+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Did you guys watch the 50th anniversary of the Beatles?

Did you guys watch the 50th anniversary of the Beatles?

it was FANTASTIC

Joe Walsh killed While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Imagine Dragons did an awesome job on Revolution

It was just enjoyable all around

Then when Paul and Ringo were together WOW

Re: Did you guys watch the 50th anniversary of the Beatles?

Ringo still has a spring in his step -- he was running all over the stage and the audience.

I loved seeing Eurythmics together again -- the crowd really seemed to love their "Fool on the Hill". Sounded great to me.
    tapper01 likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I enjoyed it immensely. I could have done without Maroon 5 opening the show. I learned some things about each of the Beatles, and poor Ringo, who knew he was such an ill child? Loved seeing George's son Dhani up on stage performing and of course the big highlight was Paul and Ringo performing together and their solo performances. It's airing again tomorrow night for those who missed it and might want to see it.
    tapper01 likes this.

Missed even hearing of this, but I'm geared much more toward radio.

I listened to a couple of segments about the anniversary this last week, mostly liked hearing Ringo reminisces about fending off early what could've easily been physical doom at the time and essentially lucking into his future.

I saw the show & loved it.

I really liked Joe Walsh & Gary Clark Jr. together, the LIT IT UP. Liked Alicia Keyes & John Legend's duet. Liked The Imagine Dragons,& the Keith Urban & John Mayer guitar off. On the other hand I thought Katy Perry was out of her depth & I guess I must be the only one, but I thought The Eurythmics & especially Annie Lennox looked & sounded awful.

It was great to see so many of these artists from my youth & to notice how gracefully that most of them have aged. They are still looking good & rocking hard. Well except Annie Lennox who is kind of scary looking (and what was up with the HIV Positive shirt she decided to wear) & Peter Frampton who is almost unrecognizable as the lady slayer he was in his youth.

All in all it was a great show that highlighted the soundtrack of my life. Where have all the years gone?

But, I must say, I had an aching in my heart because John & George were not there to see all the love they were getting. RIP Lads!

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Well except Annie Lennox who is kind of scary looking (and what was up with the HIV Positive shirt she decided to wear) & Peter Frampton who is almost unrecognizable as the lady slayer he was in his youth.
    The t-shirt is part of one of the several HIV awareness campaigns she has been involved with for years. She devotes a lot of time to causes that affect children in Africa and other countries, including two started by Nelson Mandela. She received the OBE (Officer of the Order of the British Empire) from Queen Elizabeth in 2010 for her humanitarian work and career.

And if I were a woman, I would wish to be able to look as "scary" as she does.
    libgirl2 and Critical like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    The t-shirt is part of one of the several HIV awareness campaigns she has been involved with for years. She devotes a lot of time to causes that affect children in Africa and other countries, including two started by Nelson Mandela. She received the OBE (Officer of the Order of the British Empire) from Queen Elizabeth in 2010 for her humanitarian work and career.

And if I were a woman, I would wish to be able to look as "scary" as she does.
    That's all fine & commendable, but that night was not about her & her causes. She should have Let It Be!
    tapper01 likes this.

I don't see a problem with Annie wearing a t-shirt. It's a huge stage and would give that important cause a lot of visibility. There are plenty of musicians who would do the same. And I'd applaud them for it. I'll bet Sir Paul and Ringo didn't have a problem with it and in that situation, their opinions are probably the only ones that matter.

Annie has one of the best voices in music. I've seen her live and she is INCREDIBLE. No studio engineering there. New singers in this business should be so lucky to have a voice like hers.

"Scary looking"? It's called aging naturally and I think she's fabulous. Really though, why do her looks have anything to do with it? Why should they? I'd rather look at someone like her than the herd of mildly talented little automaton Stepford pop stars the music industry loves to throw at us.
    Florimel likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

its on again tonight. Watching it again, I love Imagine Dragons and Dave Grohl's Hey Bulldog

Of course Joe Walsh killed it on Something. I can't wait till My Guitar Gently Weeps again.

Love this show.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I don't see a problem with Annie wearing a t-shirt. It's a huge stage and would give that important cause a lot of visibility. There are plenty of musicians who would do the same. And I'd applaud them for it. I'll bet Sir Paul and Ringo didn't have a problem with it and in that situation, their opinions are probably the only ones that matter.

Annie has one of the best voices in music. I've seen her live and she is INCREDIBLE. No studio engineering there. New singers in this business should be so lucky to have a voice like hers.

"Scary looking"? It's called aging naturally and I think she's fabulous. Really though, why do her looks have anything to do with it? Why should they? I'd rather look at someone like her than the herd of mildly talented little automaton Stepford pop stars the music industry loves to throw at us.
    I would venture a guess, that everyone associated with that show, whether as a performer or as one of the presenters, has at least one if not multiple causes they are passionate about. Yet none of them felt the need to pimp it in front of this audience that was there to praise The Beatles. No one that is, except Annie Lennox. It was an inappropriate display given the setting. Sorry, my opinion was so upsetting to you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast