+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: The 2009 Tony Awards (6/07)

Re: The 2009 Tony Awards (6/07)

Highs: Neil Patrick Harris as host, Angela Landsbury's win, the boys from Billy Elliot (loved the movie), and Jerry Herman's well deserved lifetime achievement award.

I was disappointed in the number from Guys and Dolls and especially by the actor playing Nicely-Nicely. I've never seen anyone do it like Stubby Kate from the original Boradway production and the movie, but this one was just bad and so did not fit the time and feeling of the show.

Did you all know that the original Broadway Sky Masterson was played by Robert Alda, father of Alan, who was a very handsome man with a Broadway quality baritone voice. Or that Jerry Orbach, who played Sky in the 1965 Broadway revival, was one of the customers in the barber chairs during the "Oldest Established Permanent Floating Crap Game" number in the movie, which was his first screen appearance? There is so much theater history wrapped in this show.

One of my fondest wishes is that now that the technology is available, the Broadway theater would begin putting both straight plays and musicals on DVD for us to rent and purchase just as we do films and tv. I'm sure there would be a large market for it. I own a couple of Theater In The Park DVD's from years ago when the quality wasn't very good, but I treasure them.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Re: The 2009 Tony Awards (6/07)

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3491597;
    Highs: Neil Patrick Harris as host, Angela Landsbury's win, the boys from Billy Elliot (loved the movie), and Jerry Herman's well deserved lifetime achievement award.

I was disappointed in the number from Guys and Dolls and especially by the actor playing Nicely-Nicely. I've never seen anyone do it like Stubby Kate from the original Boradway production and the movie, but this one was just bad and so did not fit the time and feeling of the show.

Did you all know that the original Broadway Sky Masterson was played by Robert Alda, father of Alan, who was a very handsome man with a Broadway quality baritone voice. Or that Jerry Orbach, who played Sky in the 1965 Broadway revival, was one of the customers in the barber chairs during the "Oldest Established Permanent Floating Crap Game" number in the movie, which was his first screen appearance? There is so much theater history wrapped in this show.

One of my fondest wishes is that now that the technology is available, the Broadway theater would begin putting both straight plays and musicals on DVD for us to rent and purchase just as we do films and tv. I'm sure there would be a large market for it. I own a couple of Theater In The Park DVD's from years ago when the quality wasn't very good, but I treasure them.
    I totally agree on the number from Guys and Dolls. I never saw it on Broadway, but Stubby Kaye's movie version (which I did see) was stellar and set the bar. The one on the Tonys was pretty mediocre.
    I also think it would be a great idea to put plays / musicals on DVD. It could also give them another source of revenue.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread