+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Madonna Pulls Music Video Over War Worries

Madonna Pulls Music Video Over War Worries

From Yahoo
    LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Pop star Madonna on Tuesday pulled her controversial new music video, in which she tosses a hand grenade to a President Bush look-alike, from release "out of respect" for U.S. armed forces in Iraq.

The video, produced to accompany her new single "American Life," was issued outside the United States on Monday and had been circulated to American TV outlets such as "Access Hollywood" ahead of its U.S. premiere, which had been slated for Friday on the cable music channel VH-1.

But Madonna, who in the past has outraged many with her mix of frank sexuality and religious symbolism in the video genre she helped popularize 20 years ago, said in a statement she decided to withdraw her 4 1/2-minute video after it became "the subject of rumors and misinformation."

"It was filmed before the war started, and I do not believe it is appropriate to air it at this time," the singer wrote. "Due to the volatile state of the world and out of sensitivity and respect to the armed forces, who I support and pray for, I do not want to risk offending anyone who might misinterpret the meaning of this video."

The accompanying song, which has just been released to radio stations, is the title track and first single from her next album due out April 22 from Warner Bros. Records.

The video has sparked controversy for its graphic war-related imagery, which Madonna said has been misinterpreted by some as being critical of the United States and the Bush administration. Instead, the Michigan-born Material Girl has insisted the production contains a pro-peace message.

The video opens at a fashion show of models strutting a catwalk in haute couture military fatigues, wearing army helmets, gas masks and necklaces of bullets and grenades. It continues with Madonna dressed in a military outfit crashing a camouflaged car into the stage, intercut with images of jets dropping bombs and fiery explosions.

It also contains a scene in which Madonna tosses a grenade to a character who bears a striking resemblance to Bush and who uses it to light his cigar.

"I feel lucky to be an American citizen for many reasons, one of which is the right to express myself freely," Madonna said in a statement posted in February on her Web site (http:/www.madonna.com).

"I am not anti-Bush. I am not pro-Iraq," she said. "I am pro-peace. I have written a song and created a video which expresses my feelings about our culture and values and illusions of what many people believe is the American dream -- the perfect life."

The 44-year-old entertainer added that she hoped the video would provoke "thought and dialogue" and did not expect everyone to agree with her point of view. "I am grateful to have the freedom to express these feelings and that's how I honor my country," she said.

Warner Bros. Records is a unit of media company AOL Time Warner Inc.
    "That's Numberwang!"

OK she is just gross. Anything for another buck. Even to use the war to make more $.
    I cannot tolerate this -woman. Wanted to call her somethin else but, refrained.
    So, where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?
    ~ Christina Aguilera

Leo
    Premium Member

And if, it was "out of respect". then why did she even make a video that she knew would be highly inflammatory? I don't think her response is terribly genuine; she just plain realized that if she did this now, she would be placed alongside the Dixie Chicks, Michael Moore, and Peter Arnett by the court of public opinion.

Insert Funny "Quote" Here nofx242's Avatar
    Now if she was worried that this might be bad for her carreer then why did she make the movie "swept away" I'm sure it cant be as bad as that movie.

FORT Fanatic
    I still think she is awesome. It's not like her to pull one of her videos though; I wish she'd go ahead and release it.

There are a lot of people supporting anti-war celebrities, so I don't think it would bother her to be "placed alongside the Dixie Chicks, et al." Even if no one supported her peace message, I doubt it would bother Madonna much.

Originally posted by Leo

And if, it was "out of respect". then why did she even make a video that she knew would be highly inflammatory? I don't think her response is terribly genuine; she just plain realized that if she did this now, she would be placed alongside the Dixie Chicks, Michael Moore, and Peter Arnett by the court of public opinion.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

FORT Fanatic
    Madonna:
    "It was filmed before the war started, and I do not believe it is appropriate to air it at this time," the singer wrote. "Due to the volatile state of the world and out of sensitivity and respect to the armed forces, who I support and pray for, I do not want to risk offending anyone who might misinterpret the meaning of this video."

I don't see how this attitude can get people all up in arms. Sounds reasonable to me, especially since she filmed it before the war started. It is actually rather restrained for Madonna. She typically does not let other people's opinions bother her at all, which I admire her for. (On the flip side, that's exactly what bothers me about GWB )

Madonna:
    "It was filmed before the war started, and I do not believe it is appropriate to air it at this time," the singer wrote."

I don't believe a thing she says.
    I think she was probably told not to release it.
    She's always been a media whore but, that would have been too much.
    JMO
    So, where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?
    ~ Christina Aguilera

FORT Fanatic
    It's not likely she could have filmed a video and have it ready for release within in the last three weeks. Be realistic. It takes months.

Originally posted by Jill
    It's not likely she could have filmed a video and have it ready for release within in the last three weeks. Be realistic. It takes months.

It does not take months to shoot, edit & air a video. I'm sure it was done before the actual war started, but he Iraq situation has been in the works for months now, so she still would have shot the video while all the Iraq controversy debate was going on. She knew what she was doing when she filmed the video, IMO.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast