+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Getting Older and Music

MRD

Re: Getting Older and Music

My tastes have opened up more as I've gotten older. I hated Aerosmith and Black Sabbath when I was a teen. Now that I'm 46, I LOVE them. I also listen to more types of music. I like some of the newer stuff, but not much of it. Since I have a teen that is into Indie music, I don't hear the more mainstream stuff that is played on the radio today so I just don't hear the new stuff. I'm definetly not into today's pop and I don't like rap or hip hop.

Hey, AC/DC just came out with a new album and they play it on the classic rock station I listen too.

But I now will listen to what I call the "old standards" which were my parents music that I HATED when I was younger, however, you will still not find me watching reruns of Lawrence Welk anytime soon.

I also listen to more jazz now too.
    Oh and I don't listen to todays country. I like the older country stuff from say before 1985.

And I've found that bands I once listened to a LOT, I don't like so much any more. I used to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Van Halen. Now, it's just hard to listen to them and I don't know why.

I'm all over the place with music though. Depends on my mood. My ipod has everything from gospel to country to oldies, to standards,rock, blues, jazz, classical and even Scottish Bagpipes.
    I literally have something for everyone's taste on there. Even one Black eyed Peas song.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by onei0091;3206283;
    I wanted to know if it's just me or if this is common: When I was a teen, and well into my 20's, I was really into music. I went to concerts, and would get CDs right as they came out, etc. I had strong likes and dislikes.

Now, I still love listening to music, but my taste is not as picky as it once was. Sometimes in the grocery store I will hear a song that's 15-20 years old and think to myself 'Aww, this is a good song!' At the GROCERY STORE! LOL. Most of the songs on my iPod are pretty mainstream stuff or older stuff. I'm just not as into the latest and greatest music as I once was. And I'm not 80 years old, I'm in my early 30s.

Is this normal, or have I gotten lazy?
    It's farily normal I think. I love music and still go to concerts and by CD's but I think todays rap & hip hop music is hard for me to get into.
    I do love older Rock music and I now seem to like Smooth Jazz a lot. It's a way to unwind.
    Treat me with respect and I'll treat you with respect.

Im with all of you on this..Im 18 and i think music in this day and age has lost its edge and become nothing but a joke to the people who knows "real" music. I agree with you on the grocery store music..I remember being in my campus bookstore and hearing Real McCoy, Amber, Angie Brown, C + C Factory, Crystal waters, Hanson, Haddaway, Alice Deejay, Robin, Culture beat and many more amazing artist and songs from the 80s and 90s...Those were the times to get up and dance and act wild...now today with this new generation everythng has gone down hill...everyone is acting like senseless clones and listeniong to bull...Lil Mama how did she become famous? and why? her songs are terrible.
    Think Before You Act...."We Were Here All Together Yesterday" Stole Stole Stole

I stayed current with music through the mid 90's then it was back to 80's all the way. I like some current stuff but not much. I still love concerts too.

The old saying, "If it's too loud, you are too old" definately applies to me and I'm not even old! Younger years...music blaring on the stereo, MTV on the TV, concerts and dance clubs. Now...just give me silence! My kids will turn the radio on in the car (I keep it off) and I think to myself, I don't know one song that has played yet. Then I start too feel really, really old. Why is it, that if you don't know the latest songs or groups, it somehow makes you feel old? I do have to say, I am learning some of the newer songs though. Kind of hard not too when you have an 8 year old on the computer singing at the top of her lungs to songs on the youtube karaoke. Course knowing the words to songs by Hannah Montana, Jonas Brothers, Demi Lavato and Selena Gomez, I don't know that that qualifies me as being hip or not!
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Dean Martin
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

I have to play it loud, my hearing's going.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

WHHHATTTTTTT????? *yelling*
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by Jptopmodel8;3213273;
    Im with all of you on this..Im 18 and i think music in this day and age has lost its edge and become nothing but a joke to the people who knows "real" music. I agree with you on the grocery store music..I remember being in my campus bookstore and hearing Real McCoy, Amber, Angie Brown, C + C Factory, Crystal waters, Hanson, Haddaway, Alice Deejay, Robin, Culture beat and many more amazing artist and songs from the 80s and 90s...Those were the times to get up and dance and act wild...now today with this new generation everythng has gone down hill...everyone is acting like senseless clones and listeniong to bull...Lil Mama how did she become famous? and why? her songs are terrible.
    Now I feel old!!! The only name on that list I recognize is Hanson and that's only because they show up in People magazine occasionally and my now 20 year old daughter "used to" like them. My musical tastes also run the gamut - classic rock mostly, but I didn't really like it when I was a teenager. I also like to download Pussycat Dolls onto my Ipod so when I get on the treadmill at the gym I have something lively to motivate me to walk faster.

These are the CD's in my drawer at work (where I usually spend way too much time on FORT and not enough in actual work ):

Steve Miller Band, Santana, ZZTop, Pink, The Doors, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Segar, Classical Piano, The Beatles, Prince, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Keith Urban, Van Morrison, Dixie Chicks, Trisha Yearwood and a re-mix of all the popular 70's disco songs

Found two more under a pile of paper: Elvis and Enya!
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

Honestly I think part of it is laziness and lack of time/interest of the part of older people. So many of my contemporarys are completely stuck in the music of their youth. I always promised myself that I wouldn't be one of those "old farts" and keep up with music and for the most part I have. Having teenagers at the advanced age of 46, they help keep me up with different types of music and it has become some of our best bonding moments. My 17yo son will play his guitar for me (porcupine tree usually) and we'll sing together.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast