+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 51st Grammy Awards 2/8/09 8 p.m. on CBS

Re: 51st Grammy Awards 2/8/09 8 p.m. on CBS

I was shocked at how well Miley Cyrus did. Have never been a fan of hers, but she sure was good last night.

I'm not even sure why Satriani would want to claim any Coldplay song as his own. Musically, they are as exciting as watching paint dry. I can't fathom their popularity.

I missed the show but am delighted to hear that Plant & Krauss cleaned up. I have yet to buy the Raising Sand CD but I plan to grab a copy at first opportunity.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3311574;

Ok so I want to know, since I didn’t watch, did Joe Satriani serve Coldplay???
    I didn't watch the entire thing, and don't know if Satriani went through with it or not. But from what I did see, it seemed like Coldplay was taking every opportunity they could to thumb their nose at the whole thing. In accepting one award, they made some comment about thanking Paul McCartney for ripping him off ... and then went on to say it was their outfits. It just seemed a little too coincedental to me to not be planned.

AJane - while I agreeiwth you that I owudln't want to take credit for anything Coldplay, if you haven't had a chance to hear the comparison, it's worth seeking out. It is such a blatant rip-off that I don't quite understand why Coldplay wouldn't say "Guilty! You caught us, here's a check". Someone posted a side by side comparison of the two songs on YouTube. From what I've heard, I'd say case closed.

The controversy over Chris Brown's alleged beating of Rihanna has been the news all over the place. I'm surprised that it hasn't been touched on more in this thread. Some good articles about the case:

Chris Brown’s Alleged Assault Charges Could Cost Him His Endorsement Deals - Hip-Hop Media Training

Chris Brown News on Yahoo! Music

I was never a huge fan of his (I enjoy some of his songs, though), but he has gone down in my books after this whole ordeal. I know that Rihanna must have done something for him to trigger this behavior, because CB just doesn't seem like the person who would randomly beat his girlfriend for no good reason. The first article sums up his personality traits pretty well. He's a young kid, has had a huge amount of success, and was in a Doublemint ad. I just didn't expect this from him.

I'm waiting for it all to get cleared up so my questions can get answered.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3312342;
    The controversy over Chris Brown's alleged beating of Rihanna has been the news all over the place. I'm surprised that it hasn't been touched on more in this thread. Some good articles about the case:

Chris Brown’s Alleged Assault Charges Could Cost Him His Endorsement Deals - Hip-Hop Media Training

I was never a huge fan of his (I enjoy some of his songs, though), but he has gone down in my books after this whole ordeal. I know that Rihanna must have done something for him to trigger this behavior, because CB just doesn't seem like the person who would randomly beat his girlfriend for no good reason.

A man should never put hands on a woman what ever the circumstances so I refuse to blame this on Rihanna. I have hear that Rihanna has hit him before that however doesn't make him hitting her right. What people need to do if they can't act like humans is leave each other alone. Chris should know better since his mother is a victim of Domestic Violence!

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3312342;

I was never a huge fan of his (I enjoy some of his songs, though), but he has gone down in my books after this whole ordeal. I know that Rihanna must have done something for him to trigger this behavior, because CB just doesn't seem like the person who would randomly beat his girlfriend for no good reason. The first article sums up his personality traits pretty well. He's a young kid, has had a huge amount of success, and was in a Doublemint ad. I just didn't expect this from him.

I'm waiting for it all to get cleared up so my questions can get answered.
    Personally, I would rather talk about the actual show then this sad affair. But...
    1. There is no reason that he should have hit her or any other woman and
    2. From what I have heard about her wounds, where are his?
    3. We don't have anything approaching facts at this point, so all speculation is just speculation.

No one should ever hit another. Men usually have a physical advantage over women, so the no hitting rule goes double for them. Walk away. If he hit or otherwise harmed a woman he has no one to blame but HIMSELF. I don't care how cute, talented, sweet he is. He is responsible for what he does.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

I don't know if the comments above were directly addressed towards me, but if they were, I definitely don't think CB had any right to hit Rihanna. I was just saying, there must have been something between the two of them that caused him to do such a horrible thing. But still, the meaning behind it all does not justify his actions.

The police stated that Rihanna was indeed the woman who called in and said that Chris had hurt her (source is the second link I posted above). I'm still wondering what it was that led him to do this.

AsIs, I'm sorry that I brought up such an unfortunate situation to this thread. But it is related to the show itself since they were both scheduled to perform, and I was curious as to how others felt about it. I do agree with you, though, that he is ultimately responsible for what he did, no matter what the reason was.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Carrie is getting great reviews not only for her performance, but also for her look.

Johnathon Arndt Gallery of Jewels :: Johnathon Arndt Gallery of Jewels

At this year's 51st GRAMMY Awards, Carrie Underwood glistened in Johnathon Arndt Jewels. As she walked the red carpet, Underwood sparkled in one-of-a-kind pieces made exclusively for her on this special night. Underwood wore magnificent 12 carat Diamond Drop Earrings and a beautiful 5 carat Yellow Diamond Cluster Ring. Underwood has been a fan of Johnathon Arndt Jewels for years! She wore custom pieces to the 2007 and 2008 CMA Awards.

"We could not have a chosen a better star to wear our jewelry. The pieces we design for Carrie each year compliment her impeccable style and do not distract from her natural beauty," says Johnathon Arndt, co-owner and designer of Johnathon Arndt Gallery of Jewels.

EURweb.com - STEVEN IVORY: Why The 51st Grammys Stunk

Say what you want, but Carrie Underwood is the truth. She sang her natural ass off, is an instinctive entertainer and has given 150 percent every time I've seen her.

All 25 Grammy Performances -- Ranked! | Spin Magazine Online

2. Carrie Underwood, "Last Name"
    Wearing an inexplicably dazzling peach-colored combo of flouncy top, hot pants, bondage gear, and glittery heels, and backed by what seemed to be a hellish mash-up of Fallout Boy, Poison, and Maroon 5, Underwood howled this tale of Cuervo-related, anonymous cheap Pinto sex and quickie Vegas marriage with such force and undulating glee (accompanied by en fuego blonde guitar shredder Orianthi Panagaris) that she seemed to scare the poor Jonas Bros. sh**less. Burnin' up? Underwood lit a match to the boys' precious coifs and strutted off giggling.

Best Grammys Ever? No, Not Really: American Songwriter Blogs the Show | American Songwriter

They did a decent job, but both U2 and Coldplay got blown out of the water by Carrie Underwood, who seemed possessed by the raging spirits of Lyrnyrd Skynrd and Fleetwood Mac. With badass female lead guitar player in tow, Underwood destroyed the stage with the down-and-dirty “Last Name.” Did she always sing like this? Her performance shows you what pop music is designed to do, more than rock even — please, perform, and impress.

"Last Name," Carrie Underwood - Grammy Awards 2009 - TIME

Underwood delivers a saucy performance to match the sauciest song of her young career — and I like! In the past Underwood has looked a little overwhelmed in big rooms, but this time she seizes control of the crowd and rocks them hard.
    Grade: A

The Grammy Awards: Or How Carrie Underwood's Voice and M.I.A's Belly Stole the Show | The New York Observer

Best Best Performance
    With apologies to Radiohead, who performed their song "15 Step" with the USC Marching Band (the first time in history of earth that being in the marching band could be considered cool), no one brought the house down like... Carrie Underwood? Really, we were surprised, too. But Ms. Underwood's performance of her Best Female Country Vocal-winning "Last Name", a salacious number about a potential one-night stand that turns into a quickie Vegas wedding, was unbelievable. Showcasing her booming voice and a fantastic stage presence, "Last Name" made us want to reconsider the entire country music genre. If the songs sound like this, then sign us up! (Ms. Underwood was more rocking than Best Rock Album winners Coldplay.)

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

"With apologies to Radiohead, who performed their song "15 Step" with the USC Marching Band (the first time in history of earth that being in the marching band could be considered cool)"

LOL I think they were cooler with Fleetwood Mac doing Tusk.. but then again that’s me showing my age.. and the fact I am not a Radiohead fan. And the fact that out of all the links and quotes in that post that I picked that out to comment on shows again, not a Carrie Fan. Seeing her on the Grammys again only screams to me that the girl needs to eat more and needs wardrobe help. I will admit she’s become slightly less wooden but watching her move (maybe because I’m not a fan of her voice, or her looks) is still painful. She just has an un-natural way about her at times when she’s singing. I can’t put my finger on it and it drives me nuts.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3313431;
    Carrie is getting great reviews not only for her performance, but also for her look.
    And so she should. I agree wholeheartedly with the reviews posted above. She was my only reason for tuning in and I'm glad she killed it.

No, forget killed it, She OWNED it. The combination of her vocals (the glory note was amazing) and that guitar player face melting was just awesome.

Showing off her legs didn't hurt things either I'm sure. I mean...daaaamn.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast