+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Music News

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Music News

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    For any Billy Joel fans, I was very impressed to see the Library of Congress Gershwin Award be presented to him on PBS this past weekend. You can also watch it online. Such a treat! Guests included Tony Bennett, Leanne Rhimes (she's really improving, Josh Groban, and others. Joel also performs. Lots of government and political figures in the house.

The Gershwin Prize Billy Joel | Gershwin Prize | PBS
    I had intended to watch it, but then forgot all about it. Shame, shame on me as Billy is one of my musical idols. This Long Island girl is so happy that he is receiving these wonderful honors (also the Kennedy Center Honors in 2013). I saw an online clip of Kevin Spacey playing harmonica to "Piano Man" with other singers joining in. I wasn't sure who some of the folks were other than Groban, Rimes, Spacey, Bennett and I think that was Michael Feinstein. I will have to see if it's airing at another time.

Please check it out. I enjoyed it. It's really quite an honor.

I haven't heard anything from Madonna lately. I used to be a fan too, but as of late, Madonna turns me off. She tries too hard and seems to be caught up in teen obsession.
    AmyKay likes this.

I know you guys are aware of the decline in CD sales, but did you know that Vinyl sales are up, way up, way way up?

FORT Fogey

That does not surprise me. Vinyl seems to be a hipster trend, both with buying vintage albums, and with some new music being released on vinyl as a novelty. You take that along with the fact that sales were so low that the sales don't have to go up THAT much for it to be a huge percentage increase, and it makes sense.
    AmyKay likes this.

Something I saw that surprised me was that even with iTunes, Spotify, Pandora, most people get their new music from terrestrial radio! I still listen to the radio every now and again, usually just in the mornings for my local show that I love, and in the car as I don't have satellite. More than that and I get annoyed as it seems like the same handfull of songs played over and over.
    Most of MY new music is from Spotify, and it eventually makes its way to the radio if I am lucky.
    "Alot of people when they listen, they don't listen. They hear but they don't listen to what the person is saying. " Boston Rob (Mariano)
    Thanks pikachu for the avatar!

I don't have satellite radio anymore, so I listen to the radio in the car. I like to keep up with the latest music on Pop and country, but man, it's rather sad. They play the same thing over and over. It's the same on the satellite stations too. It seems like I read that the radio stations are owned by the same corporations. They are paid to play certain lineups. It's all designed to make certain songs hits. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I'm inclined to believe it.
    AmyKay likes this.

well I know in my area Clear Channel owns quite a few stations, tho they are all different genres...I know alot of their shows are national (Ryan Secrest, Elvis Duran) There's another local group of stations owned by a local group that has one of all the genres too. Even tho the "pop" stations are owned by different groups, it does seem like they both play the same songs over and over. It gets old quick!
    "Alot of people when they listen, they don't listen. They hear but they don't listen to what the person is saying. " Boston Rob (Mariano)

FORT Fogey

I admit, I have not found effective ways to use Spotify or Pandora for finding new music. With Pandora, I'll blame myself because most of the artists I've put in are more retro artists. But I feel like for each playlist, Pandora gives me about 20 different songs they keep rotating. I've been introduced to some old songs by artists that I enjoy,but not really much in terms of new music. With Spotify, I know they pride themselves in lists, intro'ing new music, etc. But I've never found an effective way of using it there. I think it would be better if I had a lot of friends to follow on Spotify ... but I'm not really of the age where everyone is publishing their Spotify lists to share, and I guess I don't have a lot of diehard music fan friends who have a passion for that.

Yea I stopped using Pandora once I found Spotify, Pandora repeated too much, tho it too gave me lots of newer things to listen to. with Spotify I have found a lot in "Artists Like This One." Not all of them have been new, but they were new to me. there is also a playlist I follow that is put together by Digster that is "new, Fresh" or something like that. I check the "new releases" every Tuesday (when things are usually released) for things from artists I already like.

Just thought I'd mention that Ed Sheeran has a Storytellers show on VH1 Saturday night (8 I think?) for anyone that is interested. I will be watching, I love me some Ed Sheeran!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast