+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Obsure artists

Since I'm from Norway I've got a long list of artists that I like that anyone would go "who?" over LOL ... but I'll try to stick to slightly known names that people STILL go "Who?" over....

Jean Michel Jarre is a favorite of mine, he's a french techno synthesizer lazer show kinda guy and his music is awesome.

Others are Zamfir (panflute), Tanita Tikaram who is a REALLY really great singer with a lot of "weird" but soothing to the ear kinda songs...nice, hoarse voice too..very nice.
    Leonard Cohen...who I thought everyone would know but I discover not many do.

Im sure there's more...well I know there's more...lol..but I wont bother ya with all the Norwegian names
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    I like Vanessa-Mae. No one really knows who she is though. I guess it must be my "orchestra geek" coming out. I also was introduced to Zwan by my boyfriend. They're awesome! lolz... He's the only one who knows who they are out of my whole entire circle of friends. lolz...
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Originally posted by greenflute98
    Ooo! I love Jazzanova and St. Germain. I'll have to check out the others. Thanks Mosaik!

While you're at it, you should also check out Koop... Highly recommended...

I'm assuming you've already heard of Theivery Corporation? If not, sample their stuff - you may find some material you like.

As for Jazzanova... a lot of the stuff on their Compost label is equally satisfying to the ear.

Oh also, if you're going to check out Dmitri, know that as a DJ, he dabbles mostly in house and disco, so you should definitely check out the album I mentioned, Sacre Bleu for the retro jazz sound of his original compositions - unless of course you like house music as well... but I could go on for pages with jazzy/deep house recommendations.

Hope you find something you like...

Cheers,

M
    ~M o s a i K~

Thanks so much Mosaik! I love your "jazzy/deep house" recommendations.

I have heard Thievery Corporation, and I really enjoy them too. Thanks for also mentioning the album to check out for Dmitri because I'm not as huge of a fan of house as I am of the jazzy loungy house kind of thing.

Feel free to post any more recommendations! Thanks again!
    Who shot who in the what now?

Dallas has a very good local music scene. Most of the stuff I listen to is by local bands. So almost everything I listen to, most people haven't heard (unless they live around here & hang out at the bars a lot, lol)
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

My favorite obscure band is called The Knitters. A couple members from the punk group "X" and a couple members of the punk group The Blasters got together and made one album of folk/roots/country songs, called "Poor Little Critter on the Road". When I say country, I don't mean the country-rock that's popular today, it's old-fashioned folk/country.

The song Silver Wings was on the soundtrack of the movie "Boys Don't Cry". I completely love this album and wish they'd do another.

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, they were great way back, but he died in a motorcycle accident in Holland. I have four of their CD's. Updated from their albums since someone stole all mine from storage.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    When I went to Disneyland last summer, we got to see this band, The Vees, live and got autographed CDs and shirts and all that. I think they're a mix of country/oldies. But they sing really well. I realy like them a lot!
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

There's a hip-hop scene in Brunei, and most of these singers are teenagers. I don't have a particular favourite, but some of their songs are worth listening to. The website is http://unangelic.org/bru , and you can download demos and actual tracks from these artists here. Bear in mind that they're not signed onto any major record label, and only release singles from time to time, as most of them are still in school.

Recommended track: Lullaby from Mz. Shorty feat. Reza.

Originally posted by greenflute98
    Thanks so much Mosaik! I love your "jazzy/deep house" recommendations.

Feel free to post any more recommendations! Thanks again!

Hey greenflute98!

Glad to learn a little more about your preferences in music... Since you asked, I'd be happy to suggest that you investigate the following acts for some cool & loungy nu-jazz stylings that may suit your tastes:

- Trüby Trio
    - Ralph Myerz and the Jack Herren Band
    - Sven van Hees
    - Gilles Peterson (selected works)

Nu-jazz, with a little more latin flavour (bossa, samba, etc) in case you're into those styles as well (perfect for summer!):

- Nicola Conte
    - Gotan Project
    - Via Janeiro
    - Soulstance
    - Victor Davies

Some compilation albums that I would *highly* recommend for starters:

VA - St. Germain Des-Pres-Cafe- Volumes I, II, & III
    VA - NU Jazz Cool

All that should keep you busy for a while! Enjoy!
    ~M o s a i K~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast