+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Getting Older and Music

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Re: Getting Older and Music

Okay - I am in the much older age group. LOL Before Television was in every home, my home, at least played 78s featuring the big bands along with jazz. In the evenings we would listen, dance and play games - after homework, of course. Then in junior high we discovered 50's pop and 45's became the record of choice. I loved all the goofy songs such as "Pink Shoelaces". Then by high school, the 33rpm and the album became popular - as well as American Bandstand on TV (every afternoon at 4:00 after school let out). The dance songs became more edgy with Elvis and Bobby Rydell. Ah...then the revolution that took place when I hit college in 1964...the Beatles, the Stones. That is the evolution I went through and I continue to evolve today.

While I've never been able to listen to rap - admitting I haven't tried hard enough - I have committed to everything from classical (because I sang in a choir and came to appreciate it from that experience) to the hard rhythms of metal to an extended period with country. What really brought me back to rock was Dilana during the Rockstar show. Since then I have gone looking for rock to download, though I mostly stay in the alternative section - I discovered Regina Kaplan after a segment done by the CBS Morning Show and now have all her quirky songs.

I guess my experience says to keep you ears open and you might find gems in whatever trend is popular at that moment in time.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

MRD

I have been watching the Tom Petty documentary called Runnin' Down a Dream.
    It's been great, but in the 90's he worked with Johnny Cash and his comment about that was that the roots of rock and roll came out of country and how much he loves traditional country. He said that what passes for country today is just "lame rock and roll with fiddles". I had to laugh as I don't listen to must country music recorded after 1980.
    I too prefer the older stuff. And my mother passed that love on to me. My husband who listened to heavy metal until the 90's, then switched to more modern country. I keep teasing him that that is quite a change in musical tastes.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My husband has gone from listening to rap, R&B hip hop to just turning the AM station on for the news.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3238727;
    My husband has gone from listening to rap, R&B hip hop to just turning the AM station on for the news.
    He is detoxing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345