+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

MRD

Re: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2800919;
    White Bird was a great song, but it never made it to the Top 40, so the band couldn't even be classified as a one hit wonder. I guess us older heads are the only ones hip to the truly great music.

I'm glad you are enjoying these trips back through time to the music scene as it was being reported back then. I know I'm getting a kick out of it.

I must say though that I am really surprised at how disrespected The Doors were back then. Everyone from the press, to other artists, to some of the fan letters are just not at all receptive to the band & especially Jim Morrison.
    I was too because they did become fairly big even BEFORE Morrison died, but right now in the RSHP they aren't getting much good stuff said about them.

I have laughed at some of the other groups that didn't get good album reviews or good press and those groups and albums are now considered "rock classics". Just shows you what 30 or 40 years can do.

Thanks for posting these. I have really enjoyed it very much.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Rolling Stone Issue 21

Dated November 9, 1968. Drugs in the Army (A Special Report) on the cover.

I’ll just quote two of the opening paragraphs & you can see where this article is going:

“The armed forces have changed radically in the last 4 years. The raising of draft quotas & the tightening of deferment & exemption loopholes has made for a different military, with a higher proportion of men who would otherwise be in college, and a far greater number of men of one generation drafted into the service.

Briefly put, there is a flowering of Rock & Roll & Dope among the unwilling soldiers of today . It is all together out of hand. It already involves so many men that the brass can’t even begin to crack down on it.”
    I’m thinking that it’s only going to get worse.

Here is one persons take on the drug situation in The Nam…” Grass is plentiful & cheap. LSD comes from the states. Occasionally we have Afghani & Pakistani hash & sometimes meth. Opium is plentiful. We take or smoke anything we can. I am stoned 50% of the time. War, what war?”

There is an interesting section of interviews with soldiers where they talk about Armed Forces Radio & the lack of Rock & Roll being played. This person fstationed in the Phillipines just sums up what everyone else is saying, but he does it so much better:

“ AFRTS is the worlds sh***iest,, small-town, old-woman, right wing, plastic, useless, propagandizing, bummer unturned-on, controlled, low fidelity, non stereo, in short it is just what you would expect.” It is said that as to Rock music, “the juke boxes in the whorehouses of Da Nang are more up to date than AFRTS.

News of Note:

Rumors are circulating that The Beatles will be doing a Live show for an invited audience of 500. The show will be filmed for later television airing.
    The new album by the lads has yet to be named, but they want something simple, after the long name of Sgt. Pepper, they may even just go with The Beatles. Hey, I think they may be on to something.

How’s this for out of the box…The former manager of the Kingston Trio has been arrested for possession of 400 pounds of pot, an undisclosed amount of hashish, & 1,000’s of hits of LSD. Hang down your head Tom Dooley…

For the second & last time Dave Mason has left Traffic. It is reported that despite being a fine writer & guitar player, the guy is almost impossible to work with.

MOTOWN has filed a $4 million lawsuit against the writing/producing team of Holland Dozier Holland for failing to honor their writing & producing agreement with the company since 1967.

John & Michele Phillips & Denny Doherty, but not Cass Elliot, are being sued for $200,000 by Dunhill records. The label says the group still owes them a record, but since Cass left, the group isn’t going to fulfill that obligation. Cass isn’t included in the suit because she has just done her first solo album for the label.

The Spencer Davis Group is splitting up leaving only Spencer himself out of the original group.

This issue includes a brief profile of Richard Penniman, otherwise known as Little Richard. The article states that just a few of the recent & current artists influenced by him were Elvis, Paul McCartney & Otis Redding. Otis & Richard both grew up in Macon Ga. & Richard was always an idol of Otis’. There seems to be a renewed interest in his music lately & his old label “Speciality” has gone back into business & even re-mastered his old songs for a Greatest Hits package in stereo.

Album Reviews:

Electric Ladyland - Jimi Hendrix Experience
    First off I can’t believe some of the stuff they used to get away with putting into print back in those days, so having said that here is the way this review ends: “ Hendrix, psychedelic super spade or just a damn fine musician/producer? Depends on whether you want to believe the image or your ears. (And if you wanna flow , dig this on earphones, & watch the guitar swoop back & forth through your head). Hendrix is amazing, & I hope he gets to the moon first. If he keeps going the way he does here, he will.

Getting to the Point - Savoy Brown
    Savoy Brown is one of the new British Blues bands that includes Fleetwood Mac & Ten Years After. Savoy Brown can be described as having a ‘loose togetherness” reflective of how the blues happened in the late 1950’s. The band does not come on with complex technical artistry & does not attempt to overplay it’s music. It’s strength lies in the group dynamics & rapport. They act like they enjoy every bit of what they play & much more is to be expected of them as they mature as a group. On a personal note, I really liked this band, the years to come would bring us Hellbound Train & Street Corner Talkin which were both very fine albums.

Magic Bus - The Who (on tour)
    Evidently this album was rushed out to keep the bands name in the public eye while they are working on their Deaf Dumb & Blind Boy album. The Who are the spirit of Rock & Roll & because of that even Deccas’ clap trap collection is worth buying for Magic Bus, & Pictures of Lilly. But maybe we all ought to be writing angry letters, The Who deserve better & so do we.

MRD

Interesting side note on Drugs in the Army. My husband served in the Army from 1980 to 1984 and he says that drugs were everywhere. The most coveted assignment was being sent to Panama where cocaine was plentiful and cheap. He said even then, guys were going on maneuvers tripping on acid. He told me that on one parachute jump they made, half of his plane was tripping. He also said that he saw guys coming back from Panama with kilos of coke in the pockets of their uniform pants.
    At that time, they were testing only for marijuana so no one smoked, they just did other drugs.

And there have been volumes written on the proliferation of drugs in Vietnam.

MRD,

I knew a guy that was Navy Seals in Nam. He told stories of he & his buddies taking one of the metal foot lockers, painting it completely black so it wouldn't shine at night, & swiming with it up river to a patch of pot plants that they found. They would pull the plants, load the locker, & swim back down the river much to the delight of his fellow soldiers. This guy eventually got his knee blown off, became addicted to the drugs & pain killers he was given, & committed suicide a few years later. There are tons of these types of sad stories revolving around Viet Nam & the guys that served there. I had a cousin that was a Navy Medic. One day during a rescue mission the helicopter he was in was shot down & he was killed. Before anyone was officially informed of it, we actually saw it n NBC Nightly news one night during dinner.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2816540;
    MRD,

I knew a guy that was Navy Seals in Nam. He told stories of he & his buddies taking one of the metal foot lockers, painting it completely black so it wouldn't shine at night, & swiming with it up river to a patch of pot plants that they found. They would pull the plants, load the locker, & swim back down the river much to the delight of his fellow soldiers. This guy eventually got his knee blown off, became addicted to the drugs & pain killers he was given, & committed suicide a few years later. There are tons of these types of sad stories revolving around Viet Nam & the guys that served there. I had a cousin that was a Navy Medic. One day during a rescue mission the helicopter he was in was shot down & he was killed. Before anyone was officially informed of it, we actually saw it n NBC Nightly news one night during dinner.
    My brother served in Thailand during the Vietnam war. He has had a very long and sad history with drugs that started during that time and persists to this day.
    The preponderance of drugs and the situation these guys were in is indeed a very sad chapter of our history.

That is a horrible way to find out about your cousin Razorbacker. I'm so sorry.

I do find that people today are just amazed that our military was doing drugs during that time, but it was a lot more prevalent during the 60's, 70's and early 80's than a lot of people realize. And a lot of factors play into that. The draft, an unpopular and hard to fight war, the culture of the times and the availability of drugs especially overseas. Sad.

Rolling Stone Issue 22

Dated November 23, 1968. A Naked John & Yoko on the cover.

Rolling Stone is proud to announce that the magazine is now 1 year old!!

There is a long & detailed article on the breakup of Cream & all that entails. There are many stories of clashing egos or about how the 3 guys just didn’t like each other on a personal basis & would not even come into contact for months on end until it was time to either record or practice for the next & final tour.
    One of the interesting things the article brings out are future plans for the guys. For example Jack Bruce has already cut a new album with a guitarist that he calls the best axe player in the world. He says it’s tough to describe what or how this guy plays, you just have to see & hear him. The players name? John McLaughlin!
    Clapton states his next work will not be with a band, but he will instead hire musicians to suit the particular song being recorded.
    Ginger Baker has no idea where his career is headed except he states flat out he will be steering clear of Jazz.

October 18 the police busted into the flat of John & his then girlfriend Yoko Ono & busted them for pot, hauling them off to jail only to release them a few hours later. Yoko has just announced her pregnancy, the two plan on marrying soon & divorce proceedings are under way for John & Cynthia.

Ringo has just signed to star in his second non Beatles film, The Magic Christian with Peter Sellers.

As reported recently Cass Elliot has opened her Las Vegas act, to the expensive tune of $80,000, only to fold after 1 night. The reception was luke warm at best & didn’t even warrant an encore. Even with the rest of the Mama's & Papa's in the audience along with Jimi Hendrix.

Rumors are floating that the next album by the Grateful Dead will be without Bob Weir & Pigpen. Seems as though the group is breaking up one minute & back together the next.

A&M Records has just signed the American rights to Joe Cocker & Long John Baldry. Cocker’s next single is scheduled to be “With a Little Help from My Friends.”

As of October the Yardbirds no longer exist. The band has adapted a new name. They will now be known as Led Zepplin. I reckon only time will tell if they’ll be any good or not.

Here is an interesting tidbit. A recent recording session by Manfred Mann had to be cancelled because one of Manfred’s teeth kept coming unscrewed & falling out.

Outside Graceland in Memphis, Elvis has erected a sign touting “Wallace for President.”

MOTOWN had recently sued David Ruffin & his manager for breach of contract, because the manager was trying to get Ruffin to leave MOTOWN. The judged sided with MOTOWN stating that the contract was fair, in that Ruffin had earned only $6,000 before he joined the company & was now worth much more.

There is a new singer in England, 19 year old Terry Reid. Aretha Franklin & many others have termed him the next big thing to come from across the pond. He had a minimal career recording just a few very sub par records. His main claim to fame would have to be that he wanted to lead his own band & so he turned down the lead singer slot for The New Yardbirds. This slot would eventually go to Robert Plant, the band would become Led Zepplin & the rest is history. With Terry Reid on the outside looking in.

The review this time around is with John Lennon:
    He comments that he actually hated his song It’s Only Love because of the “abominable” lyrics. He also hated Run For Your Life, weird I liked both of those songs.
    He wrote Strawberry Fields while sitting on a beach in Spain during the filming of How I Won the War.
    When asked if there are any covers of his songs he likes he chooses Yesterday by Ray Charles & Day Tripper by Jose Feliciano.
    He talks about listening to the old albums & being a bit embarrassed about them, because they knew who they wanted to be as a band but just didn’t have the know how to get there. He feels that they are now where they have always wanted to be. Rubber Soul was the turning point for the band, where they really began to hit their groove.

Album Reviews:

The Second - Steppenwolf
    The second album by many other groups transforms a ‘promising new group” into a “flash in the pan has been.” That doesn’t seem to be the case with Steppenwolf however. They have proven to be a very strong group with it’s own musical identity. Magic Carpet Ride is held up as an example of what the band does right by using shifting tempos & rhythmic levels. Don’t Step on the Grass Sam, is called a very good dope song, as far as dope songs go.

Look Inside the Asylum Choir - The Asylum Choir
    This album was written & produced by Marc Benno & Leon Russell & apparently they also played all the instruments on the album. The music is good times rock, similar to what Spoonful used to be. There are some of Dylan’s country influences as well.

Sailor - The Steve Miller Band
    This album is called a very successful follow up to the bands first album. Although the first album had a blues feel to it, this one is strictly Rock & Roll. The biggest hit to come from the album is Living in the U.S.A., which the critic says is a good song with weak lyrics. However, he does like the line at the end of the song where Steve yells out “Somebody get me a cheeseburger.” The Miller band is really together & it shows. Unfortunately they are in the midst of breaking up at the time of this review as Boz Scaggs exits stage left.

MRD

It's interesting how new groups form and someone gets offered a shot and doesn't take it (Terry Reid). But then you wonder would Led Zepplin have been as successful without Robert Plant?

Also am a huge fan of Boz Scaggs solo work, so him leaving The Steve Miller Band was a good move for him and it didn't affect SMB that much, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2832968;
    It's interesting how new groups form and someone gets offered a shot and doesn't take it (Terry Reid). But then you wonder would Led Zepplin have been as successful without Robert Plant?

Also am a huge fan of Boz Scaggs solo work, so him leaving The Steve Miller Band was a good move for him and it didn't affect SMB that much, in my opinion.
    Did you ever hear the Boz Scaggs album where he is standing on the street in SF on that slanted road. On the album Duane Allman plays slide guitar & Boz sings, Somebody Loan Me A Dime? Astounding album & so much different from the Lido Boz Scaggs of later years.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2832995;
    Did you ever hear the Boz Scaggs album where he is standing on the street in SF on that slanted road. On the album Duane Allman plays slide guitar & Boz sings, Somebody Loan Me A Dime? Astounding album & so much different from the Lido Boz Scaggs of later years.
    No, but I'm going to try to find it now. I LOVE Duane Allman and actually have some rare recordings of his.
    But I bet the two together are awesome!

Actually Lido is my least favorite song of his. I do like Harbor Lights and Georgia better than the Lido Shuffle. Oh and We're All Alone.
    Middle Man wasn't a bad album either.

I did look that one up and it was a self-titled release that came out in 1969.
    I think I'm going to try to get if off Amazon.
    Last edited by MRD; 03-10-2008 at 02:03 PM.

Rolling Stone Issue 23

Dated December 7, 1968. Doug Sahm on the cover.

A “reliable” source close to The Beatles is reporting that the band may do as many as 12 free concerts in the US next Summer as a thank you to the American fans for all their support. I foresee someone losing that “reliable source” designation.

Last Issues cover photo of John & Yoko posing nude has caused some consternation to say the least. San Francisco Police arrested a street vendor on obscenity charges when they saw the Issue on his stand., but the judges told them to drop the case & they did. Postal officials in NJ refused to deliver it, the Boston distributor refused to send it to newsstands, however, NYC, LA & SF sold out completely & had to reorder more.
    Jann Wenner had this to say, “ Print a famous foreskin & the world will beat a path to your door.”

Live at Folsom Prison has just become the third album by Johnny Cash to be certified as Gold.

The Cass Elliot debacle in Las Vegas was blamed in large part to a bout of tonsillitis that prevented her from singing well. Turns out doctors have determined it is hepatitis.

Quicksilver Messenger Service has decided to either disband or completely retool. The last appearance by the band in this manifestation will be New Years Eve at Bill Grahams bash.

All of the original members of The Byrds with the exception of Roger McGuinn have now left the band. Gram Parsons & Chris Hillman have left to form The Flying Burrito Brothers.

Mick Jagger has finally decided it has been a huge waste of his time & energy to get the label to release his album with the cover of bathroom graffiti. Beggars Banquet will be released imminently without the controversial cover.

Jimi Hendrix is announcing the dissolution of The Experience, except for some special occasions.

In a year that saw the music industry surpass the billion dollar mark for the first time, MGM actually had the distinction of losing $4 million, largely due to their bad bet on everyone loving the Boston Sound they were trying to break.

David Peel & the Lower East Side
    have released Have a Marijuana, recorded live on the streets of NYC. Much of the radio station universe is refusing to play the song, but it would still become a cult classic.

There is an article in this issue about Joan Baez. She has taken the step of so many others recently,(Bob Dylan & the Byrds for example) & decided to go to Nashville to record her next album. Here is an interesting story she tells about the process & the Nashville musicians she worked with:
    “I’d sit down & say the song goes like this, & this cat named Grady Martin who’s the grand old man of Country Music - everybody calls him chief- would point his guitar at the boys …they’re all poker faced for the first few days I didn’t know what they were thinking - bored stiff or what - & he’d drawl, Y’all take a turn round thar & take a lil riff & then some fiddling that OK with you sweetheart. OK Ladies & gentlemen let’s begin.”
    “It was exceptionally OK.”
    She recalled several times where the fiddle playing was so beautiful & so lonesome that she woud stop in the middle of a song & cry.
    This album would be called Any Day Now & was a complete album of Dylan Covers:
    Love Minus Zero, No Limit (B. Dylan)
    North Country Blues (B. Dylan)
    You Ain't Goin' Nowhere (B. Dylan)
    Drifter's Escape (B. Dylan)
    I Pity The Poor Immigrant (B. Dylan)
    Tears Of Rage (B. Dylan, R. Manuel)
    Sad-Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands (B. Dylan)
    Love Is Just A Four-Letter Word (B. Dylan)
    I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine (B. Dylan)
    The Walls Of Redwing (B. Dylan)
    Dear Landlord (B. Dylan)
    One Too Many Mornings (B. Dylan)
    I Shall Be Released (B. Dylan)
    Boots Of Spanish Leather (B. Dylan)
    Walkin' Down The Line (B. Dylan)
    Restless Farewell (B. Dylan)

The next article is all about Texas musicians. Doug Sahm (Sir Douglas of the Sir Douglas Quintet) says he learned to play guitar sitting in a field outside a local honky tonk when he was 11 & to young to get in. He would listen to the likes of Junior Parker, Little Willie John, & T Bone Walker, & pick it all up by hearing & not watching.

Here is an interesting take on how Steve Miller learned. While growing up in Texas, Steve’s dad was the personal physician to T Bone Walker. Sometimes T Bone didn’t have the money to pay for the services so he would pay back by playing at Dr. Millers parties. Steve would sit at his feet & take it all in, learning everything he could.

One of the hottest musicians from Texas that has yet to leave the state is a 130 pound, cross eyed, albino with long fleecy hair playing some of the gutsiest blues you have ever heard…Johnny Winter. Johnny is now 23 years old but at the ripe old age of 16 Mike Bloomfield referred to him as the best white blues guitarist he had ever heard.

The rock scene in Texas is called limited with only Jerry Jeff Walker (Mr. Bojangles) making any kind of national headway. At the time of this article, singer songwriters such as Townes Van Zandt & Guy Clark have not been recognized outside of Texas.

All of the musicians that were quoted in this article had basically the same sentiment…If you want to make it in Texas, you have to leave Texas.

I love the ads in these issues. There are always full page ads for the next big album or band & I’ll be honest & say I have never heard of some of this stuff. For example how many of you ever heard of :

A guy named Leonard Schaeffer or his album Leonard Schaefer A Boy & His Dog
    A Band called Chicken Shack
    Or the band Elmer Gantry’s Velvet Opera
    How about Dick Dood or his album First Evolution of Dick Dood

I’m going to have to remember to include more of these in the future. Maybe someone will have some knowledge & insights.

Album Reviews:

Shine On Brightly - Procol Harum
    The band & album begs comparison stylistically to The Band & Music from Big Pink, but “it must be admitted that PH suffers in this comparison.” Vocalist Gary Brooker cannot match Richard Manuel, & guitarist Robin Trower can’t begin to touch Robbie Robertson. Shine on Brightly is not the albumm one would have wanted as a follow to their first album. The album shows very little growth from the band.

A Hard Roll - John Mayall’s Blues Breakers
    “This album has some great blues for blues freaks whether you happen to prefer blues played by whites, blacks, or homosexual Chinese emigrants to the Arabian desert. The music comes first & it’s close to earthshaking here.” It is noted that Peter Green stands out on this album almost as much as Mayall does due to his very relaxed interpretational style. He comes across great on this album, but they call his current band despicable…that would be Fleetwood Mac.

Strictly Personal - Captain Beefheart’s Magic Band
    The only white voice that has come close to capturing what Charley Patton & Son House are all about, Captain Beefheart has gathered some superb musicians, very heavy & with much Delta feeling. Therefore, he has, one would suppose, the capability of making the superb white blues album.” “He has not!” “The album falls into dull commercial rock on the order of noisy, discombobulated freakout sh**.”

Days of Future Passed In Search of the Lost Chord - The Moody Blues
    The Moody’s have matured greatly since the days of Go Now, but their music is constantly marred by one of the most startlingly saccharine conceptions of “beauty” & “mysticism” that any rock group has ever effected. On Days for example the band “ claims to have expanded the range of pop music, but this is pure nonsense.” The only song on the album the reviewer really has a good word for is Tuesday Afternoon. What is obviously a fine tight English rock group has chosen to strangle itself in contextual goo.

In Search the band is being to self consciously “Mystical”. The reviewer likes Ride My Seesaw & Dr. Livingston I Presume, he is noncommittal on Legend of a Mind (he likes the tune, hates the lyrics) Hopefully, next time around the band will leave their London Festival Orchestra & Yantra at home & get together a straight ahead no BS album of rock. Judging from these albums, they should be able to do that & doing it well.

Now as an incentive to subscribe you will receive your very own copy of the second Steppenwolf album.

The notice contains this little aside…It says

Think what a wonderful, heart warming gift a subscription would make for a loved one, or one who needs to be loved. But act quickly, Richard Nixon will be inaugurated January 20.

+ Reply to Thread