+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Tony Awards - 6/15

Re: The Tony Awards - 6/15

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3058592;
    Oh wow... they're actually showing this one on a delay? It just ended here... at 11pm on the dot. I guess I always think of these being live everywhere. Oops!

Hope I haven't ruined anything! Patty LuPone is AMAZING! I cannot believe she's been doing this for over 30 years.
    You haven't ruined a thing for me, Broadway. It's all about the performances for me and the winners are just extra. I won't enjoy it any the less knowing in advance.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Have you seen the In the Heights performance then? Xanadu is coming... and RENT! (can't scream enough for that one. Adam Pascal , Taye Diggs ) And Whoopi was just adorable, I think. I loved her inserting herself into different scenes... loved Phantom, and A Chorus Line, and many others (that my short term memory cannot remember.) I giggled.

And I don't know if you follow country music at all... but she had a fun little play on the Faith Hill/Carrie Underwood scenario in that backstage "oh, I didn't know the cameras were running" section.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I do follow country music a little -- I look for good music in all genres from country to grand opera. I haven't yet seen a lot of the things you mention, just now was something from The LIttle Mermaid. I'm also enjoying Whoopies appearances.

I've been delighting in Broadway theatre lately since I've just found DVD's from the Broadway Theater Archives, some for rent, some for sale. Example, they have the original "Death of a Salesman" with Lee J Cobb. I just got "Pirates of Penzance" with Kevin Kline from the 1980 Shakespear Theatre in Central Park. There are probably around 30 of these gems. The technology wasn't there for great video and sound at that time, but I don't care if I can see some of these classic plays.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I loved the fact that, even though he wasn't able to be there in person, Stephen Sondheim was such a presence. I pretty much worship in his general direction. No one holds a candle to him, IMHO. I was thrilled to see Mandy Patinkin - one of my favorite singers of all time - and loved hearing SS's letter read. I also thought it was a nice touch to show him cheering for Patty when she finished her song, since they shared the stage all those years ago. The production of Sunday in the Park with George looks spectacular and, of course, Gypsy is probably THE ticket right now.

Paulo Szot He's incredible. The NY Times has been singing his praises for the last few months and now I see why. What a voice....what a face... He's dreamy

How many times did they show David Hyde Pierce in the audience tonight? If it had been a drinking game (drink ever time they show him), I would have been lit by the second hour. Not that I don't love him, but please.

Liza may be a bit lush-ious, but she still has great legs.

ETA: Lovely to see all the originals from Rent but I missed Jesse Martin. Plus, is Wilson Jermaine Heredia ill? He looks so gaunt.

Also, I adore Mark Rylance and I was so happy to see him win.
    Last edited by Critical; 06-16-2008 at 02:45 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

I didn't get to see it and from what I read, I missed a lot.

But it sounds great. Love to hear that Gypsy also won a lot.

I have never seen a show on Broadway, but I do get to occasionally get to see some of the traveling shows and love them.

Which song did they do from South Pacific?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD.... I don't know South Pacific that well at all (blasphemy, I know) so I can't tell you the song. It was the one with the sailors singing about "we ain't got dames." Does that help? And I could swear Paulo Szot sang "Some Enchanted Evening", but this morning I can't tell if my foggy brain is just remembering his performance on The View last week.

Florimel.... where do you find those old DVDs? I'd love to find some of the old classic performances, and I've been watching from some of the newer (5-10 yrs) ones to come out in some type of release (those shows that have since closed and aren't touring any longer.)

Critical... David Hyde Pierce was shown a ton, I agree. And Brooke Shields in her front row seat. I am not familiary with Mark Rylance at all. And where do I know Jim Norton from? He looked familiar.

How cute was Kristin Chenoweth, also? I loved when she giggled that they made her read the line about defying gravity. Sometimes her voice makes me shiver, but last night I thought it was cute.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    MRD.... I don't know South Pacific that well at all (blasphemy, I know) so I can't tell you the song. It was the one with the sailors singing about "we ain't got dames."
    I'm a little embarrassed that I know this, but that is "There is Nothing Like a Dame." Nothing like a bunch of pre-pubescent choirboys singing that one.

Broadway, if you google "Broadway Theater Archives," you will find a link that lists all of the plays they have. They can all be purchased there, some are available on Amazon.com and some can be rented at Netflix. I haven't yet checked Blockbuster online.

I think South Pacific, based on the James Michener book, may be the best of the Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals, and that's saying something. The songs they sang last night were "There Is Nothing Like a Dame," "Some Enchanted Evening," and "I'm In Love With a Wonderful Guy." Paulo Szot does make a fantastic Emile de Becque.

Jim Norton has a long resume. He was in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Babylon 5, lots of British TV, and a long list of movies.

Speaking of Harry Potter, I found it great fun to see Harry presenting with his Uncle Vernon.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3059147;
    Critical... David Hyde Pierce was shown a ton, I agree. And Brooke Shields in her front row seat. I am not familiary with Mark Rylance at all. And where do I know Jim Norton from? He looked familiar.
    I figured they were showing "Hollywood" actors like DHP and Brooke so that any watching who was unfamiliar with all the theater people would see someone they recognized. Mark Rylance has done a number of indie films that I loved, including Angels and Insects, which I highly recommend. It's based on a story by A.S. Byatt and also stars Patsy Kensit and Kristin Scott Thomas. Just stunning. His voice just has a certain quality that I love. I could listen to him talk all day. He also did a film called Intimacy that just blew me away.

In case anyone was wondering, Mark Rylance's "speech" was actually a prose poem by Louis Jenkins called The Back Country:
    When you are in town, wearing some kind of uniform is helpful, policeman, priest, etc.. Driving a tank is very impressive, or a car with official lettering on the side. If that isn't to your taste you could join the revolution, wear an armband, carry a homemade flag tied to a broom handle, or a placard bearing an incendiary slogan. At the very least you should wear a suit and carry a briefcase and a cell phone, or wear a team jacket and a baseball cap and carry a cell phone. If you go into the woods, the back country, someplace past all human habitation, it is a good idea to wear orange and carry a gun, or, depending on the season, carry a fishing pole, or a camera with a big lens. Otherwise it might appear that you have no idea what you are doing, that you are merely wandering the earth, no particular reason for being here, no particular place to go.

How cute was Kristin Chenoweth, also? I loved when she giggled that they made her read the line about defying gravity. Sometimes her voice makes me shiver, but last night I thought it was cute.
    I absolutely love Kristin. I got to see her on Broadway in The Apple Tree last year and her voice is spectacular. She was also playing at the Met that same weekend, but we just couldn't afford those tickets.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Oh how I love "South Pacific"! It was the very first musical I ever saw live as a kid and I was so happy to see it receive so many awards!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast