+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: The Grammy's Jan 26/2014

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

The Grammy's Jan 26/2014

I know a few of you watched and I'd like to hear your thoughts on the festivities.

The Grammy's kept my interest this year and there were many great performances.

Seems kinda dumb to not nominate Lorde as best new artist and then she has to perform right after they announce the winner. What exactly was she doing on stage? Epileptic fit is what it looked like to me. Nobody can convince me she is 17, she easily looks twice that.

Awesome that Blake Shelton performed with Willie, Kris and Merle. It does sadden me to see them getting on in age and their voices not as strong. Mamas Don't Let Your Babies was kind of a hot mess.

Weird that Pharrell was wearing an RCMP hat. I used to feel guilty about lusting over him because I thought he was a young'un. He's 40! Whew, I feel better now.

Metallica and the piano player was different. I really enjoyed that performance. One is a great song. I wanted to see the audience rocking out to that!

Glad to see I wasn't the only one with tears running down my face, so did Keith Urban! I don't like that Macklemore song, but love the message. I read that many bigots were going to boycott the show because the grammy's were pushing an agenda. Pul-ease! That was definitely an epic moment. Congrats to all the couples! Madonna didn't really add anything to that performance.

Thought that Blurred Lines would take home at least one trophy for album or record of the year. It was huuuuge. Can't stand that Daft Punk song.

Kacey Musgraves beating out TSwift--great!
    tapper01 and JohnnyK like this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Re: The Grammy's Jan 26/2014

I enjoyed the show to a point. I swear I was like who are some of these new people like Lorde,hunter,etc. I enjoyed the old school stars. I heard people calling it the granny and gramps awards. What they fail it understand is those pioneers paved the way for you to come along and make horrible music and lip sync. Be thankful for those who have made music big! Too bad we now have a lot of garbage out as music now.

Pharell love him and he can kindly give smokey the bear back his hats. Madonna is not aging well. Loved seeing yoko Ono having fun and rings and sir Paul. Daft punk also! I lived the vow ceremony with Macklemore. I do question how he is in a rap category. He is about as much rap as is Kurt Franklin. A spoken word category yes! Rap not so much!
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

There were parts of the show I enjoyed,and parts that made no sense to me. I want to know who in the world decided it was a good idea to pair up Robin Thicke and Chicago. Was it some out of touch producer who got Robin Thicke confused with Alan Thicke? On the radio, I've loved the song Royals, but seeing Lorde do it live messed up the song for me. I didn't like what she did with it - kind of reminded me of Bjork or Yoko Ono. Pink's acrobatics are amazing. But since she's already done it once at the Grammys, I think it's time for her to come up with something new. For simple performances, I LOVED the way they had Chrissie Tiegen lit while John Legend was singing (about her). I would have liked it even more if they had her seated closer where it would have been even more obvious that they had set it up that way. The one performance the jury is still out on for me was Beyonce and Jay Z. On the one hand, I thought it was fantastic, hot, and I loved it. However, the thing I have always loved about Beyonce was that she presented herself as such a strong and feminine performer who came across as sexy because of her confidence rather than by being overtly sexual. So while I get the artistic turn with this new album and performance, it kind of dissapoints me because I think it's such a betrayal of her brand. But Jay Z made up for it when he made the comment about the grammy being a sippy cup for Blue. Loved that!
    MsDiva2007 likes this.

For years Beyoncé has been told to do something new, she does and people still are not satisfied. The woman is damned no matter what she does. I loved it,her and Jay Z
    tapper01 and overseas like this.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

I agree MsDiva. I think her new album is great, and her performance was one of the best of the night. I think she does the overtly sexual thing better than most women performing these days, because she is so fantastic at what she does. Like I said, my only hesitation to jump on board completely with it is that I think it betrays the things about her that I admired the most until now.
    JunkieGirl likes this.

I tuned in to watch NIN/QOTSA/Dave Grohl/Lindsey Buckingham and was pissed they got cut off because the broadcast ran late. So the program ended on a sour note for me.

However, I did enjoy some of the other performances. I disagree about Robin Thicke - I thought the pairing with Chicago was fun and campy (and my daughter was impressed that he could "really" sing). Sara Barielles, who I wasn't at all familiar with, was quite wonderful with Carole King. Metallica with the Chinese pianist was a little duller than I thought it would be, performance-wise, but musically it was great. I knew what to expect with Lorde, so I have no complaints about her performance. Frankly I find her quite awkward live, but I do adore her voice. Her hair and makeup does age her, yes, but you sure could tell she was a teenager during her acceptance speeches ("pop" performance? Dunno what you'd call her work but "pop" wasn't what I had in mind). Pink is always a win for me, but Daft Punk was weak (except for Stevie Wonder, but I despise DP's new album anyway - sell-out electronic pop). Katy Perry had me howling - wtf was that backdrop? First thing that came to my mind was the Knights Who Say Nicht. In fact, the whole set had a Holy Grail feel to it - that light-up gothic cross on her outfit?

But the hands-down winner for performance was Imagine Dragons/Kendrick Lamar. Not a particular fan of either one but what a fabulous set, both visually and musically. And gotta love ID for taking their seats in the audience still covered in red dust (especially funny when you consider the multiple dress changes for Perry & Taylor Swift). Second-best performance - Steven Tyler's impromptu vocals with Smokey Robinson.

The Mackelmore/Queen Latifah stunt left me cold. Absolutely, do the song, but I prefer more music and less politics.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I thought the whole show was great. I love when they mix the older artists with the newer ones. I have to say tho I found myself not paying much attention to some of the performances, Beyonce being one of them. I just havent clicked with her new stuff...something I cant put my finger on. I have never been a big Beatles fan, so I didnt pay much attention to Ringo's set, and was putting my kid to bed when Paul McCartney came on.
    LOVE LOVE LOVED Kendrick Lamar and Imagine Dragons. That was a show! Imagine Dragons are awesome to begin with. Really liked Katy Perry's performance, I like that the song is different. In my eyes Pink can do no wrong, but like someone else said I was a bit surprised she did the aerial thing again. I actually cried during Macklemore...tho I could have done without Madonna.
    Very impressed with Taylor Swift. I am not a fan, tho I like some of her songs. This was was really good, and I thought she looked beautiful. She did her makeup different than before, I think.I had never heard of Kacey Musgraves but I really liked her and her song.
    In my opinion this has been one of the best Grammys performance wise in a while. I dont really agree with Daft Punk winning everything, I love the album but I think there were better ones that werent even nom'd for that (Bruno Mars).
    There was an article somewhere that there was debate about letting Macklemore be nominated in the rap genre. Some of those making that decision (people in the music industry, running all gamuts of genres) thought it was more Pop than Rap. To me, spoken word over hip hop beats, actually any musical beat, equals rap. (btw-Even Macklemore thought Kendrick Lamar should have won that award, he was just happy to be nominated.)
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

Fort Member

Can I just say that Mary Lambert is stunning and she made Madonna look washed out and old especially in that horrible white frilly suit and what was with the cane?
    I also cried during the segment it was well done I thought and put the point across without being too OTT, that is until Madonna appeared
    I did not watch the whole show as I had to go to work but I watched more than I have in previous years as I found the match ups interesting especially the Metallica one but as much as I love Daft Punk their duo with Stevie Wonder I think did not work that well.
    Gotta also agree that Lordes looks a lot older than 17, the song is used as an ad in Australia so when I was home at Christmas it got stuck in my head every day when I turned on the tv so while on first hear I liked it, now, not so much

Is Madonna ill or something. I mean she looked really off and old!
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

Madonna recently had her leg in a cast from a ski accident. So that may explain why she had the cane and was a bit immobile.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast