+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Re: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

For sure, CCR was way more successful than a lot of those bands (though I wouldn't put them ahead of Jefferson Airplane or The Grateful Dead). Do you know the song list for that particular album? I'm curious, because CCR definitely had some standout singles, but I'm not familiar with their discography.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2732358;
    For sure, CCR was way more successful than a lot of those bands (though I wouldn't put them ahead of Jefferson Airplane or The Grateful Dead). Do you know the song list for that particular album? I'm curious, because CCR definitely had some standout singles, but I'm not familiar with their discography.
    Side one
    "I Put a Spell on You" (Screamin' Jay Hawkins) –
    "The Working Man" – 3:04
    "Susie Q" (Eleanor Broadwater, Dale Hawkins, Stanley Lewis) – 8:37

Side two
    "Ninety-Nine and a Half (Won't Do)" (Steve Cropper, Eddie Floyd, Wilson Pickett) – 3:39
    "Get Down Woman" – 3:09
    "Porterville" – 2:24
    "Gloomy" – 3:51
    "Walk on the Water" (J. Fogerty, Tom Fogerty) – 4:40

Personnel
    Doug Clifford - drums, bass
    Stu Cook - bass, drums
    John Fogerty - lead guitar, all lead vocals unless otherwise noted
    Tom Fogerty - rhythm guitar, vocals

Suzy Q was the only hit single off of the album & it peaked at #11. This was also the only single the band ever released that wasn't written by John Fogerty.

CCR has the rather dubious record of having the most songs in the Top 10 of the charts without ever having a #1 hit.

Proud Mary peaked at #2
    Bad Moon Rising #2
    Green River #2
    Down on the Corner #3
    Travelin Band #2
    Up Around the Bend #4
    Lookin Out My Back Door #2
    Have you ever seen the Rain #8
    Sweet Hitch Hiker #6

Rolling Stone Issue 15

Dated August 10, 1968. Mick Jagger on the cover. Vol. II No. 4

The lead article is called Rolling Stones Comeback: Beggars Banquet

The article gushes about how good the new album is & calls it the comeback of their career from the disaster that was Their Satanic Majesties Request “a recording episode as unfortunate as any for any group in the world.” Sympathy for the Devil is called “most likely to be the most significant song on the album.” The reviewers were pretty on the money this issue…see the review of Music From Big Pink.
    Jumpin Jack Flash according to Mick is not going to be included on the British release but the American release may include the song, (it wasn’t). Here are the track listings:
    1. Sympathy for the Devil 2. No Expectations 3. Dear Doctor 4. Parachute Woman 5. Jigsaw Puzzle 6. Street Fighting Man 7. Prodigal Son 8. Stray Cat Blues 9. Factory Girl 10. Salt of the Earth

Here is an interesting factoid about Sympathy, according to Mick:
    The original lyric was “Who killed the Kennedy, after all it was you & me.” The next day after the song was originally recorded Bobby was shot, so the lyric was updated to The Kennedy’s & the song redone.

News of Note:
    Bill Graham has moved his base of operations into the old Carousel Ballroom & renamed it the Fillmore West, to compliment the recently opened Fillmore East in NYC.

The Nice staring keyboardist Keith Emerson are heading to America for the first time.

Despite denials by all three members for months, Cream is calling it quits. The band seems to have just “lost direction.” It will all come to an end after the last of a 15 stop tour of the US.

The Beatles will launch Apple Records on August 11 with 3 releases, Revolution, a John Lennon composition, Thingumybob featuring Paul McCartney’s direction of the Black Dyke Mills Brass Band, & the musical soundtrack to the movie Wonderwall by George Harrison.

Roger Daltry has stated that The Who will be recording a rock opera sometime in the fall. Pete Townshend has already written most of the songs & once their American tour is over they will get into the studio.

There is a nice write up on Merle Haggard. You should see the photo of him, talk about looking young & totally foreign to what he would become. He was thrown into jail at age 14 for suspicion of armed robbery & by 17 he had spent 2 years in reform school. He says that as a youth he kept running away from home to avoid being a burden on his Mother. His dad was a fiddle player from Checotah Oklahoma that left during the dust bowl & ended up in Bakersfield, he died when Merle was 9.
    Checotah Oklahoma, seems like there would be a pretty little blonde girl with a big voice to come out of there as an American Idol & upcoming Country Music superstar.

Mick Jagger has just come from watching the Doors at the Hollywood Bowl, & he calls Jim Morrison’s stage act a “bore.”

John Lennon has just separated from Cynthia.

Album Reviews:
    Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac
    With this, the first by the band, they have established themselves as another tight English Blues band joining the likes of John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers, Ten Years After & Savoy Brown. Fleetwood Mac are representative of how far the blues have penetrated, far enough for a group of London East Enders to have cut a record potent enough to make the South Side of Chicago take notice.

Music from Big Pink - The Band
    This review is from Al Kooper. He says that this album is his personal choice for album of the year for 1968. “Music from Big Pink is an event & should be treated as one.” He calls “The Weight” probably the most commercial item in the set. I reckon the guy knows himself a thing or two, don’t he. Since Al Kooper knows all these guys he throws in a bit of band history into the review. The Band was six years in the making. They’d pop up once in a while behind Ronnie Hawkins or on their own as The Hawks, or affectionately called The Crackers. They left Toronto 3 years ago to tour with Dylan They went home to Woodstock with Dylan & put down roots for 2 years while getting the music together in Big Pink.
    Then he ends the review with this: “This album was recorded in approximately two weeks. There are good people who will work their lives away in vain & not touch it.
    This is hands down the most glowing review of the first 15 issues of this magazine.

Subscription for a year has increased to $6. But now for a limited time only for that one year subscription Rolling Stone will send you Free Of Charge the new album by The Grateful Dead…Anthem of the Sun.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2734605;
    Rolling Stone Issue 15

Dated August 10, 1968. Mick Jagger on the cover. Vol. II No. 4

Here is an interesting factoid about Sympathy, according to Mick:
    The original lyric was “Who killed the Kennedy, after all it was you & me.” The next day after the song was originally recorded Bobby was shot, so the lyric was updated to The Kennedy’s & the song redone.

Music from Big Pink - The Band
    This review is from Al Kooper. He says that this album is his personal choice for album of the year for 1968. “Music from Big Pink is an event & should be treated as one.” He calls “The Weight” probably the most commercial item in the set. I reckon the guy knows himself a thing or two, don’t he. Since Al Kooper knows all these guys he throws in a bit of band history into the review. The Band was six years in the making. They’d pop up once in a while behind Ronnie Hawkins or on their own as The Hawks, or affectionately called The Crackers. They left Toronto 3 years ago to tour with Dylan They went home to Woodstock with Dylan & put down roots for 2 years while getting the music together in Big Pink.
    Then he ends the review with this: “This album was recorded in approximately two weeks. There are good people who will work their lives away in vain & not touch it.

The Woo woo's in Sympathy were not original, but were recorded after a group of friends of Anita Pallenberg (at the time Keith Richard's girlfriend, formerly Brian Jones') started doing that in the studio during a take of the song and the Stones liked it and wanted it included.

Big Pink, one of the greatest albums of all times. Glad the magazine reviewer liked this one.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Rolling Stone Issue 16

Dated August 24, 1968. The Band on the cover. Vol. II No. 4

After spending the past 6 yrs. On the road, The Band moved into Big Pink in Woodstock when Dylan(during his recovery from a near fatal motorcycle accident) asked them to move there & help him complete a TV Movie. They paid the exorbitant fee of $125 a month rent. Regarding the name of the band, Robbie Robertson explains it this way: “You know, for one thing there aren’t many bands around Woodstock, & our friends & neighbors just call us the band & that’s the way we think of ourselves.”

Dylan on Robbie Robertson, “the only mathematical guitar genius I’ve ever run into that does not offend my intestinal nervousness with his rear guard sound.”
    Garth Hudson on organ was going to agricultural college until a photo of his uncle playing trombone in a dance band, led him instead into music.
    Rick Danko on bass was the son of a Canadian tobacco farmer that grew up without electricity in his house until he was 10. He also plays guitar, fiddle & mandolin.
    Richard Manuel on Piano also born into a Canadian farming family whose uncles almost all played an instrument.
    Levon Helm, from Arkansas, the son of a sharecropper & the only non Canadian in the band.

News of Note:
    Gram Parsons has split from theByrds to avoid going with them to S. Africa. His anti-apartheid stance wouldn’t let him conscientiously play to segregated audiences.

Record sales topped $1 billion in 1967.

Lead singer of The Temptations, David Ruffin, has left the group to pursue a solo career.
    He wouldn’t experience much success on the Pop charts with ony 3 songs hitting the Top 20 & none charting higher than #9.

Percy Sledge recently suffered a heart attack during a performance in Pensacola Florida. He was hospitalized for 11 days.

Album Reviews:
    Life - Sly & the Family Stone
    The Family Stone emerges as a true force on this, their 3rd album (all in an 8 month timeframe). The reviewer states that “ The most adventurous soul music of 1968 is being put out by two groups who aren’t really part of the mainstream R&B scene, Sly & The Chambers Brothers.” He goes on to compare the groups saying "both are primarily black, but both have white members. And both spend more time on the white club rock circuit than in black clubs & theaters.” Sly & the Family Stone are opening the door to a whole new era in Soul Music.

Friends - The Beach Boys
    “Any entity that creates it’s own idiom musically as well as culturally, like The Beach Boys take getting into. Listen once & you might think this album is nowhere. But it’s really at a special place, & after a half dozen listening, you can be there.”

Last Time Around - Buffalo Springfield
    The best & last Springfield album, according to the reviewer. This is the second major release in a month from a mostly Canadian Band, the first being Music From Big Pink. The reviewer states that while The Band “are overwhelming seriousness & pointed profundity, The Springfield are happier sounding & more sweet Country Flavored.”

It's been awhile, but here is issue #17.

Rolling Stone Issue 17

Dated September 14, 1968. The Mouse from Zap Comics on the cover. Vol. II No. 5

The first article is an Interview with Pete Townshend
    He tells about the genesis of the guitar smashing. They were playing their regular Thursday night gig in the local club when he accidentally hit the ceiling & his guitar broke, it wasn‘t intentional & he really liked the guitar. He thought the crowd would feel badly for him & voice some sorrow but no one did anything, so just to get a reaction from them he set about completely smashing it up & finally he got the reaction he was looking for, from then on it became a part of the act. And deep inside he was very unhappy that the guitar had been broken, because it was his favorite. I’m surprised at how much Pete dislikes his guitar playing, saying he just can’t get across what he wants to so he makes a big show out of it to make it look good. He seems to think he isn’t very good at all.

For the first time he talks about the bands next album which is mostly written already, he hopes to call it Deaf Dumb & Blind Boy. Here are some of his thoughts on how this album is going to happen. “Lyrically it’s quite easy to do it, in fact I’ve written it out several times. It makes great poetry, but so much depends on the music. I’m hoping that we can do it. The lyrics are going ok but every pitfall of what we are trying to say lies in the music, lies in the way we play the music, the way we interpret, the way things are going during the opera.” He feels that the album will be a natural progression from his “story songs” like My Generation, to a story album.

News of Note:
    August 3, a Doors concert in Flushing Meadows causes a riot, the band had to evacuate the stage, the crowd surged forward with pieces of wooden chairs that they had destroyed & proceeded to get on stage & beat the equipment up. 3 injured & sent to the Hospital.

The Mothers held a 5 hr. party at the Whiskey A Go Go in Hollywood that turned out to be a Live Recording session.

Here is an interesting blurb, quoted word for word. What do you think of this?
    “Jimmy Page is reforming the Yardbirds around himself, (to be billed as The Yardbirds featuring Jimmy Page)with bassist John Paul Jones & singer Robert Plant.” Foreshadowing of a super group to come?

Buddy Guy was asked to disband his own band to become lead guitarist for the Electric Flag. He declined respectfully.

Apple records is expected to release a new batch of records soon including a single by the Beatles called Hey Jude backed by a Lennon composition Revolution.

Janis is leaving Big Brother. See the review below for some answers to why.

The Raelettes have left Ray Charles due to salary disputes.

Newport Pop Festival in California’s Orange County has just concluded . 140,000 were on hand for the 2 day festival to see The Dead, Tiny Tim, Jefferson Airplane, Country Joe, Quicksilver Messenger Service, The Chambers Brothers, The Byrds, Alice Cooper, Steppenwolf, Sonny & Cher, Canned Heat, Electric Flag, Butterfield Blues Band, Eric Burdon & the Animals, Blue Cheer, & Iron Butterfly. Cost of the ticket? $5.50 per day.

Album Reviews:

Aerial Ballet - Nilsson
    Nilsson was always a good friend of The Beatles & especially John Lennon, so the reviewer has this to say. “The incomparable respect we hold for The Beatles & their opinions should sell a lot of Nilsson albums. For the magic of The Beatles is that their creations, like Shakespeare’s, are universal works that appeal on so many levels & dimensions so that there is something for everyone. Nilsson, on the other hand, is a very one dimensional artist.” His songs are called creative & clever, but he glosses over the other aspects of musical communication. The result is a highly artistic album, but one whose appeal will be limited to a certain type of listening mind.

