+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Musical chills

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Musical chills

I started a new station on Jango today and was listening to a song I hadn't heard before, "Out of My League" by Electronic. It started off nice enough but hadn't really gripped me until near the end when it had an instrumental part that just sent chills through my body.

I've had that happen other times with music I really like. Some songs give me chills nearly every time I hear them, others only give me chills the first time I hear them.

I looked up musical chills online and the explanations for it didn't really sound right to me. They said that you're having an emotional reaction to the song and I could see that if it was something about the lyrics that was especially poignant but what about during an instrumental portion?

Anyway, have any of you ever experienced musical chills and do you have any theories about what they are or what causes them?

Re: Musical chills

Yes, absolutely. I recall standing in the dressing room of a consignment store 30 years ago and hearing Philip Glass' "Koyaanisqatsi" for the first time; it gave me those same chills.

I also burst into tears the first time I heard Bach's "Air on the G String." It was completely spontaneous--I was actually in the middle of a conversation in a restaurant. I wasn't conscious of the music at first, but obviously my brain was. Fortunately, my dining companion was a musician, and he totally understood! I still tear up every time I hear it.

I know that we are "supposed" to feel sad when a song is played in a minor key. I don't know why that is, but it is certainly the case with me. I've wondered about this issue, too, and hope someone has some info.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: Musical chills

I get chills when I hear some of my favorite songs, like "Minimal" by the Pet Shop Boys, "Bright Lights, Bigger City" by Cee Lo, and when I was in high school "Save a Prayer" by Duran Duran. The beginning of "Both Ends Burning" by Roxy Music always gets to me. One of the best song intros ever! Pretty much everything from Phantom of the Opera gives me chills. I really connect with the music from it for some reason.

+ Reply to Thread