+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MTV VMA's 2008

Re: MTV VMA's 2008

Yeah, I didn't appreciate the host dude telling us who to vote for but I did laugh when he said the little retarded cowboy.

Why can't Lil Wayne pull up his pants. Really wow!? Annoying. Seems like they had the same artists perform over and over, also annoying.

What was with Britney? I guess she needed an ego boost.

Michael Phelps didn't even sport those big headphones this year.

And I totally had to do a bio check on if that Tokio Hotel person was male or female. Wow!! I think I am getting a little old for all this.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Boring is too nice. It was beyond lame, but i wont blame Russel.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

I kind of stopped paying attetion half-way through. Yes, I was definitely disappointed. But I did enjoy a few things:

Pink's performance. I thought it was great. Just a few years ago, her songs weren't really appearing on the Billboard charts. She was definitely experiencing a disappointing downfall. But then she made a comeback, and now her new single (the one she performed) is now ar #3. Congrats to her.

Jordin's little comment about chastity rings. Made me like her even more. And it left Russell having to apologise about what he said. Go Jordin!

Britney. Well, I didn't really enjoy her tonight, but I just wanted to bring her up. Everyone was talking about her big comeback tonight, but all she said was 4 sentences! I was left so confused. But hey, she won 3 awards tonight, so good for her.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoBoFan;3192032;
    Katy had no business wearing "Coochie Cutter/Hot Pants" with THOSE Thighs.
    Katy Perry has no business undermining Jill Sobule's awesome "I Kissed A Girl" song from a dozen-plus years ago and her PJ Harvey cum severely emotionally disturbed and addled PJ Harvey (a/k/a Amy Winehouse) cum average, everyday sellout "sound" is just crap, but I see nothing wrong with her thighs. Other than maybe she eats more than once a week.

In spite of my rather spotty internet connection post-Gustav, I finally caught Russel Brand's opening. Good lord, how I miss him and the Mighty Boosh guys. He looked a might bit nervous and was still funny so I'll be looking to check the rest of the show out inasmuch as the evil Cox overlord allow.

Here's a little recap of the show:

Britney sweeps at otherwise tame VMAs

It took a year, but Britney Spears got the comeback she was seeking from the MTV Video Music Awards -- and she didn't even have to sing or dance.

Spears nabbed three VMAs, including video of the year, erasing last year's career-low performance. Her first Moonman trophies came during a 25th anniversary show that otherwise lacked a defining moment, with most of the zaniness coming from host Russell Brand.

"Wow, thank you, I'm in shock right now. I was not expecting this," Spears, looking spectacular in a shimmering silver dress, said as she accepted her third trophy of the evening for "Piece of Me."

Spears kept all three of her acceptance speeches short.

"This is such an honor to have this award right now," she said. "I want to thank my fans, this is dedicated to you."

There was no such honor for Spears last year, when the declining diva -- by then known more for her tabloid exploits and erratic behavior -- kicked off the Las Vegas telecast. Looking haggard and dazed, Spears bumbled her way through a performance of "Gimme More" that gave new meaning to the phrase "Sin City."

Though Spears didn't perform this time, she still opened the show, giving a blink-and-you-missed-it introduction of Rihanna. Still, just being there was enough for a standing ovation from the star-studded crowd long before she opened her mouth to get things rolling.

Spears did provide a few laughs during a pre-taped comedic segment with "Superbad" actor Jonah Hill that preceded the live telecast. There were a few more laughs during comedian Brand's opening monologue, but the celeb audience seemed more nervous than amused, as the frenetic Brit took aim at Madonna, the virginity of teen sensations the Jonas Brothers and President Bush, whom he called "a retarded cowboy fellow."

He clearly got under the skin of one celebrity, however, with his jokes about promise rings, which the Jonas Brothers wear to signify their virginity. Another famous promise-ring wearer, Jordin Sparks, said before giving out one award:

"I just wanna say, it's not bad to wear a promise ring because not every guy and a girl wants to be a slut, OK?" she quipped.

Afterward, a somewhat contrite Brand apologized to a stone-faced Jonas Brothers, saying, "I didn't mean to take it lightly" before adding, "a little sex once and a while never hurt anybody."

Though the VMAs have been defined by zany, wild moments in the past -- the Michael and Lisa Marie kiss, the Britney-Madonna kiss, Prince's butt-out jeans just to name a few -- there were more head-scratching moments than outrageous ones at the sprawling Paramount Studios lot.

The prim and proper Leona Lewis gave a graceful opening performance for a song by ... Lil Wayne, who appeared on stage barechested, displaying his tattooed torso as his pants hung below his buttocks (Ralph Lauren's underwear line got a nice plug, however). He performed hits "A Milli" and a song with T-Pain.

The Jonas Brothers performed a version of their song "Lovebug" that was so genteel one might have thought they were doing a tribute to the Osmonds. But the trio then segued to a rocked-out version of the song in the final moments, as a throng of screaming fans surrounded them on one of the movie's many sets.

Pink gave perhaps the show's most rousing performance, a pyrotechnic-fueled performance of her new song, "So What."

T.I.'s performance was also noteworthy, since the last time he was due to perform at an awards show, he was arrested instead. At last year's BET Hip-Hop Awards, he was accused of trying to buy machine guns and silencers (he was sentenced earlier this year to serve about a year in prison after completing at least 1,000 hours of community service).

He performed a new song with Rihanna, who also appeared on last year's show. But the dazzling singer from Barbados is hardly in need of any second chances, coming into the VMAs as one of music's hottest acts thanks to her two No. 1 hits of the summer, "Take a Bow" and "Disturbia."

Closing the night was Kanye West who, like Spears, was hoping for a second chance after a disappointing VMA experience last year. In Las Vegas, he had a Kanye-sized hissy fit backstage and vowed never to appear at the VMAs again after he didn't get a Moonman trophy despite several nominations.

This time, he had a stage all to himself, but he still may have reason to be miffed: he won no trophies during the ceremony, and, appearing after Spears accepted her third and final trophy of the evening, may have been more of an afterthought.
    Link
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I thought the commercial for the awards was cute and funny, where Britney can't remember Russell's last name and mistakes it for "Brown." But his monologue was horrible and he just wasn't that funny. He looked too nervous and all that pacing. Ugh! Kate Perry's thighs didn't bother me but I thought he was way too plump to be wearing those skinny skinny jeans. Ugh! Jordin Sparks is a Republican, right? I noticed that they flashed to her not laughing face when he was talking about how horrible President Bush was. Michael Phelps didn't do such a good delivery of the Lil Wayne intro...which makes me wonder how good he'll be hosting "Saturday Night Live" this weekend. I don't think he'll be as good as Peyton or LeBron were. Anyhow, I stopped watching after that. It was just b-o-r-i-n-g.

I think it's unanimous that we were all bored to tears! I actually fell asleep! After reading the results of the winners, I can honestly say that I didn't miss anything. I was very disappointed that Flo Rida didn't win anything. Also on the "New Artist" category, I'm totally clueless as to who "Tokio Hotel" is. At least I know who the others are that were nominated in that category. I've never heard of Tokio Hotel until last night. Britney sure did rack up didn't she?

I'm sure MTV will re-broadcast the show many times as they always do. Anyone who wants to endure the pain can tune in.

2008 MTV Video Music Awards, Nominees, Winners, Clips, TV Schedule

2008 MTV VMA Nominees * Winners

Video of the Year
    Britney Spears, Piece of Me
    Chris Brown, Forever
    Jonas Brothers, Burnin' Up
    Pussycat Dolls, When I Grow Up
    The Ting Tings, Shut Up and Let Me Go

Best Female Video
    Mariah Carey, Touch My Body
    Katy Perry, I Kissed A Girl
    Rihanna, Take A Bow
    Jordin Sparks, No Air

Best Male Video
    Chris Brown, With You
    Flo Rida, Low
    Lil Wayne, Lollipop
    T.I., No Matter What
    Usher, Love This Club

Best Hip Hop Video
    Lil Wayne, Lollipop
    Mary J. Blige, Just Fine
    Lupe Fiasco, Superstar
    Flo Rida, Low
    Kanye West, Homecoming

Best Pop Video
    Danity Kane, Damaged
    Jonas Brothers, Burnin Up
    Panic at the Disco, Nine in the Afternoon
    Tokio Hotel, Ready, Set, Go!

Best Dancing in a Video
    Pussycat Dolls, When I Grow Up
    Chris Brown, Forever
    Danity Kane, Damaged
    Madonna, 4 Minutes
    Ne Yo, Closer

Best Rock Video
    Linkin Park, Shadow of the Day
    Fall Out Boy, Beat It
    Foo Fighters, The Pretender
    Parmamore, crushcrushcrush
    Slipknot, Psychosocial

Best New Artist
    Tokio Hotel, Ready, Set Go!
    Miley Cyrus, 7 Things
    Katy Perry, I Kissed a Girl
    Jordin Sparks, No Air
    Taylor Swift, Teardrops on My Guitar

I watched a little bit of it and I have to say that Russell Brand was a big letdown. I like political humour but only when it's really funny, and I just barely cracked a couple of smiles during his monologue. And Kid Rock - you can keep pulling rap artists onstage but your new single is still a big ol' pop radio sellout. All in all an underwhelming show, and though I'm not a fan of Britney Spears I'm glad to see her shaped up and sober.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

i have not been watching this show for 3 years now. thank God i miss it again this year!!

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3192350;
    I thought the commercial for the awards was cute and funny, where Britney can't remember Russell's last name and mistakes it for "Brown." But his monologue was horrible and he just wasn't that funny. He looked too nervous and all that pacing. Ugh! Kate Perry's thighs didn't bother me but I thought he was way too plump to be wearing those skinny skinny jeans.
    Rihanna's thighs were bunched up in her first outfit due to it's tightness.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast