+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2829303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Re: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Elton John, Nov. 12, 1972, Municipal Auditorium, Nashville Tn. I was there.
    Humble Pie, 30 Days In The Hole - great song!

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3883596;
    Elton John, Nov. 12, 1972, Municipal Auditorium, Nashville Tn. I was there.
    Humble Pie, 30 Days In The Hole - great song!
    Ha! I hated 30 Days in the Hole much because I had friends that played it over & over & it was a big reason I never liked Humble Pie.

I listened to this way too much back in the day.

YouTube - Humble Pie - Smokin' - 06 - 30 Days In The Hole

Along with this one on my Lear Jet 8 track tape player.

YouTube - Humble Pie - Hot 'N' Nasty

Rolling Stone Issue 85

Dated June 24, 1971. Tricia Nixon on the cover.

Random Notes

Francisco Franco, the Spanish dictator, has banned the release of Sticky Fingers in Spain until they get rid of the zipper cover & the song Sister Morphine.

The board of directors at MGM is ready to give the boot to President Mike Curb.

Poco has a new album ready. It is being reported that the band was in the red to the tune of $35,000 last year mainly because they were their own managers. This year they have hired a management firm & have seen a profit of $140,000.

Clive Davis acting on behalf of Columbia Records has just signed The New Riders Of The Purple Sage.

The 3 US based members of The Doors are waiting to hear from Jim Morrison who is still in Paris. They don’t know what his plans are for himself or the band. They do know that he recently moved from one place to another shortly after he threw his landlord out of a window.

UA has just released a double compilation album charting the history of Steve Winwood. The album is called Winwood & Steve & Island Records are suing to stop the release.

Donald Franklin Duncan was buried last month in Palm Springs. He died at the age of 78. He was the inventor of the Duncan Yo-Yo…for all you boomers out there.

Bob Dylan is 30. Can we still trust him?

Jim Gordon, Carl Radle, & Bobby Whitlock, had a disagreement with Eric Clapton during the making of the second Derek & The Dominoes album & left him to finish it alone. He, in turn, recruited help from Steve Winwood.

LP prices have risen to $5.98 with some new albums by the top groups headed even higher.

After 3 years together, Free called it quits in the midst of a tour in Australia.

Herman has left the Hermits after 8 years. He is telling the story of a organist that he recruited to play with the band but the guy didn’t stick around. That guy? John Paul Jones, bass player for Led Zeppelin.

After a 2 year hiatus, Jeff Beck has formed a new band & tour rehearsals are under way.

Ads for groups or albums this issue:

John Baldry - It Ain’t Easy

Atomic Rooster - Death Walks Behind You

Curtis Mayfield - Live

Hoyt Axton - Joy to The World

Leo Kottke - Mudlark

Matthews Southern Comfort- Later That Same Year

Weather Report -

Album Reviews:

James Taylor - Mudslide Slim & The Blue Horizon
    When an artist finally has achieved success he is subjected to the kind of evaluation which will either legitimize that success or destroy it. Today, the consensus seems to be that this is the season for the demolition of James Taylor. It is the sheer vastness of his success which condemns him while by comparison his less talented fellow chart busters, Led Zeppelin & Grand Funk get off easily. While this album makes for pleasant listening, there is a terrible weariness to it which is part of it’s artistic statement…Ben Gerson

Carpenters -
    Ultimately the Carpenters have more going for them than against. There is no question that they have contributed mightily to the inherently limited genre of MOR music or that they bring a little light soul & sensitivity to a music that is by definition dehydrated. They have a WASPish charm that is pleasant to admire from a distance. And they do make fine singles. Period…Jon Landau

Argent - Ring of Hands
    Led by Rod Argent, former keyboard player with The Zombies this group is a more refined extension of his approach than the old group. He has decided to be as commercial as possible, without reducing any artistic standards. Up until now the goup seems to have succeeded on both levels without making the big impact on record sales that they deserve. The songs, all originals, are catchy enough to be hummable & that’s something you don’t find to often these days. Even though they now have 2 albums out, there seems to still be time to be the first on your block to discover Argent…Todd Everett

Other albums reviewed:

The Johnny Otis Live Show

The Guess Who - The Best of

Joseph & The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Johnnie Taylor - One Step Beyond

Cheapo Cheapo Productions presents Real Live John Sebastian

Blood rock - 3

Curtis Mayfield - Curtis Live

Joe South - So The Seeds Are Growing

Redwing

Atomic Rooster - Death Walks Beside You

Albums Expected in the near future.

Seatrain has a new one in the works with producer George Martin.

On Tour:

Allman Brothers, Eric Anderson, John Baldry, The Beach Boys, Butterfield Blues Band, Canned Heat, Chicago, Judy Collins, Roberta Flack, Jethro Tull, Lee Michaels, Stephen Stills, & Tony Joe White.

Rolling Stone Issue 86

Dated July 8, 1971. Doug Sahm (Sir Douglas Quintet) on the cover.

Random Notes

Dennis Wilson of The Beach Boys was putting a new window in his house when the glass broke & severed a tendon in the palm of his right hand. It took surgeons 3 hours to put it back together. The upcoming gour of the group will go on with a new drummer, as yet unpicked.

Marty Balin has apparently spilt from Jefferson Airplane but he says he will tour with them again once Grace Slick is recovered from her car wreck.

The cops boarded David Crosby’s boat in Newport Harbor. David flushed his dope only to see it float to the surface. He has been arrested on drug charges.

Joe Cocker is in the studio with new stuff being produced by Denny Cordell.

Guitar player Kent Henry from Blues Image has joined Steppenwolf replacing Larry Byrom.

Warner Reprise has signed John Fahey.

Lou Adler, acting on behalf of his label Ode Records has signed his first comedy act, two guys named Cheech & Chong.

United Artists has agreed to pull the Winwood album, but they will still get the next Traffic release.

B.B. King was a no show as an opener in LA for Lee Michaels. There were only 37 requests for refunds.

Linda Rondstadt has 2 private concerts scheduled for Disneyland.

One of LA’s most popular DJ’s, known as Humble Harve, has been arrested & charged with the murder of his wife. His defense lawyer is the same guy that defended Sirhan Sirhan.

First it was reported that the guy on the cover of Sticky Fingers was Joe Dellasandro, now word is the guy is named Jackie Curtis & he is the roommate of Andy Warhol.

June 27th has been chosen as the final date for The Fillmore West with Moby Grape singing the venue out.

After an 8 year absence, rock guitar pioneer, Link Wray is back. Pete Townshend has credited Link with being the reason he decided to pick up the guitar.

A crowd of 2,000 greeted Jethro Tull for a sold out show at Red Rocks in Colorado. Unfortunately another 2,000 decided to gate crash leading to the police dispensing tear gas from a helicopter. 28 people including 4 cops & 3 infants were treated in are hospitals. The band played for 1hr. 20min. anyway, as they highlighted new music from their upcoming Aqualung album.

June 11th , nearly a year & a half after Alcatraz Island was taken over by a group of American Indians, the island has been retaken by US Coast Guard & Federal agents.

Mark Almond -

Elton John - 11-17-70

Grin -

Graham Nash - Songs For Beginners

Tom Hardin - Bird On A Wire

Yes - The Yes Album

Stevie Wonder - Where I’m Coming From

The Flying Burrito Brothers -

Nilsson - Aerial Pandemonium Ballet

Climax Blues Band -

Keef Hartley Band - Overdog

Album Reviews:

Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells A Story
    He has it in him to save a lot of souls, to rescue those of us that are to old for Grand Funk, but not old enough for those adorable McCartney’s from being nearly consummately bored with the current rock scene. A careful listening or two will reveal that Stewart is subtly brilliant on I’m Losing You, Maggie May & Mandoelin Wind. Boring as the other half of it may be, it does make it clear that if he ever gives himself time to write a whole album, it will be among the best ever. Until then a bunch of folks are walking around half saved…John Mendelsohn

Paul & Linda McCartney - Ram
    Ram is so incredibly inconsequential, & so monumentally irrelevant, it is difficult to concentrate on, let alone dislike or even hate. The albums genre music, blues & old rock is unbearably inept. …Jon Landau

Leon Russell & The Shelter People
    Russell recorded the new album with 4 different rhythm sections. Perhaps the thinness of the emotional content of this record is a reflection of the fact that he is spreading himself to thin. Personally, I would rather hear him try working out 1 thing until he got it right. He has given us a fine album in the past & I’m sure there is another one in him. I’m still looking forward to it…Jon Landau

Other albums reviewed:

Blue Cheer - Oh! Pleasant Hope

Link Wray -

Freddie King - Getting Ready

Miles Davis - Jack Johnson

Winwood -

The Rascals - Peaceful World

Buddy Miles - A Message to the People

Albums Expected in the near future.

Beach Boys - Surfs Up

Joni Mitchell - Blue

MRD

Sirhan Sirhan's lawyer was Buck Compton of Easy Company, 2nd Battlion, 506th infantry parachute regiment. He has a pretty large role in the HBO series band of brothers.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I have missed you MRD...

MRD

I'm reading. Just haven't had a LOT of time lately to respond to much. That has now changed, so keep on posting. LOVE this stuff.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

In the last issue (#86) there was a small burb from Capitol Records where they were mentioning sales of some of their artists. It seems like the bigger names are selling tons of albums, while newer, smaller, acts can't even get a bite. They mention specifically the first Capitol album by Leo Kottke called Mudlark. They are concerned that no one seems to be buying the album. Anyway, I went to my vinyl collection & pulled out my copy to put on the turntable. Interestingly enough, mine is a Capitol Re-issue so the album must have caught on eventually or there would have been no reason to re-issue it. It is pretty unbelievable how much music this guy can get out of one guitar.

Rolling Stone Issue 87

Dated July 22,1971. Ian Anderson on the cover. (this is a great Annie Leibovitz photo)
    Price of the magazine is now 60 cents.

The article on Tull is written as the band makes a stop in San Francisco as they tour in support of their new album Aqualung. The members of the band range in age from 21 to 24 & Ian’s wife, Jennie is referred to as tiny, frail & shy to the point of pain, but she is responsible for the lyrics to Aqualung. At this point Ian is the only remaining original member of the band. This is only the 3rd show with the band for drummer Barriemore Barlow. Original members Mick Abraham, Glenn Cornick & Clive Bunker all left for various reasons to be replaced by Martin Barre, John Evan, Jeffrey Hammond Hammond, & Barriemore Barlow.

Ian says this about the genesis of their songs: I just tend to show up rather selfishly with a few songs, strum them on the guitar, & say so it goes. From there on in, we battle it out until we arrive at something we think is OK & something I feel does justice to the original concept.

He also states that he doesn’t do drugs of any sort, nor does he ever drink enough to get drunk. The other members of the band agree & say they don’t understand the drug scene either.

Ian likes some of the American rock but claims there are only two true “artists”, Captain Beef heart & Frank Zappa.

Ian has a brother that is a ballet dancer, so he figures that maybe that is where he got some of his stage antics.

The name of the band comes from an 18th century agriculturist that invented the seed drill (whatever that is).

Random Notes

The Supreme Court has declined to hear the appeal of the conviction of Carl Wilson of the Beach Boys for refusing to sign up for the draft. He was sentenced to two years as an orderly at a LA County Hospital, he appealed, all for naught.

Commander Cody & The Lost Planet Airmen have signed a 1 yr. contract, with options for 3 more with Paramount Records. They are now cutting their first album in San Francisco.

Guitarist Robin Trower has departed Procol Harum to form his own group.

Mark Andes & Jay Ferguson have left Spirit & formed Jo Jo Gunne.

The Fillmore East has closed it’s doors. The last night line up was Albert King (who was the person that opened the venue 39 months prior on a bill with Janis Joplin), J. Geils Band, Edgar Winter, Mountain, The Beach Boys, & Country Joe….And The Allman Brothers finished the night off as the sun was coming up.

The Stones are planning a 15 to 20 stop US Tour to begin in November. Tickets are set to top out at $7.50.

Two of Motown’s behind the scenes song writers are now doing some of their own stuff. Ashford & Simpson are beginning to step into the spotlight. As writers, before becoming singers themselves, they gave us Ain’t No Mountain High Enough, Your Precious Love, You‘re All I Need To Get By, & Reach Out & Touch.

Hot Tuna - Live

Joni Mitchell - Blue

John Denver - Poems, Prayers & Promises

The Crusaders - Pass The Plate

Rare Earth - One World

Lighthouse - One Fine Morning

Strawbs - From The Witchwood

Album Reviews:

Jethro Tull - Aqualung
    Tull is one of our more serious & intelligent groups & Anderson’s choice of subject for this album, the distinction between God & religion is witness to that. Further, Tull has a music sophistication to match. Whereas, This Was, their first album, was aimless & disorganized, Stand Up was eclectic in the best sense, & Benefit finally provided the band with a concrete sound, there is something anti - climactic about this one. Thus, despite the fine musicianship, & often brilliant organization of the songs, this album is not elevated, but undermined by it’s seriousness…Ben Gershon

Graham Nash - Songs For Beginners
    If you accept Graham on his own terms, which is simply as a nice guy who somehow ended up a musician, then you probably find him to be an agreeable sort. Add a sharp ear for melody, a pleasant voice that tends to grow on you, & a surprisingly restrained & beautiful production & you get a good sense of what this album is all about….Lenny Kaye

James Gang - Thirds
    As a lead guitarist, Joe Walsh, even though he possesses sufficient restraint & expertise, he scarcely ever fails to throw in a few hackneyed doodling notes before his moments of genuine inspiration. Nevertheless, he writes pleasant little tunes that he sings in his pleasant little voice. So while they aren’t the greatest band to walk the face of the earth, they are capable of some nice little treats now & again…John Mendelsohn

Yes - The Yes Album
    The Yes Album differs from it’s two predecessors because for the first time everything the group performs is original material. Forget your inhibitions & take The Yes Album home with you. It may not cure the common cold, but you’ll never get sick from hearing it…John Koegel

Other albums reviewed:

Aretha Franklin - Live at the Fillmore West

Gordon Lightfoot - Summer Side Of Life

Michael Nesmith - Nevada Fighter

John Baldry - It Ain’t Easy

Roger Tillitson’s Album

Jackson Five - Maybe Tomorrow

Elvis - Love Letters From Elvis

T. Rex

Charlie Musselwhite - Takin My Time

+ Reply to Thread