Sweetheart of the Rodeo - The Byrds

“The Byrds have made an interesting album. It’s really very uninvolved & not a difficult record to listen to. It ought to make the Easy Listening charts.” Yikes!! Some groups are now so out of favor that they can’t seem to do anything right. The Byrds fit that category.

Spirit - Spirit
    “This is a most uncommon album, one that defies some recent fashions. These musicians use their chops in a most imaginative way, yet they don’t let the experimental tail, wag the rockin dog.” The closer you listen the more rewarding it becomes.
    John Locke had dropped out of UCLA to play jazz piano & met some of the other members at one of the Topanga corrals legendary jam sessions.
    Mark Andes played bass with Canned Heat.
    Randy California the guitarist is said to utilize his musical resources better than anyone else at the moment.

Cheap Thrills - Big Brother & the Holding Company
    The album was originally titled Dope, Sex & Cheap Thrills. “The album is a good representation of Big Brother, as good as could be expected & as good as we will ever get. What it is not is 1) a well produced rock & roll record, 2) Janis Joplin at her highest & most intense, & 3) better than the Mainstream record issued in the last year.” Janis, by this time had so outgrown the others in the band that it was just a matter of time before she walked out to pursue her own gig.

Many of the ads this issue are touting the great new format in recorded music. The 8 track tape!!

MRD

The suspense was about to kill me!

Thanks, I have really enjoyed this. (Obviously I did NOT get this for Christmas, but maybe for my birthday. Meanwhile, keep it coming, I have really enjoyed your "recaps")

I have to come back and say that Sweetheart of the Rodeo is probably my favorite Byrd's albums. I find it so interesting that the albums they dont' review very favorably have endured the test of time and become "classics".

I had an 8 track in my car. I thought I was SO cool. But I hated when it changed tracks in the middle of a song. I wish I now had all those 8 tracks, I had a bunch of them. It would be cool, just to have such an "ancient" piece of music history.
    Last edited by MRD; 01-24-2008 at 04:48 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

This has nothing to do with the Rolling Stone recaps, but I didn't know where else to put it.

I found a website the other day that is dedicated to musicians & bands biographies. So I was reading about ? & the Mysterians (96 Tears one hit wonders). They listed the band members & the bass player was a guy named Mel Schacher, this is the same bass player that would go on to become one of the founding members of Grand Funk. Who knew? Not me that's for sure.

Rolling Stone Issue 18

Dated September 28, 1968. Pete Townshend on the cover. Vol. II No. 5

The size has increased to 30 pages. Price s still 35cents.

There are two front page articles. The first one…According to researchers at the University of Tennessee, experiments conducted in playing loud rock music to guinea pigs shows that listening to Rock & Roll can lead to loss of hearing. Say what!!!

The second one is a report from the Democratic National Convention in Chicago. It is accompanied by a photo of 3 of Chicago’s finest subduing one lonely female by using Billy clubs on her. For the first time the RS has taken a political stance against the election of Richard Nixon but they recognize the fact the political left just can’t seem to get out of it’s own way & will not be the party to take power for any time in the near future. They are disappointed in the failure of Eugene McCarthy & end the article by saying “In fact this year, George Wallace is the truly American candidate. It’s just a question of whether Americans are ready & signs seem to say that they’re readier than ever.”

News of Note:

Total album sales for 1967 went past the Billion dollar mark for the first time. It was also the first year that Stereo passed Mono as the format of choice.

It is official Janis will be leaving Big Brother in November after finishing tour obligations. The funny thing is that this was reported last issue & the Letters to the Editor in this issue were filled with people telling everybody exactly why this wouldn’t happen. I think RS put those letters in there purposely.

Country Joe & the Fish were in Chicago to perform at the same time the Democratic convention was going on & they got attacked in a Hotel lobby & beat up by 3 drunken Viet Nam vets who took a dislike to the long hair & hippie type dress.

Don Kirshner who has become famous for forming The Monkees has a new project that he is pouring thousands of dollars into to promote. It is a new “band” called….The Archies. Bang Shang a Lang big Don.

Zappa & his Bizarre productions label has signed a distribution contract with Warners - Reprise records. Under contract with Warners now is Zappa, The Grateful Dead, The Fugs, The Jimi Hendrix Experience & Tiny Tim. Now there is a cross section for you.

Simon & Garfunkel are getting dissed in Hawaii. Apparently while in Honolulu for a concert the two refused to accept the tradition leis, refused to allow photos, & wouldn’t sign autographs. They snubbed a reporter, several photographers, two Colombia record execs. & about 25 fans. Big heads boys?

This issue contains part 2 of the interview with Pete Townshend.
    He tells a story about the first time he met Booker T, of the MG’S fame: “ I went up to Booker T. & I said Hey, I’m a big fan of yours & it’s really a pleasure to meet you. And he said, Oh Thank You what is your name? And I said Pete Townshend. & he put his finger in a kind of slanted position & made a very thoughtful face & said I must remember that. And just walked away.

He makes an interesting statement about the difference in meeting John Lennon & Paul McCartney.
    “What John does is sit down, immediately acknowledge the fact that he is John Lennon & the rest of the night is going to be revolve around him. He completely relaxes & let’s everybody else feel at ease. Of course everybody gets into his thing & also has a generally good time.”

“Paul worries, he wants a genuine conversation, a genuine relationship starting from square one. We’ve got to get it straight so that we both know where we are at before we begin. That’s all it serves to do. The conversation comes to no purpose & all he serves to do is confuse himself.”

There is an article on Smokey Robinson. In this article they say he started The Miracles when everyone was in Jr. High at the age of 12. He is 27 now & the band is still together, with only one exception, 15 years later. The exception is Claudette Rogers’ brother who left the group, Claudette is now Smokey’s wife.

This issue sees the return of the Current Album Release list. Here are a few. Do you remember?
    Bee Gees - Idea
    Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison
    Deep Purple - Deep Purple
    The Fifth Dimension - Stone Soul Picnic
    The Moody Blues - In Search of the Lost Chord
    Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of Secrets
    Buffy Ste. Marie - I’m Going to be a Country Girl Again
    Small Faces - Ogden’s Special Nut Gone Flake
    Ten Years After - Undead
    The Zombies - Odyssey & Oracle

Album Reviews:
    Anthem of the Sun - Grateful Dead
    On this album “the studio with it’s production work dissolves into live performance, the carefully crafted is thrown together with the casually tossed off, & the results are spliced together. The end product is one of the finest albums to come out of San Francisco. On par with Jefferson Airplane’s After Bathing at Baxter’s. I know I am in a minority, but I never got the whole Deadhead thing, & didn’t particularly like the Dead either.

Waiting for the Sun - The Doors
    “ After a year & a half of Morrison’s posturing one might logically hope for some sort of musical growth, & if the new record isn’t really terrible, it isn’t particularly exciting either.” The reviewer says “Manzarek is good on keyboards, Kreiger does some good stuff on guitar, Densmore leaves something to be desired in the way of swing, but at least everybody is together. But the real problem is Morrison, because the band has become to structured around him, which is a pity.” Hello I Love You is called pretty thin, The Unknown Soldier is on a par with Eric Burdon’s Sky Pilot…In a previous issue Sky Pilot was called really bad. On Yes the River Knows, Morrison shows he is incapable of sustaining a ballad. “ As for the music, great rock it isn’t-but then Morrison is supposedly this generations sex symbol. Anyway the cover is pretty.”
    Amazing, but up to & including this review, RS has never had much good to say about The Doors & especially seem to dislike Jim Morrison on many levels.

Truth - The Jeff Beck Group
    This album is called a “classic.” The reviewer (Al Kooper) wonders just what the Truth is, the great album, or the awful stage show the band had just put on a few weeks before. “ As a group they swing like mad on this record. It remains to be seen what will happen to them in person. I hope the public is honest enough to make them work it out.

Subscriptions remain at $10 a year, but for those who act fast, they will throw in a copy of Procol Harums’ new album Shine On Brightly

Waiting for the Sun - The Doors
    “ After a year & a half of Morrison’s posturing one might logically hope for some sort of musical growth, & if the new record isn’t really terrible, it isn’t particularly exciting either.” The reviewer says “Manzarek is good on keyboards, Kreiger does some good stuff on guitar, Densmore leaves something to be desired in the way of swing, but at least everybody is together. But the real problem is Morrison, because the band has become to structured around him, which is a pity.” Hello I Love You is called pretty thin, The Unknown Soldier is on a par with Eric Burdon’s Sky Pilot...
    I was a huge Doors fan as a teenager. Jim Morrison's tortured poet's soul appealed to me big-time. So, I actually own this album on vinyl. And was familiar enough with the songs to have used "The Unknown Soldier" for a history project. My teacher was a former flower child and dead impressed with me.
    Though it's not the greatest album the Doors ever put out, I think "Hello, I Love You" is one of the Doors' most enduring pop songs.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread