie gets it to #8 with this release. The song will spend 16 weeks on the charts. It was written by Eddie & Jerry Capehart & is in The Grammy Hall Of Fame. This was the 2nd of just 3 Top 40 hits for Eddie & his biggest hit single ever.

Eddie wrote this with Jerry Capehart, a songwriter who was good friends with Cochran and helped him get a record deal. Capehart explained the inspiration for this song in Rolling Stone magazine's Top 500 songs issue: "There had been a lot of songs about summer, but none about the hardships of summer." With that idea and a guitar lick from Cochran, they wrote the song in 45 minutes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZZD8ckwLJA

And there you have it, the lucky #8's!
    Last edited by razorbacker; 11-11-2016 at 02:57 PM.

Summertime Blues was also a #1 charted Country hit for Alan Jackson, I believe in 1994.
    I always loved that song nomatter who sung it, and there have been a lot of them.

+ Reply to Thread