+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: CMA Awards 11/7 on ABC

CMA Awards 11/7 on ABC

We usually have a few FORTers watching this show. It appears Nashville is gearing up for a big week leading up to the show on Wednesday. They have already closed some of the streets around the Sommet Center getting set up. Here's an article from The Tennessean about those activities.
    Monday, 11/05/07
    CMA celebrations start 2 days before main event
    'Good Morning America,' free concerts among advance offerings

By CINDY WATTS
    Staff Writer

Nashville is putting its party hat on a little early in anticipation of country music's biggest night.

The 41st annual CMA awards show is scheduled for
    7 p.m. Wednesday at Sommet Center and will be broadcast live on ABC. In anticipation, Nashville Celebrates Country — three days of country music events leading up to the awards — kicks off today. There will be free concerts by Phil Vassar and Emerson Drive, personal appearances by Vince Gill, Barbara Mandrell and Ronnie McDowell, a top-notch songwriter's night, showcases and a live television broadcast featuring Big & Rich from downtown Nashville during Good Morning America on Wednesday.

The Country Music Association started hosting extra events during the CMA Awards' brief sojourn to New York City in 2005. When the ceremony returned to Music City, the association decided to make the week a tradition.

"The week of activities was very successful," said Scott Stem, director of media relations at the Country Music Association. "When we returned to Nashville in 2006, the City of Nashville asked that we move the CMA Awards downtown." The awards were formerly held at the Grand Ole Opry House. "By moving, the awards (show) was now located in the heart of the Nashville entertainment district, and it opened up many possibilities, including creating events for all to enjoy around the awards in Nashville."

Concert clicks at City Hall

This year Stem predicts highlights will include the "Music on the Horizon" concert, which takes place tonight at City Hall and will showcase rising artists such as Jennifer Hanson, Lady Antebellum, Chuck Wicks and Crossin Dixon. Stem also said Tuesday's free Chevy Music Tour concert with Phil Vassar and Emerson Drive is sure to be a memorable evening.

Vassar said he's looking forward to the performance. He plans to play his new single, "Love Is a Beautiful Thing," as well as hit songs such as "Carlene" and "Last Day of My Life."

"I get to play in town," he said. "It's rare, and there's so many people in Nashville from out of town. There's just so much energy, and I'll play whatever they want. I'll play until they tell me stop."

Stem underscored the importance of Good Morning America's involvement in 2007's Nashville Celebrates Country festivities.

"Having GMA spotlight the CMA Awards is basically saying, 'Hey, viewers, this is something we find important and we think you will as well,' " he said. "It's great for the CMA Awards, it's great for country music and it's great for Nashville. Having live national television focus on such a positive event happening in our city invites tourism and business growth for Nashville, in addition to stirring up excitement for the awards."

And Stem said country music fans should take advantage of the events while they have the chance because there's no guarantee the opportunities will be back on an annual basis.

"It always depends on schedules," he said. "But, it is something we enjoy doing and it helps build excitement for the awards."

Re: CMA Awards 11/7 on ABC

You know I'll be watching Unk. Looking forward to it very much.

This year Stem predicts highlights will include the "Music on the Horizon" concert, which takes place tonight at City Hall and will showcase rising artists such as Jennifer Hanson, Lady Antebellum, Chuck Wicks and Crossin Dixon.

All of the above new artists are very good & I hope they get some traction on the radio. I hear them on XM but never commercial radio. Jennifer Hanson has a new song called Joy Ride that is very good, but it made no headway at all. She is the writer for Bucky Covingtons first hit A Different World, & she also wrote Leave the Pieces for the Wreckers.

The Tennessean has a bunch of articles on the event.
    Nashville, Tennessee - Entertainment_Music-CMA_Awards - Tennessean.com

Miranda Lambert is one helluva performer IMO and I love this song.
    ETA Before He Cheats (Carrie Underwood) is Single of The Year.
    Last edited by Unklescott; 11-07-2007 at 08:11 PM.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

to Carrie for single of the year....

I have a love/hate relationship with Miranda Lambert and I don't really know how to explain it....I know that I definitely like her more than Taylor Swift...
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

How about Ms. Carrie. Before He Cheats wins. By the way it has now been on the charts for 62 weeks. The 3rd longest run in history.

Love Miranda Lambert by too.

What can you say about George Strait? The guy is great.
    Song of The Year - Give It Away
    ETA Kid Rock was there with Gretchen Wilson? Last time he was in Nashville he got arrested for a fight at a strip joint.
    I like Taylor Swift too.
    Last edited by Unklescott; 11-07-2007 at 08:24 PM.

I like George Strait, but to be honest that isn't my favorite song of his. I was very surprised that Martina didn't win.

Taylor Swift is adorable, but you can tell they really have to work on her voice in the studio. Girl can't sing live.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I.do.not.like.Taylor.Swift.
    She's a cute girl but she can't sing worth a crap!

Didn't care for George's song either....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2655091;
    Girl can't sing live.
    Much like Sara Evans. But I still like both of them.
    I've seen Alison Krauss live several times. The woman has a voice like an angel.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast