+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Your Musical Abilities/Experience

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Your Musical Abilities/Experience

Do you sing or play any musical instruments? Did you learn what you know in school, by taking lessons, from a neighbor/friend/family member, or were you self-taught from books are just playing around on an instrument?

Do you have any experience in the music business? Were you in a garage band? Did you play for fun or profit? Did you ever record your songs or have experience working in a music studio?

Is there an instrument you've always wanted to learn?

My family had Lowrey organs when I was little so that was the first instrument I learned to play. I went to a few lessons but I already knew the little I learned there so I got bored with it and went back to learning on my own. We had a guitar and a ukelele, too, but I never got far in using them.

Now that I don't have the organ anymore, I play the keyboard. I've never played for profit but I have played for friends and family at parties.

I've always wanted to take piano lessons and I'd like to learn the steel drum or xylophone/marimba. I think that would be very interesting!

My best friend and I in high school wanted to be singers when we grew up but along the way I realized that would never work for me because I'm too shy to sing in front of people. My voice isn't all that, anyway.

I almost forgot to mention a blind friend of mine is a piano tuner and he plays the piano and guitar. He bought a recording deck and he has me help him with it since he can't see the screen to format it himself. So I've learned something about recording tracks, editing, doing a mix-down and mastering. I'm by no means an expert and I don't think I'd like to do it for a living! I'd rather play the instruments and let someone else do the technical part.

* Thanks for the inspiration for this thread, McSquirrels! *
    Last edited by pikachu; 10-04-2014 at 09:57 PM.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: Your Musical Abilities/Experience

I remembered one more thing. I bought an electric guitar once thinking it would be neat to learn. I got a bunch of books and a tape with exercises to try. I was imagining playing the electric guitar to be doing a bunch of riffs and solos but it was mostly doing the same parts over and over throughout the song. Boring! I decided it wasn't for me and went back to playing the keyboard.

Also, I played the viola in orchestra at one of my middle schools. That was a lot of fun! I wish I had stuck with it after leaving that school but I didn't own my viola. The school provided the instruments while we were taking classes. I had been getting better at reading music but now I've gone back to where I can't really sight-read music. I get EZ play books for my keyboard.

Re: Your Musical Abilities/Experience

Music has always been my thing in one way or another. I started singing in the church choir when I was little, my first solo was when I was in 2nd grade I think. 4th grade I took up the violin for a year. 5th grade I tried the flute. Middle school I chose to stick with singing and was always in choir from that point on...I wouldn't even think about giving the class up when I came of age to learn to drive...took private driving lessons instead. In college I was not only in the choir, but also in the show choir, and my senior year I took up handbells. I wanted to major in music but my school only had a minor in it so I compromised. I can plunk out things on the piano. I did ok with instruments but never great lol. I would have loved to have gone into the music business but never really had the confidence, mostly in regards to my looks. I must have an ok voice to have won talent shows here and there (in fact, I won studio time in college but never used it- I really regret it!), but I'm no Mariah Carey.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

+ Reply to Thread