+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 53rd GRAMMY Awards Show 2/13/11

53rd GRAMMY Awards Show 2/13/11

There's sure to be some comments on this show so here you go.

Fort Member

Re: 53rd GRAMMY Awards Show 2/13/11

Lady Gaga, egg, really???

Thats all I got

The Aretha tribute to start the show was awesome! Lady Gagme. not so much

Just watching the Red Carpet show on E, and they brought Gaga in - in the big egg.
    I hate to say that I'm hoping she suffocates in that egg....
    Gag me with a spoon.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Fort Member

Mumford and Sons with Bob Dylan was good

I think Gaga was out done by Cee Lo, his outfit was far more interesting

hehe an egg, sheesh next year she can turn up as a human bean then she would have been every part of an Australian Truckers breakfast (steak, eggs and baked beans)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Aretha's weight loss was amazing. I can't help but think that she had gastric bypass surgery while they were rooting around for "whatever" her problem was thought to be. She looks good, not frail or sickly. If she did have the bypass surgery, good for her....it was appropriate.

Those women sang their arses off, doing that tribute to her. Christina, and her monster (huge) voice, Jennifer and her beautiful voice....geez, what pipes!! And Yolanda and her magnificent voice. The whole group was just fabulous!!!!

Mick Jagger was fantastic, too. That guy never fails to bring a show. Not bad for 800 years old! (OK, he'll be 68 this year!)
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

I'm trying to figure out if I'm watching an award show or a showcase. There have been a lot of mentions of awards received previously. Not many awards, but a lot of show. I watched the GaGa piece on 60 minutes so her "birth" didn't bother me, and the song had a good repetitious beat. Bieber looked to Usher when his name wasn't called for best new artist and said, "What?" Hasn't the Lady Antebellum song, "I Need You Now." been around for longer than a year? I thought it won last year. I also noticed that non-singer Gwyneth Paltrow did a bang up job with a freak show, but they didn't show her husband in the audience cheering on her effort. Doesn't she always show up when he is nominated for awards?

I still have a half hour to go and two awards yet to be handed out. Mick Jagger and Barbra both looked and sounded better than most of the "artistes" on the stage tonight. My generation still rocks.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;4192154;
    I'm trying to figure out if I'm watching an award show or a showcase. There have been a lot of mentions of awards received previously. Not many awards, but a lot of show.
    Wasnt it terrible--I actually really like seeing who is up for the awards and who won/lost--and it seems like they gave out like 4?! Isn't this an award's show?

Bieber looked to Usher when his name wasn't called for best new artist and said, "What?"
    Hmmm....Two explanations here:
    1) He could have been confused as to who the person was that actually won--I have never heard her name!
    2) He's grown accustomed to winning everything because of his crazy fan base and his ego has grown accordingly. Yea, Beiber, you sing ok (and you can dance at the same time) but please dont forget that you are NOT even close to the powerhouse big dogs whose voices stand alone and never cease to amaze.

Hasn't the Lady Antebellum song, "I Need You Now." been around for longer than a year?.
    I think youre being generous--I thought this song was around like 2 years ago!? It really feels like its been winning awards for years now. It's a nice song but dang!

The numerous performances are nothing new. It is an awards show for music, after all. The telecasts always show the Big 4 (Album of the Year, Record of the Year, Song of the Year, Best New Artist). The other awards given during the night vary each year. Some are also announced during the pre-show. Those that aren't during the actual show or pre-show are given beforehand. This allotment allows the rest of the telecast to be dedicated to performances. And added to that, there are 109 categories in all -- there would not be enough time to award all of those during a couple of hours.

Speaking of, I was impressed with the performers this year. This is the best I've heard Katy Perry live. My favorite part of her performance, however, had to be Nicole Kidman singing along. However, Arcade Fire as the finale disappointed me...

...but I'm very glad they won Album of the Year. Regardless of their mediocre live performance, their actual album is very good and was arguably the best of the nominees. Good for the Grammy's for awarding music instead of mainstream success! It has been a recent concern of mine that they don't award the actual best, and instead they go for a nominee that is good and probably deserves to be nominated, but is given the win not because they're the actual best but because they're the most mainstream. That's why I didn't mind Esperanza Spalding winning Best New Artist. Yes, I never heard of her either. But I looked her up later on, and her stuff is great!
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I enjoyed the show a lot. I do wish they would have given more awards out, though.
    The Aretha tribute was amazing and I was glad to see how good she looked and sounded.
    We saw her in concert the night after MJ died and she was, obviously, not doing or looking at all well, then.
    Whatever they did for her has sure worked.
    I saw the Lady GaGa interview on 60 minutes before the show, so I wasn't overly surprised by her entrance. I understand that "artists" think they need a gimmick, but she's become a caricature, IMO. She's got a great voice and great musician skills. Could do without the ridiculousness. And, while I think her music is great dance music, it does sound so much like Madonna. I think GaGa has real talent - Madonna just has good marketing. Would prefer that GaGa make herself unique because of the caliber of her voice and musical prowess. She needs to leave the drama behind. But, it will never happen, I guess.
    I loved that Esperanza Spalding won. Girl is very talented. And, I prefer to see a jazz vocalist / bassist win over a young pop star who's very cute, but not all that talented, IMO.
    Loved seeing Jagger and Barbra Streisand. I can still remember seeing Jagger 20 years ago and he's still got it going on. Amazing.
    Was great to see Dylan, but I do think he needs to hang up the vocals. It was always more about the songs he wrote, for me. His vocals always took a backseat, anyway. Still, it was great to see so many icons on 1 stage tonight.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast