+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Blues

MRD

The Blues

Since we have a thread for Bluegrass, I thought I'd start a thread for the Blues.

I love the Blues and we are going to the 2nd annual Mac Arnold Cornbread and Collards Blues Festival in May.

Arnold played with James Brown and Muddy Waters. He's a local legend around here and I can't wait to go hear some good blues and eat some cornbread and collards.

Mac Arnold

A lot of the rock musicians I like today were definetly influenced by the blues: The Stones, The Allman Brothers, Eric Clapton and on and on.

Anyone else love the blues????
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Re: The Blues

MRD, I'm a fan, although admittedly more of the newer kind than the old acoustic stuff. Still, going to Beale Street last year was fun, and when I went to see Buddy Guy this past fall it was one of the better shows I've ever seen, and I've seen a LOT! I'm dying to see this guy-
    :: Joe Bonamassa:: who I found out about totally by accident. willAnyone up for a road trip ?
    If you go to this site, be sure to let "Bonamassa Tv" on the home page play all the songs, as the first song, while good, doesn't show off his guitar skills. Also click on 'where it all began' on the left side of the page to hear Joe play some hot licks on the guitar and talk about his music. (I'm tempted to travel to one of his shows-up for a road trip?)

When I went to Beale Street I also went "down to the crossroads" in Missisippi, although several claim to be the one' i guess I got it wrong because no-one came to meet me. Still, I was sorry I didn't have time to explore Clarksdale and that area (i.e. drink beer and listen to music)
    Last edited by queenb; 04-22-2008 at 09:46 PM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

I would LOVE to go to Beale street. And I'm always up for a road trip, although I would HAVE to sell my soul at the crossroads to afford the gas for a roadtrip.

Thanks for the heads up on Bonamassa. Going to go check that out.

I really like some of the older blues, like Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, BB King etc.

There is a great documentary called "The Last of the Mississippi Jukes" about a place in Jackson I think that Morgan Freeman has b ought and is restoring, but the documentary has some great blues in it. It runs occasionally on some of the premium stations here.

I've watched that documentary, MRD, it's great. It actually turned me on to a cd series that I love. It's Martin Scorcese presents the Blues. I love to listen to them while I'm cooking. I also love Robert Johnson and of course Stevie Ray Vaughan.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

I love the Blues! A little more partial to older stuff myself, but I love it all. Sang with a band that did a more contemporary repertoire, and while I enjoyed it, I really longed to do the older style. The man in charge was having none of it, however, so I suffered through for a while and finally decided to move on.

Don't consider myself an expert on the subject, though. I'm really just a music lover who loves it all.

Love the Blues... More modern stuff I guess...

I'm a HUGE Eric Clapton fan... Some of my other favorites are BB King, Buddy Guy, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Robert Cray... All of the above I've seen a number of times...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;2940664;
    I've watched that documentary, MRD, it's great. It actually turned me on to a cd series that I love. It's Martin Scorcese presents the Blues. I love to listen to them while I'm cooking. I also love Robert Johnson and of course Stevie Ray Vaughan.
    I was listening to Texas Flood yesterday!

I forgot about Robert Johnson. I'll have to check out that CD series BB, sounds good.

Blues Songstress, I am a music lover that loves it all too, but I find that certain genres I'm more partial too than others and Blues is one of those.

My daughter's boyfriend commented last weekend after hearing a local blues band perform (one of the lyrics was I work hard all day long): "what do they know about working all day, they play in a band". I said: "it's the blues, you got to work hard all day for "the man", your woman done left you, you ain't got no money, you got the BLUES! They can't write about playing guitar all day, that's not the blues!"
    He was about to roll on the ground laughing at me.

ETA: I just had a funny thought. If prozac had been available years and years ago, we wouldn't have blues music.
    Maybe someone could write a blues song about not having the blues because of prozac.

I got the prozac blues.

Sounds like a great name for a blues song.
    Last edited by MRD; 04-24-2008 at 08:41 AM.

Playing in a blues band is hard work! Think of how tough it would be to be around all those people who have the blues all the time. Could give you the blues.

I'm basically a rock/blues person with a lot of singer/songwriter stuff thrown in. But I love singing the blues. Hmmmm.... gotta go and find a new band.

Prozac Blues? Love it!

Speaking of old blues bands, did any of you ever like Savoy Brown or Ten Years After?

Didn't know Savoy Brown as well, but I loved Ten Years After.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast