+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obsure artists

Obsure artists

Kate Bush. I have her first album (yes, it's vinyl), but didn't like the second one. My brother was hooking up my stereo and wanted to test the connections, so I put Bush on. At the start of the first song he asked, "who's that" I told him her name and he never heard of her. I told him that she used to be big in Germany and he said, "she should have stayed there". Aww.

What artist do you like that people ask, "who"?:

I like Pizzicato Five (I think they're from Japan) and Fantastic Plastic Machine.

I don't own their albums, but I listen to LaunchCast radio on Yahoo and you can rate artists and stuff, so I listen to them on there.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Wow, just the names alone are interesting? What kind of music do they play/sing? Techno?

There is a local station here called "the Independent Radio Station" and they play polka, South Asian Indian and French rap, some really good techno starting in the wee hours of the morning from Vassar College, regular South Asian Indian music, Irish, etc, etc. I never know who I'm listening to, but enjoy it.

Fade to black
    Joseph Arthur, Lori Carson, Elliott Smith... oh I could go on and on and on with this one.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

I guess you could say both those artists are kind of electric lounge? They are hard to discribe, but they sure are cool to listen to.

You can check out Pizzicato Five on Amazon. There are some clips to listen to. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...830317-5341538

And here is Fantastic Plastic Machine's website http://www.fpmnet.com/

I also listen to Emerson College's radio station and they have fantastic jazz. One of my favorites is Medeski, Martin & Wood
    Check them out here: http://www.mmw.net/

Insert Funny "Quote" Here nofx242's Avatar
    Too many to list.

Pizzicato Five have a big hit Twiggy its in alot of movies alot of people have remixed that song its in Charlies angels at one point.

What makes me feel old is when some kid heres a remix and says I like that song you mention its a remake and there like no its not. That happened to me the other day with the reamke to "Boys of Summer" and thats an 80's song.

Nofx242, the opposite can happen too. Tom Jones did a remix of Prince's (I'll call him that to his face and he can hide in the corner while his bodyguards beat me up!) song kiss with the Art of Noise in the background. I like Tom's version better.

There's a band I love named "Future Bible Heroes". I have no idea how to describe them. Kind of punk, kind of goth, very cool.

Also, I like a more mainstream one called the Tea Party. I think they've actually had a couple of songs that charted, but nobody I ever mention them to seems to know who I'm talking about.

Originally posted by greenflute98
    I like Pizzicato Five (I think they're from Japan) and Fantastic Plastic Machine.
    Pizzicato Five & FPM are both excellent Japanese exports... You may also wish to check out Dmitri from Paris (Sacre Bleu), DePhazz & St. Germain...

I'm not sure if Kate Bush counts as obscure... she had her share of great fame back in the day.

I am currently enjoying the sounds of the latest Jazzanova releases... lo-fi beats with nice flourishes of jazz & latin rhythm... just in time for summer!
    ~M o s a i K~

Ooo! I love Jazzanova and St. Germain. I'll have to check out the others. Thanks Mosaik!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast