+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Music DVD's

  1. #1
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Music DVD's

    CBS Sunday Morning did a review of some new DVD's that are musical performances, etc.

    The two that stood out that I would LOVE to have (probably not for Christmas but hopefully in the new year sometime) were the DVD's of the Johnny Cash TV show that ran for a couple years in the late 60's and early 70's. The guest stars were amazing from what they showed. Everyone from Country to Rock. Dylan, Derek and the Domino's, CCR, and of course George Jones, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, etc. I would LOVE those.

    And the other one was Jazz Icons. 8 DVD's I think. Performances by Coltrane, Dave Brubeck, Sarah Vaughn, Charles Mingus, Duke Ellington.

    The husband and I were both interested in both sets.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  2. #2
    FORT Fogey razorbacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,473

    Re: Music DVD's

    I can remember Neil Young being on that Johnny Cash show.

  3. #3
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Music DVD's

    Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2723721;
    I can remember Neil Young being on that Johnny Cash show.
    That was one of the clips they showed this morning.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  4. #4
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Music DVD's

    My daughter's boyfriend gave me the DVD of "The Last Walz". The last concert of The Band.

    I love this movie/concert documentary so much and I watch it almost everytime it's aired which amazingly is a lot, every month or so. Now I can watch it whenever I want.

    The album recorded from this event is probably one of my very favorites.
    I was extremely excited to get this. What's interesting is he's 26 years younger than I am, but we talk music a LOT and he remembered me saying how much I wanted this and got it for me. He's a very thoughtful young man with wonderful taste in music.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  5. #5
    FORT Fan Brodie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Southeastern MA
    Posts
    294

    Re: Music DVD's

    I love The Last Waltz too! You know that a concert DVD Directed by Martin Scorcese can't go wrong!

    Live Aid is really good if you've never seen it. The funny thing is I remember watching it 20 years ago when it was on TV and the stuff I didn't like back then is blowing me away today... I probably considered Queen a "has been" back then and might have said something to the effect of "These guys suck, when are they going to get to the headliners...." It's probably one of the best performances on the whole box set...

    Another I really enjoy in DVD form is Eric Clapton... Live in Hyde Park is really good! While I was just looking for the name of that one I saw two or three more that I love...

    Fleetwood Mac The Dance is awesome...

    Stevie Ray Vaughn... I've got a couple of his....

    The Grateful Dead... I've got a number of their DVDs too... Really good if you're in to them...

    The Concert for George (George Harrison Memorial) concert is really good. Eric Clapton and Paul McCartney signing together on "Something" will make you cry!
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

  6. #6
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Music DVD's

    Quote Originally Posted by Brodie;2737745;
    I love The Last Waltz too! You know that a concert DVD Directed by Martin Scorcese can't go wrong!

    Live Aid is really good if you've never seen it. The funny thing is I remember watching it 20 years ago when it was on TV and the stuff I didn't like back then is blowing me away today... I probably considered Queen a "has been" back then and might have said something to the effect of "These guys suck, when are they going to get to the headliners...." It's probably one of the best performances on the whole box set...

    Another I really enjoy in DVD form is Eric Clapton... Live in Hyde Park is really good! While I was just looking for the name of that one I saw two or three more that I love...

    Fleetwood Mac The Dance is awesome...

    Stevie Ray Vaughn... I've got a couple of his....

    The Grateful Dead... I've got a number of their DVDs too... Really good if you're in to them...

    The Concert for George (George Harrison Memorial) concert is really good. Eric Clapton and Paul McCartney signing together on "Something" will make you cry!

    I'd love to have the Concert for George.

    FUnny but I have the original VHS tapes I made of Live Aid and while the quality isn't great, I still love watching them. I LOVED it back when and love it today. I have always loved Queen. My husband hates watching them as he was not into the 80's bands like I was. STill I'd like to have the box set. I bet its great. I remember watching it live and just being in HEAVEN. It was MY generations version of Woodstock.

    I would love to have other music DVD's, but they are usually so expensive.

    But the last waltz is definetly my favorite.

    I try to catch a lot of rock movies and stuff on the premium channels (Just saw Tommy on Sun) or on VH1. My daughter's bf knows I watch a lot of stuff like this and he's really into music (he's a musician) and he and I talk a lot about music and I was touched he remembered about the Last Waltz.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  7. #7
    FORT Fogey razorbacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,473

    Re: Music DVD's

    I recently watched the Doobie Brothers at Wolf Trap. They were always one of my favorite bands & this is a goodun.

  8. #8
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Music DVD's

    Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2740175;
    I recently watched the Doobie Brothers at Wolf Trap. They were always one of my favorite bands & this is a goodun.
    I would like to see that. Have always loved the Doobie Brothers.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.