+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Getting Older and Music

Re: Getting Older and Music

Quote Originally Posted by onei0091;3206283;
    Now, I still love listening to music, but my taste is not as picky as it once was. Sometimes in the grocery store I will hear a song that's 15-20 years old and think to myself 'Aww, this is a good song!' At the GROCERY STORE! LOL. Most of the songs on my iPod are pretty mainstream stuff or older stuff. I'm just not as into the latest and greatest music as I once was. And I'm not 80 years old, I'm in my early 30s.
    I am also in my early 30s and I used to be the same way - buying CDs as soon as they came out, etc. That has definitely tapered off for me. I occasionally realize as I walk down the aisle at the grocery store that I am humming along to the Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young song that is playing!!!

My iPod is full of stuff that generally falls into 3 categories:
    (1) Stuff I grew up listening to because my parents liked it, but I probably wouldn't generally admit to liking!!
    (2) Stuff from CDs that I picked up thru my high school & college years.
    (3) More recent discoveries are typically singles that I buy online. I have Sirius radio in my car and I find that I "discover" a lot of new music that way - I look up the artist on iTunes and just download whatever tracks I like.

My kids are 4-15 yo so thru them I get a sampling of everything from the latest hip-hop to the latest Hannah Montana. Sadly I can probably sing along with the majority of Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus songs - but not out of choice - I think that Disney pop stuff just soaks into you, like osmosis!

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3234828;
    Having teenagers at the advanced age of 46, they help keep me up with different types of music and it has become some of our best bonding moments. My 17yo son will play his guitar for me (porcupine tree usually) and we'll sing together.
    Awww. That is just such a nice thought.

FORT Newbie

I have only changed my tastes in music when I realized I really love Country and I really love Hip Hop.
    I am older then you and I have loved Rap since I hear Grand Master Flash and Curtis Blow.
    From there it was Eazy E and Dr. Dre when he did The Chronic and Snoop from the beginning although watching his family TV show I see him in a much different light.
    I feel people who hate Rap have never bothered to listen to what is being said.
    They are more comfortable with saying they can'r stand to hear it but my question would be....hear what?
    Listen to Rapper's Delight.

Quote Originally Posted by JEWISHPRINCESS;3235748;
    From there it was Eazy E and Dr. Dre when he did The Chronic and Snoop from the beginning although watching his family TV show I see him in a much different light.
    I feel people who hate Rap have never bothered to listen to what is being said.
    They are more comfortable with saying they can'r stand to hear it but my question would be....hear what?
    I found a love of rap music in the very late 80s/early 90s - NWA, A Tribe Called Quest, Sir Mix-a-Lot, etc. I find myself griping about the rap music my son listens to because most of it doesn't seem to have the same quirkiness and social commentary aspects of the rap music I liked "back in the day". And yes, I have found some exceptions to that statement (Outkast, The Spooks, etc), but I think that the mainstream hip-hop tends toward the "hot girls, money, bling, fancy cars, drinkin, and clubbin" drivel that I am not so interested in.

I too loved the old rap from the 80s. I had a vinyl of NWA and played it until it warped. I was also into serious hair bands during that time and find myself still listening to metal and rock even at my age.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3235814;
    I too loved the old rap from the 80s. I had a vinyl of NWA and played it until it warped. I was also into serious hair bands during that time and find myself still listening to metal and rock even at my age.
    I read this and immediately looked to the left to see if your info listed your age and it lists it at 34!! I don't think we (since I am close to that age) are allowed to say things like "even at my age" yet!!!

I guess I just feel very old sometimes when I hear some of the music that the kids are listening to!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3235863;
    I guess I just feel very old sometimes when I hear some of the music that the kids are listening to!!
    I had one of those "feeling very old due to music" moments at a football game this summer. My two oldest kids (both young teens) were completely mortified that I knew all of the words to Cheeseburger in Paradise by Jimmy Buffet. It is one of those songs I just loved as a kid!

MRD

I'm 46, so you guys are definetly not allowed to say "even at my age" yet.

My tastes have definetly expanded as I've gotten older. I've even embraced my parents music that I once couldn't stand (big band, but I was young and stupid. However, I STILL cannot watch reruns of The Lawrence Welk Show)

I liked rap when it first came out. I don't like it today because it does seem to be more about material things and women than it used to be.

I once heard that the music we grow up with becomes the soundtrack of our lives. I heard that YEARS ago and I have never forgotten that. Which is why the classic station is my number one favorite in the car. However, with a 17 year old I get exposed to some interesting stuff especially as she's really into Indie music and not even the mainstream stuff most 17 year olds listen too. I'm just glad she's graduated from Brittany and the Spice Girls. Oh were those some really, really, really awful years.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3236032;

My tastes have definetly expanded as I've gotten older. I've even embraced my parents music that I once couldn't stand (big band, but I was young and stupid. However, I STILL cannot watch reruns of The Lawrence Welk Show)
    My parents loved Lawrence Welk. In fact, they once tried to get tickets to one of his shows when we were travelling but it was sold out. Every year after that we received a Christmas card from Lawrence Welk that they proudly didplayed at the top of the doorway where they used to hang all the cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3236032;
    I liked rap when it first came out. I don't like it today because it does seem to be more about material things and women than it used to be.
    When I was in college, the girls on the floor above us listed to "Rapper's Delight" night and today and I believe I still to this day, know it word for word.
    CYA

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast