+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Blues

Re: The Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;2947922;
    Didn't know Savoy Brown as well, but I loved Ten Years After.
    If you get a chance sometime, might I suggest giving a listen to both Street Corner Talking & Hellbound Train by Savoy Brown. These albums were during a period where the band was at the top of their game. I think you'll like them.

Savoy Brown is awesome. Ten Years After, though, doesn't really do a lot for me. To be fair, I've only heard the Woodstock performance, and that really struck me as "HEY I'll flail around wildly on the guitar and I'm sure I'll hit some of the right notes!" Also, he screams like a girl.

Aside from the obvious favorites, (Clapton, B.B. King, Muddy Waters, etc.) some of my favorites are J.B. Lenoir, John Lee Hooker, and Albert King. I suppose those are also pretty obvious, but I feel as though they're often overlooked. Cream would not have existed if not for King's "Born Under a Bad Sign" album.

A newer bluesman that's caught my interest is Seasick Steve. He sometimes plays 3-string and 1-string slide guitars, has a terrific voice, and is a great performer. Definitely a rough aesthetic, but I love the more "primitive" (Delta/country) variety of blues.

MRD

I acutally just heard some ten years after the other day on XM radio. I had forgotten all about them, but I used to listen to them.

I like that everyone is contributing because I'm hearing a lot of names that I've forgotten about poppin up. I'm trying to work on getting more older blues CD's as most of the blues I have is more modern blues that was influenced by the legendary blues greats.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I just heard this girl a couple of days ago on XM 50, The Loft. I'm not sure if you would call it Blues, or Jazz, but it is definitely very intriguing. I like her alot. Her name is Melody Gardot, she is 22, but she takes me back to the 40's & the days of Film Noir chanteuses. Check her out & let me know what you think.

Melody Gardot [dot} com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12