+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Getting Older and Music

Getting Older and Music

I wanted to know if it's just me or if this is common: When I was a teen, and well into my 20's, I was really into music. I went to concerts, and would get CDs right as they came out, etc. I had strong likes and dislikes.

Now, I still love listening to music, but my taste is not as picky as it once was. Sometimes in the grocery store I will hear a song that's 15-20 years old and think to myself 'Aww, this is a good song!' At the GROCERY STORE! LOL. Most of the songs on my iPod are pretty mainstream stuff or older stuff. I'm just not as into the latest and greatest music as I once was. And I'm not 80 years old, I'm in my early 30s.

Is this normal, or have I gotten lazy?

Re: Getting Older and Music

I think it is pretty normal. I am a few years older than you. I listen to most anything, but I have no love at alll for what is going on in the Pop/Rap/Hip Hop world what so ever. I avoid it like the plague. I don't have an ipod, but I do burn up the XM Radio. And since I have had XM & all the variety it brings me my music purchasing days have almost stopped entirely.

I don't think my musical tastes have changed at all since I was a kid. Except I buy cds now instead of cassette tapes. Sometimes I listen to an mp3 player but I've only purchased maybe a dozen downloads. Most of the time I rip the tracks from a cd I own. My musical tastes have always been all over the place. I can't find a genre of music that I don't like (well, except Zydeco). That doesn't mean I like ALL music of course, just the good ones in each genre. I also go to more concerts now than I did when I was a kid. But that had to do with my mom not being able to afford it, not a lack of interest on my part.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

My music tastes have run all over the spectrum since I got older but I have definitely went thru my "phases"...

Younger years I was all about the Osmonds and just knew I was going to be the future Mrs. Donald Wayne Osmond!

High school was all about the hair bands and I just knew I was about to be the future Mrs. David Lee Roth!

Then I went through my country obsession and I knew I was going to be the future Mrs. Troyal Garth Brooks!

Now with a 15 year old son, who is all about the rap world, I guess I need to imagine I'm going to be the future Mrs. Will Smith! (While I realize Will Smith isn't hardcore rap, there's not a rap artist out there that I find husband worthy! )

What I love is that my son will hear songs that he thinks are "cool" and I love getting to tell him that that is a old song from my era...I always tell him music comes back around.....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;3206536;
    My music tastes have run all over the spectrum since I got older but I have definitely went thru my "phases"...

Younger years I was all about the Osmonds and just knew I was going to be the future Mrs. Donald Wayne Osmond!

High school was all about the hair bands and I just knew I was about to be the future Mrs. David Lee Roth!

Then I went through my country obsession and I knew I was going to be the future Mrs. Troyal Garth Brooks!

Now with a 15 year old son, who is all about the rap world, I guess I need to imagine I'm going to be the future Mrs. Will Smith! (While I realize Will Smith isn't hardcore rap, there's not a rap artist out there that I find husband worthy! )

What I love is that my son will hear songs that he thinks are "cool" and I love getting to tell him that that is a old song from my era...I always tell him music comes back around.....
    Yeah, I used to go through phases, and that kind of stopped a few years ago. Now the music purchases have slowed a LOT. I have an iPod, which I use a good deal, but I'm always at a loss as to what to purchase on iTunes. I've really fallen out of the loop as far as music is concerned. I'm not into hip hop/rap/or even most Pop music, and the stuff that I used to like ('alternative') has mostly gotten stale. I find myself downloading old John Lennon stuff and going backward, discovering or re-discovering old songs. It's fun but I feel like a fogey, LOL. I can't tell if this is a rediscovery phase or if I'm just getting to the point where I'm too old to be into the new stuff.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

do you really mean donald CLARK osmond? i'm STILL in love with him

isn't that awesome??? many years ago, when my daughter was younger and aaron carter was just a little kid, she was listening to his cd and i had a good time telling her that "one bad apple" was originally an osmond song.

I used to tell my son that he took away one of the pleasures of being a parent. I couldn't complain to him that "you call that **** music??" because it was the same stuff I listened to in high school ...
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

My daughter got guitar hero and most of the songs on there are songs that were from my time. The funny thing about that to me is that my parents were SOOOOO outraged by the music I listened to back then. They would lecture me about how awful the music is, and the lyrics were offensive, and they acted so embarrassed that I listened to it, like I was a bad apple or something. And now it's on a game for KIDS. LOL! And Guns N Roses ballads are on light rock stations. I love it.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3206960;
    do you really mean donald CLARK osmond? i'm STILL in love with him
    Oops...that's what I get for not going back and re-reading what I wrote! And I'm still in love with him too....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Techsan by the grace of G texasgirl73's Avatar

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's like this as I get older. I used to buy cassettes and CDs all the time. Now, I can't remember the last time I bought an actual CD from a store...if I like a song I download it, but it's usually something 10-20-30 years old. I don't keep up with modern pop music like I used to back in the day, it just doesn't interest me. Or if I hear it, I usually think it sounds like crud, making me wonder why anyone would willingly listen to it.
    *Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes*

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast