+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Which has been the best decade for music?

Re: Which has been the best decade for music?

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3396397;
    Overall, I'd say the '60s, but I can't believe no one mentioned the mid-'90s yet - Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden - all groundbreaking acts putting out amazing music. I would include Kurt Cobain, Eddie Vedder, Chris Cornell, and Scott Weiland (one of my personal all-time favourite singers) as four of the most influential and talented vocalists to come along since...well, I can't even think of any other male singers who even come close to them in the last couple of decades or more.
    Can't agree more about the whole 90's alternative rock era - do not call it grunge! - being special and groundbreaking in many ways. Pearl Jam still makes top notch music to this day and they fill up arenas without any trouble. Look at my av! You forgot Layne Staley; his voice was just so different and clear. Alice in Chains was a great band and Layne is missed. There was a lot of garbage born in the 90s that I'd rather forget though such as 'NSync and their boy band brotherhood.

I also loved the 80's perhaps minus the whole hairband thing but definitely New Wave, the 80's punk and even all the mid-weight cheese pop was in a class of it's own and still feels good. I still listen to 80's radio stations on the internet and it's never boring. Psychedelic Furs, The Cure, Cindy Lauper etc.

I can find something to like about every decade, even in the bad 70s disco wasteland.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

MRD

Well the 70's produced some amazing music and I hate when it's referred to as the disco decade. Disco was only a small part of all the really GREAT music that came out in that decade. Just like any other decade it had some bad music right along with the good stuff. And there were actually some pretty good disco records that came out, but like anything else, they get buried by all the crap that came out.

I think the decade we perfer has to do when we were "coming of age". I once read that the music of our youth, becomes the soundtrack of our life.
    Pretty accurate I think.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3396419;
    You forgot Layne Staley; his voice was just so different and clear. Alice in Chains was a great band and Layne is missed.
    I did forget them, and how could I after years of listening to "Man In The Box" almost daily?

mrd, I think that generally speaking, we do gravitate towards the music of our youth. For myself, I listened to tons of late '60's stuff when I was a teen. The '90's were a turbulent decade in my personal life but I found that I really identified with the new music from those years.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3396419;
    Can't agree more about the whole 90's alternative rock era - do not call it grunge!

You forgot Layne Staley; his voice was just so different and clear. Alice in Chains was a great band and Layne is missed. .
    I was about to post this, but you beat me to it! I do still like the Stones, ZZ Top, Blue Oyster Cult from the 70's, but rarely reach for music from any other artists from that time. I did like the metal bands of the 80's also (not the 'hair' bands, the ones like Metallica, Motorhead, Judas Priest, etc) but again, usually don't listen to that so much either.
    I do tend to listen to more late 80's and 90's alternative than anything, unless L. is around, then it's blues/rock from any time, which I like too. But since I know that's pretty much what he chooses every time, I reserve it for when he's in the car.

I don't exclusively listen to rock either, but, yeah, about 85% of the time. And there is very little almost nothing I can think of (other than classical or traditional) that came out pre 1963 or so that I would ever choose to listen to.

I guess the truth is I mostly pick and choose from any period between 1970 to the 1990's. Unfortunately, the music of the after-the millineum just doesn't do much for me. In my opinion, the fact that any and everyone can put it out there creates an environment where the vast majority of music of any genre is mediocre, and it's hard to find 'the good stuff' among all the junk. Today's music also seems to me to be crafted for short attention spans, and made in a hurry as well, many times with 'making money' as the main focus. Yes i am old, I reckon
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

While there was tons of great music in the 60's and 70's, my true love is for the 80's. Loved New Wave and those hair bands.
    I like some of today's music, but there is too much non musical rap & gangster on the radio, and too many remakes/ruins of great songs. And why does it seem like the majority of today's songs have to be sensored/bleeped? Can't anyone sing without having to swear. So many of the lyrics today are waaay too explicit - let's leave some stuff to the imagination guys!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3396442;
    Well the 70's produced some amazing music and I hate when it's referred to as the disco decade. Disco was only a small part of all the really GREAT music that came out in that decade. Just like any other decade it had some bad music right along with the good stuff. And there were actually some pretty good disco records that came out, but like anything else, they get buried by all the crap that came out.

I think the decade we perfer has to do when we were "coming of age". I once read that the music of our youth, becomes the soundtrack of our life.
    Pretty accurate I think.
    Check out the site about popstrology. It deals with who you are based on what tunes were playing at critical times in your life. There was also a book about the subject. It's all in good fun and you will see just how right you were about music influencing us.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "No matter how lovesick a woman is, she shouldn't take the first pill that comes along!"Joyce Brothers

Umm, hello? See avatar, lol! But really, isn't this question subjective? We're all going to say whatever decade it was when we were teenagers.

I'm going with the 80's !!! love Michael Jackson, Madonna, Prince, Wham!, George Michael, Cyndi Lauper, Go Go's, Belinda Carlise, Tiffany, Debbie Gibson, New kids on the block, Janet Jackson, so many more I can't even think of right now.

Also a big fan of the 60's. Love Motown music, Diana ross and the supremes etc.
    Last edited by chicagodiva; 01-19-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

The 80's are probably my favorite as well, even though I don't listen to the songs as often as I've used to. I really like quite a bit from the 90's, too.

90's were great. Love Amy Grant !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast