+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carrie Underwood: An All-Star Holiday Special 12/07 FOX

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Re: Carrie Underwood: An All-Star Holiday Special 12/07 FOX

If you forgot it was going to be on (like I did, until an hour into the show), it appears that it will be rerun on 12/22.

FORT Fan

I thought it was great. Of course, it was a little over the top in some things (playing musical instruments) but that's the charm of variety shows. I thought the whole Idol thing was funny... when she talked to Bo, Ryan, etc. I think Kristen Chenoweth (sp?) would be perfect to play Dolly Parton.

Carrie just sings so beautifully. I could listen to O Holy Night over and over.

I also noticed Mark from SYTYCD as one of her dancers and in the credits you see that Nigel Lythgoe and Adam Shankman were producers and some choreographers from SYTYCD dance (Tyce and Nap/Tabs) did the choreography. All in the family.

Nice review of last nights show.

Carrie Underwood and her 'All-Star Holiday Special': What a nice seasonal surprise it was | EW.com

Carrie Underwood has beaten the odds: at a time of the year when TV is clogged with Christmas specials, she managed to put one together that stood out. It had something for everyone — singing, sentiment, silliness, and sex. And she made its charms last for a full two hours.

At first, it was a little hard to see where the “holiday” in this An All-Star Holiday Special was going to apply. Underwood began by singing “Cowboy Casanova” attired in various tight black materials, with what looked like platform boots borrowed from KISS. Oh my, I thought, what a refreshing alternative to the seasonal red-and-green!

When I first read Underwood’s eclectic guest list — Dolly Parton and David Cook, no surprises there; but Kristen Chenoweth and Christina Applegate, too? — I thought, uh-oh, this could be a trying-to-please-everybody bland-fest. Instead, this varied line-up proved to be one of the strengths of the evening. Yes, she sang an impeccable duet with Dolly, a stark “I Will Always Love You.” But she also offered a sweetly raucous tribute to ’60s girl-group pop, as Underwood, Chenoweth and Applegate, in pink prom dresses and beehive hairdos, powered through a fine medley of songs such as “Leader of The Pack,” “Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow,” and “Be My Baby.”

The real theme of the show, a mix of songs performed in front of a studio audience and taped bits of comedy, was, as she put it, “a behind-the-scenes look at my life.” These included jolly little japes that played on Underwood’s supposed Hollywood innocence, such as trying to set up her sister Stephanie with dates that included Carson Kressley and a Johnny Depp impersonator. Underwood’s mom and dog Ace also got their brief, starring moments. Underwood’s own best funniness was a fake-flashback that showed her stuffing envelopes with cash for the Idol judges before her 2005 win.

Also highly amusing was Carol Leifer (hello, Carol!) playing Underwood’s manager, “Gwen Lefkowitz.” She had best line of the night, re Carrie: “It’s like hearing Bible verses come to life.”

Musical high points included “What Can I Say,” performed with the sharp young trio Sons of Sylvia. There was also a fine Carrie duet with Brad Paisley, with whom she sang while he was performing somewhere else and projected on a screen above Underwood. It could have been awkward; instead, it sounded terrific. Of course, it helped that the song they chose, “Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man,” was the fine 1973 hit for a classic country twosome, Conway Twitty and Loretta Lynn. Toward the end, Underwood also delivered some fine Christmas songs, including “Jesus Take The Wheel” and “O Holy Night.”

Was An All-Star Holiday Special corny at times? Sure it was. So what? Corn is part of country music, and corniness around this time of year can pass for another word: sincerity. You’d have to have a heart of stone to dislike what Underwood tried to pull off this evening, and for the most part, succeeded glowingly.

Overall I thought the show was very good but a little boring, 2 hours is too long, after 75 minutes I got a little bored. Too much of her sister, Carrie playing all the instruments wasn't funny, not in the least, for me. They could've had more guests or had David Cook sing 1 more song.

I loved watching David sing, Lies; and the view of Ace's life from his eyes (who was his voice?); and the Doo-Wop medley; and the Dolly duet; and the opening showing her "true" rise to winner of AI. I liked the rest of the show, but to have more than one "love" thrown in there made it really special. Good going, Carrie...I hope they give you another variety special down the road.

P.S. The Caucasian dancer in white in the first number looked familiar, but I can't place him. Did he look familiar to anyone else?
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

The voice of Ace was Neil Patrick Harris.

The numbers are in & Carrie & FOX finished second to the comedies on CBS, but she brought an almost 50% increase in audience for FOX over the same night last year.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12