+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 80's music

80's music

Any 80's music fans? I for one am ! I am a huge fan of the decade of the 1980's, especially in terms of the music. That is generally all I really listen to now of days is 80's music. I'm not really into current music, especially music within the last 2 years, besides Lady GaGa, I can't really think of any new artist who I'm interested in.

I love the 80's, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Cyndi lauper, whitney houston, Wham!, George Michael, Tiffany, Debbie Gibson, New kids on the block, Paula abdul, prince, Janet Jackson. So many great singers, so many great songs ! What a wonderful decade for music.
    karalott and JohnnyK like this.

Re: 80's music

I love 80's music! It's right in my wheelhouse! All my teenage years are from the 80's, so of course I have a lot of memories (good & bad) connected to that music. I liked everything, but I was definitely partial towards "hair bands" ~ I listened to Van Halen, Poison, Bon Jovi, Guns 'n Roses, Metallica, Journey, REO Speedwagon, etc...but I also listened to other stuff like Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Prince, Michael Jackson (mostly the Thriller album), Duran Duran, B-52's, etc...I could go on & on. My favorite bands as a teen were Ratt & Def Leppard, lol. I still love Def Leppard

I remember dressing like Madonna in her "Lucky Star" video & I also remember shaving one side of my hair super short like Cyndi Lauper's (my dad was extremely unpleased with that one, & it was a pain in the butt to grow out)
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Thats so cool that you dressed up like Madonna. I loved Michael Jackson bad album. I use to listen to it forever and entirety. In fact I still do.

Wow, with the exception of a few bands that holly71 named (Duran Duran and B52s), NONE of the bands/artists listed upthread were on my playlist when I grew up (I graduated h.s. in '86 in SoCal).

For me, the 80's was all about Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Icehouse, Midnight Oil, Scritti Politti, Blancmange, The Fixx, OMD, Soft Cell, Bauhaus, Berlin, Modern English, Thompson Twins, Ministry, Stephen "Tin Tin" Duffy (god, I loved him)... lots of New Wave/"post punk" bands. I could go on and on. I listened to KROQ non-stop when I wasn't in school. God, Lene Lovich! "New Toy" just popped into my head. Loved her.

None of the mainstream music was really all that interesting to me back then. I mean, I knew Whitney Houston songs and Billy Joel and all that because I also watched MTV incessantly (back when they actually played videos), but I didn't like them all that much.

The late-80's metal hair bands don't really feel like 80's music to me. I'm not sure why, but I don't even think of Poison or Cinderella or the rest when I think of 80's music. Maybe because metal just wasn't all that popular in my h.s. - only the stoners listened to it at my school. It was popular in the very late 80's in OC, but not much in the early and mid-80's when I was in school. I love Def Leppard in particular, but I don't really consider them an 80's band, maybe because they continued on after that

I just took a look at my record collection and man, I could fall into that pile of LPs and not come out for days. Gotta dig up a fresh needle for that record player.......

ETA: Had to add to that list....Tears for Fears, Yaz, Bronski Beat, INXS, Erasure, Romeo Void, Talk Talk, Violent Femmes, Ultravox, Echo and the Bunnymen, Love and Rockets.....
    Last edited by Critical; 03-11-2012 at 10:51 PM.
    chicagodiva likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I was more of a 90s kid (which wasn't a bad decade for music, movies, and TV). But I love the 80s! My older siblings all pretty much grew up in the 80s, so I got exposed to a lot of music from them (and movies, which is probably my favorite decade as well for that). I rarely listen to the radio, and always feel like the odd one out when people bring up some huge chart topping song that everyone and their grandmother knows...and from where I'm standing it's the sound of crickets when they asked if I heard of it. Loved Michael Jackson, INXS, Tears for Fears, Madonna, Debbie Gibson, Bon Jovi, Expose, Duran Duran, Culture Club, Thompson Twins, Bananarama, Depeche Mode, Dead or Alive...good times. I ordered the Time Life 'Sounds of te 80s' a few years back; something was wrong with my order (can't remember now exactly) but I wound up getting a second set free. Not sure how I did it, but I cherish them. You'll find that in my player more than Rihanna or Lady GaGa.
    Last edited by karalott; 03-11-2012 at 11:26 PM.
    chicagodiva likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    I was more of a 90s kid (which wasn't a bad decade for music, movies, and TV). But I love the 80s! My older siblings all pretty much grew up in the 80s, so I got exposed to a lot of music from them (and movies, which is probably my favorite decade as well for that). I rarely listen to the radio, and always feel like the odd one out when people bring up some huge chart topping song that everyone and their grandmother knows...and from where I'm standing it's the sound of crickets when they asked if I heard of it. Loved Michael Jackson, INXS, Tears for Fears, Madonna, Debbie Gibson, Bon Jovi, Expose, Duran Duran, Culture Club, Thompson Twins, Bananarama, Depeche Mode, Dead or Alive...good times. I ordered the Time Life 'Sounds of te 80s' a few years back; something was wrong with my order (can't remember now exactly) but I wound up getting a second set free. Not sure how I did it, but I cherish them. You'll find that in my player more than Rihanna or Lady GaGa.
    80's movies are the BEST! Almost all of my favorite movies are from the 80's! John Hughes made so many good movies that totally catered to teens, it was a good time to be a teen!
    chicagodiva likes this.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

There's this youtube channel called meliberty which has a lot of compilation videos of 80's songs. Their "Trip through the 80's" ones are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Wow, with the exception of a few bands that holly71 named (Duran Duran and B52s), NONE of the bands/artists listed upthread were on my playlist when I grew up (I graduated h.s. in '86 in SoCal).

For me, the 80's was all about Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Icehouse, Midnight Oil, Scritti Politti, Blancmange, The Fixx, OMD, Soft Cell, Bauhaus, Berlin, Modern English, Thompson Twins, Ministry, Stephen "Tin Tin" Duffy (god, I loved him)... lots of New Wave/"post punk" bands. I could go on and on. I listened to KROQ non-stop when I wasn't in school. God, Lene Lovich! "New Toy" just popped into my head. Loved her.

None of the mainstream music was really all that interesting to me back then. I mean, I knew Whitney Houston songs and Billy Joel and all that because I also watched MTV incessantly (back when they actually played videos), but I didn't like them all that much.

The late-80's metal hair bands don't really feel like 80's music to me. I'm not sure why, but I don't even think of Poison or Cinderella or the rest when I think of 80's music. Maybe because metal just wasn't all that popular in my h.s. - only the stoners listened to it at my school. It was popular in the very late 80's in OC, but not much in the early and mid-80's when I was in school. I love Def Leppard in particular, but I don't really consider them an 80's band, maybe because they continued on after that

I just took a look at my record collection and man, I could fall into that pile of LPs and not come out for days. Gotta dig up a fresh needle for that record player.......

ETA: Had to add to that list....Tears for Fears, Yaz, Bronski Beat, INXS, Erasure, Romeo Void, Talk Talk, Violent Femmes, Ultravox, Echo and the Bunnymen, Love and Rockets.....
    Critical, I think it all has to do with when we graduated! My husband graduated in '87 and his view of the '80s is much more like yours. I graduated in '91, so my view of the '80s is closer to what chicagodiva has listed! My husband and I laugh that it is all the '80s but we each have very different memories of the music at the time. We call it early '80s and late '80s!

so many people make comments about the 80's music, but it really is the best music period IMO. Songs from the album "Dirty dancing" are still classic. I especially to this day still love "She's like the wind" so many found memories of me and my husband and when we were boyfriend and girlfriend in High school. I remember driving around all night and just listening to the radio.

While my 80's music really seemed to emulate Critical's, I also had:
    Minor Threat, Black Flag, The Misfits, Sisters of Mercy, Jane's Addiction, Jesus and Mary Chain, Roxy Music, Dead Kennedys, Joy Division/New Order, and tons more.
    One of my few concessions to the macabre...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast