+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

Re: Rediscovering Classics / Music Memories

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I remember Tequila, but I've never heard the original version. I guess it's one of those songs that have been sung by a whole bunch of bands.

I was a small child in the late 50's & listening to the radio wouldn't kick in for about another 10 years at least.
    I have a small recollection of some of them (Who's Sorry Now is one of them) but very minimal. Probably because they were around for quite a while & still played.
    I was small in the late 50's as well, but my Mom seemed to always have the radio on, so I listened through her choices until I got old enough to change the station in the car. HA!
    Miss Scarlet likes this.

Here is my offering for today.

This song first hit the charts on March 10, 1958.

Lollipop – The Chordettes
    This was the 1st of 2 versions of this song to land, both of them happen in 1958 & both of them get to the Top 20, but this one goes all the way to #2. Julius Dixon & Beverly Ross were the writers of this one. This will be the final Top 10 hit for the Chordettes.

The other version of this song will be by a duo named Ronald & Ruby. Ruby’s real name was Beverly Ross, the writer of this song. Ruby was also the writer of such hits as Dim, Dim the Lights for Bill Haley & Judy’s Turn To Cry for Lesley Gore.

Here is the story behind the song. Julius Dixon and Beverly Ross had an important meeting with a music publisher. Ross arrived on time but Dixon was late and he gave the excuse that his daughter had got a lollipop stuck in her hair. As his wife was having trouble removing it from the screaming child, Dixon felt that he needed to stay home until the crisis had calmed down. On hearing this story, Beverly Ross sat down at the piano and immediately penned this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw0qIyZMtH8
    Miss Scarlet likes this.

Fun song. The Chordettes also released Mr. Sandman, another fun song.
    I just learned that while checking out YouTube. See, FORT is educational.
    razorbacker likes this.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

After seeing David Crosby on WWHL last night, I looked this up. OMG, I adore them, especially Neil Young.

Long May You Run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gttIc5avsZw

THIS ONE TOO!

Down By The River

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0NjZrPX-l0

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Fun song. The Chordettes also released Mr. Sandman, another fun song.
    I just learned that while checking out YouTube. See, FORT is educational.
    Mr. Sandman by the Chordettes was their first ever single & their 1st & only #1 hit single. The song spent 7 weeks at #1 i late 54 & early 55.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    After seeing David Crosby on WWHL last night, I looked this up. OMG, I adore them, especially Neil Young.

Long May You Run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gttIc5avsZw
    Love that song, too bad those guys just couldn't get along...especially Neil & Stephen.

Do you know the history behind this song?

Neil's beloved Pontiac hearse, "Mort" (a.k.a. "Mortimer Hearseburg"), was the inspiration for this song. Neil drove "Mort" from Toronto to Los Angeles, where he met Stephen Stills and formed Buffalo Springfield.

Neil was in Canada driving to Sudbury when 'Mort' broke down in Blind River, June 1965.

And so, it became the inspiration for a great song.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    THIS ONE TOO!

Down By The River

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0NjZrPX-l0
    Never been much of a fan of this one. Good song, just not much to my liking.

Debb, since you began by mentioning David Crosby & then didn't link to one of his songs, I thought I would.

David wrote this song with session musician Craig Doerge, who also plays piano on the track. It's one of several songs that Crosby has written after waking up in the middle of the night. He told Uncut magazine February 2014: "It's that moment of half awake, half asleep, and it's happened over and over again."

"I woke up at 3 AM, I was off watch, hundred miles off the coast of California, I got up from my bunk and wrote the whole song down, as it is now without changing the word. I get to the end, 'Shadow Captain of a charcoal ship, trying to give the light the slip,' and I think, 'Croz, you are so f---ing cool!' I'm thrilled by it, but I feel as though it's been trapped in my head, as though I've been gifted it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPwJRdCjPzs

I have one offering for today. The song is good, but I had to post it because of the story of the guy that wrote it.

The song first hit the charts on March 17, 1958.

Lonely Island – Sam Cooke
    Sam will see this one get to #26, but it takes 13 weeks to get there & back. The song was written by Eden Ahbez & this was the only charting version. This will be a #10 hit on the R&B Charts for Sam.

Eden Ahbez composed the song "Nature Boy," which became a No. 1 hit for eight weeks in 1948 for Nat "King" Cole and has since become a pop and jazz standard. But here is the story of Eden:

From at least the 1940s, he travelled in sandals and wore shoulder-length hair and beard, and white robes. He camped out below the first L in the Hollywood Sign above Los Angeles and studied Oriental mysticism. He slept outdoors with his family and ate vegetables, fruits, and nuts. He claimed to live on three dollars per week. All of that & you have to believe he was worth a lot of money just on the royalties alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD5aw-cEKbo
    Miss Scarlet likes this.

+ Reply to Thread