+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Tony Awards - 6/15

The Tony Awards - 6/15

Is there anyone else planning on watching tonight?

No big surprise with my screenname, but I absolutely love musical theater, so I'm excited to catch this every year. How can a fan not be excited by the original cast of "Rent" appearing together tonight?

And Whoopi... she's always a trip.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

MRD

Re: The Tony Awards - 6/15

I plan on it if I can wrestle the remote away from my husband. I love Broadway musicals and I love Whoopi.

I'm pulling for South Pacific. I am a Rogers and Hammerstein fan from WAY back. And besides, Tales of the South Pacific was the first Michner book I ever read (that the musical was based on) and I love all the songs from it so much. Bali hi....

CBS Sunday morning did a great special on it today and interviewed the daughters of Rogers and Hammerstein. They were a HOOT! They had me just cracking up.

So hopefully I can either watch it on one of the tv's since my daughter has gone to the movies and it's either her or my husband dominating the living room tv at all times.

ETA: Love your avatar btw.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

The cast of South Pacific is giving a performance right now, MRD!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Sorry Broadway....I had company tonight so I couldn't watch it (plus most everyone was watching Tiger in the US Open)...I hate that I missed the awards...I love Whoopi....care to give any details as to who won, etc?
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

A number of shows that I must see now! I'm now oddly fascinated by Xanadu as it looks wacky and a bit different from what I "remember" of the old movie. But then.. I guess I don't remember much of the movie other than it was Olivia Newton-John.

Gypsy is racking up the awards. Laura Benanti won for Best Featured Actress and gave the most adorable speech. She was so touched that her director stood up to clap for her and you could just feel her excitement. It was so cute (and so was/is her hubby.. YOWZA!) Featured Actor was also from Gypsy, but I don't remember his name. 10:50 Patty LuPone just won for Gypsy, too.

(side note/scream) RENT!!!!!! I can't believe it is closing. *sniff*

Okay...MRD's wishes came true... South Pacific won for Best Revival. They are also cleaning up for everything under the sun. Set Design, Lighting, etc....

Ummm.... fun to see Max and Laura are still in Grease (for those of us that watched that reality show. )

In the Heights looks like a fun musical about Puerto Rican culture in NYC. They won for Best Score, Choreography... and a couple other awards, I think.
    Last edited by Broadway; 06-15-2008 at 10:52 PM.

Broadway, I never ever miss the Toni's. I'm watching right now. I grew up in Manhattan and spent many happy hours at Broadway and off-Broadway plays and musicals.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

!!!! I'm not alone!!! Thanks, Florimel!

I was always a fan of theater growing up in Michigan, but moving to NYC in 2001 made my dreams come true as I was able to go to a show any darn time I wanted to. Loved it! Miss it terribly!

In the Heights just won Best New Musical. Good for them! (Also the source of a creative acceptance speech earlier.... done completely in rap. )

Eek's! You're ahead of me, Broadway. I just saw the performance from South Pacific. And before that, how amazing is Patti Lapone?
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Oh wow... they're actually showing this one on a delay? It just ended here... at 11pm on the dot. I guess I always think of these being live everywhere. Oops!

Hope I haven't ruined anything! Patty LuPone is AMAZING! I cannot believe she's been doing this for over 30 years.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast