+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Re: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3018826;
    Razor, I'm interested in this article. Can you tell me who wrote it? I'm going to try to google it. I googled "RS issue 27" and only found old back issues for sale. If I had the writer's name I figure I might have better luck finding the article online. Or PM me if you'd prefer. Thanks.
    I will have to check the dvd & let you know. It was a really long article & may have had multiple authors. As I said, I skipped it...it just seemed to go on & on.. Give me a couple of days though, I'm working all weekend.

MRD

I didn't abandon you, I just got busy and missed certain threads for a while.

Duane was awesome. I have 2 vinyl anthology albums of his which I haven't listened to in ages, but which had some powerful music of his on it.

I've ALWAYS loved The Allman Brother's Band. I have almost all of their albums, boxed sets both in vinyl and CD and I've seen them in concert (minus Duane unfortunately) more than any other artist or band.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3018889;
    I will have to check the dvd & let you know. It was a really long article & may have had multiple authors. As I said, I skipped it...it just seemed to go on & on.. Give me a couple of days though, I'm working all weekend.
    Thank you so much, Razor, I appreciate your effort.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Hey AJane here is the info on the groupies article you wanted. The article was written by Karen Seltenreich, & there are a bunch of accompanying photos by Baron Wolman. He was the official RS photographer at the time. I hope you can find what you’re looking for. I would copy it & send it to you, but the DVD’s don’t allow for that.

Thanks Razor! I'm going to have to do some digging on Karen Seltenreich but I easily found Baron Wolman's webpage. He actually has a whole series of pics titled "Groupies" and as some are dated November 1968, I'm betting those are the ones from your article. He also did the cover for #27. Fascinating stuff. He also has a ton of classic rock series, a Rolling Stone covers series, and a couple of more recent series (Audioslave). Anyone who's interested, go to Baron Wolman Photography.
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

That's a great website for anyone interested in some classic rock photos. Talk about seeing the History of Rock through a view finder. He has some incredible shots. And, yes, those are some of his groupie photos from the article.

Rolling Stone Issue 29

Dated March 15, 1969. Janis Joplin on the cover.

Bob Dylan has completed his next album, recorded in Nashville over the course of three sessions in February. The album is produced by Bob Johnson who has produced Dylan’s past 3 albums & includes most of the musicians that played on Nashville Skyline. There is a new guy mentioned that plays dobro, gut string acoustic guitar & Fender Electric Guitar. This person is called “a fine song writer who you will be hearing more about in the future.” The persons name? Charlie Daniels.

The title of the Article about Janis Joplin is Janis, The Judy Garland of Rock & Roll. This article is being written about the opening night of her first tour as an artist without Big Brother & the show is at Bill Graham‘s Fillmore East. Most of the tickets have gone to the main stream press while the rock press have been left out in the cold. The Grateful Dead opened the show with an hour long jam on Good Morning Little School Girl & then left the stage.
    Here is what was written about Janis….”The first song made a number of things both painfully & delightfully clear. The potential to become a genuinely great rock singer is still there, but so are the infamous & disheartening Joplin tendencies toward overkill. Indeed, Janis doesn’t so much as sing a song as to strangle it to death right in front of you. It’s an exciting, albeit grissly event to behold. But it would seem to belong more in the realm of carnival exhibition than musical performance.” And that’s one of the kinder things as this show is brutalized from the critics pen. Even some of her biggest fans when interviewed after the show were not so kind naming her Ms. Superstar & her group & calling them burlesque.

Don Kirschner creator of the Archies & The Monkees is introducing his newest put together act. They are called Tomorrow. The band includes Karl Chambers, ex drummer for Gladys Knight, Vic Cooper one time piano player for Tom Jones, Ben Thomas a Georgia born guitar player, & a fresh new female vocalist by the name of Olivia Newton John. I can find no evidence that this band ever recorded anything.

Jazz guitarist Gabor Szabo was recently mugged, stabbed, & just avoided being shot, while walking home after a gig in San Francisco.

Bizarre Records, Frank Zappas’ new label “Just what the world needs, another record company“, is busy signing other acts including Captain Beefheart, The GTO’S, & Alice Cooper who is referred to as a “gentleman” lest anyone think he is female based on the name.

Rod Stewart has signed with Mercury Records. Meanwhile the Jeff Beck group is down to only Stewart, Jeff Beck & pianist Nicky Hopkins after bassist Ron Wood & drummer Mickey Waller were fired on the eve of the bands first US concert tour.

John McLaughlin is recording a Jazz Fusion record in NY & is rapidly becoming known, amongst other musicians, as a legend in his own time.

Linda Eastman is fanning the rumors that nuptials are pending between her & Paul.

One of the great Western Movie sidekicks of all time, Gabby Hayes, is dead at the age of 83.

There is a long, 6 pg. article on the Roller Derby & it’s allure.

The Rolling Stone, once upon a time, gave some space to Country Music. Now they just ignore it totally. This issue contains an article on Flatt & Scruggs. It is a nice article & compliments the duo on the musicianship & commercial viability, while still maintaining exactly who they have always been.

Album Reviews:

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
    The latest of the British blues groups offers little that it’s twin, the Jeff Beck Group, didn’t say as well or better three months ago. Jimmy Page is a proficient blues guitarist, unfortunately, he is also a very limited writer & producer. The album suffers from his production, & writing most of the songs. Babe I’m Gonna Leave You alternates between prissy Robert Plant’s howled vocals fronting an acoustic guitar & driving choruses of the band running down a 4 chord progression while John Bonham smashes his cymbals on every beat. The song is very dull in places, very redundant, & certainly not worth the 61/2 minutes the Zeppelin gives it.
    Robert Plants’ vocals are called strained & unconvincing & he may be as foppish as Rod Stewart, but he is no where near as exciting.
    It would seem that if they are here to help fill the void left by the demise of Cream they will have to find a producer & some material worthy of their collective attention.

The Family That Plays Together - Spirit
    The group has matured since their first album, they play with a lot more confidence & are a lot less likely to be so cerebral. And Jay Ferguson has become a first class vocalist. Randy California makes a much more substantial contribution this time around. They always manage to be beautiful without being plastic, & strong without being ugly. The album should go a long way in reestablishing the relevance of producer Lou Adler as well.

Curious ads for groups or albums this issue:

James Taylor’s first album is give the big treatment. Back when he had hair, lot’s of hair.

Two weeks later & it still looks black for the album of the year. Good grief!! Warner Bros. Records is still upset over the Van Dyke Parks album that no one bought. So to fight the good fight they are offering to send you 2 copies of the album for only 1 penny. All you have to do is promise to pass the other copy along to a friend.

Kim Fowley is the ultimate underground animal, is the revolution, is a fourth dimensional force, Kim Fowley is outrageous….Who Knew?

Wow, the author of the Janis Joplin article isn't very original in his/her comments. Janis cultivated a burlesque image, it's an odd thing about her persona and performance to denigrate. And no, her vocal style isn't to everyone's taste, but she was never really a "rock" singer. Her idols were bluesmen/women.

Robert Plant, "foppish"?

MRD

Great stuff, I love reading about the "new" musicians on the scene. Charlie Daniels was the very first concert I ever went too.

And I listened to Flatt and Scruggs because my mom listened to them. I still listen to them.

And interestingly enough, the bad review of Led Zepplin was just a laugh. They went on to become so huge and RS pretty much panned their first album.

Great stuff, keep it coming.

Also I was a HUGE roller derby fan when I was a kid. We saw something recently on tv about roller derby and was trying to explain it to my 17 year old daughter who did not get it at all.
    But back when we only had 3 tv channels, Roller Derby was up against bowling and wrestling on Sat. afternoons, so I watched roller derby, it was a lot more fun.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

One of the very weirdest concert pairings I ever saw was Charlie Daniels opening for Eric Clapton. This was during Clapton's Hello Old Friend tour & both guys were great & put on a fine show, but it was just a jarring contrast in styles.

I can say that I wasn't a big big fan of the first LZ album, but I probably wouldn't have been quite that harsh. I guess every band has to learn what their style is going to be & get better or die. LZ definitely didn't die.

I remember watching the LA Thunderbirds with "Little Ralphie Valadares" on KTLA channel 5 & for those of you that grew up in that era in that area you'll remember listening to "Woe Nelly Dick Lane" do the announcing. He also did wrestling for LA.

I'll definitely keep the updates coming as time allows, but this will be the last one for at least a couple of weeks, as I'm off to Nashville for CMA Music Fest all next week.

Rock on ya'll

PS: Did anyone else ever see or hear anything about that "new group" with Olivia Newton John? It was the first I ever heard of it.
    Last edited by razorbacker; 05-29-2008 at 03:56 PM.

+ Reply to Thread