+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

MRD

Re: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Pretty cool Unk.

Razorbacker, we just moved and I had a 23 year old friend helping me pack my vinyl. She was exclaiming over every album we packed until we go to the New Riders of the Purple Sage. She had never heard of them. But for a 23 year old, she has some good taste in classic rock. And she was amazed that I had some of these albums as she scours used music stores for some of them. I told her: "Hey, I bought most of these when they were first released and were easy to get."
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD, I still listen to my old vinyl a lot. I just bought a new turntable & hooked it up to my home theater surroundsound system. Vinyl still has the best sound if you ask me. One of the music stores in my town just added a brand new section just for vinyl. More & more artists are releasing new stuff that way because they like the full sound as opposed to the compressed digital.

There is going to be a brand new collection of Jimi Hendrix material released on March 9th called Pieces Of Neptune. It will be not only a CD Collection but is also going to be released on Vinyl...

MRD

We have 2 great music stores here and sell both new and used Vinyl. My young friend was complaining about the cost of some of the classic vinyl she bought. I have Abbey Road, Revolver, The White Album, Sgt. Pepper's and both Woodstock albums among others. She said I could get a fortune for them on ebay. She said she paid $25 for Abby Road and has since seen it for $40.
    Uh, no, not selling it.
    I dont' listen to it as much because I'm lazy. My home CD player holds 25 CD's. My ipod 1000 songs (and it's full). So I am now too lazy to get up off the couch and flip a record over after ONLY 5 songs.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Rolling Stone Issue 80

Dated April 15, 1971. Joe Dallesandro on the cover.

Random Notes

Big rumor of the moment is the reformation of the Mamas & Papas & a new album & concert appearances in the offing.

Rumor of the Week runner up…Dylan has been in the studio recording new stuff with Leon Russell.

The Grateful Dead have resigned with Warner Brothers after extensive negotiations.

Mary Travers has made the split, putting an end to Peter Paul & Mary. She has a solo album ready & will be heading out on tour to support it.

The learjet carrying Mountain to a concert in Cleveland experienced some difficulties. The had to fly out over the Atlantic, dump all their fuel & make an emergency landing. The Cleveland appearance was cancelled.

Three major tours for April include Grand Funk, Arlo Guthrie & Cactus.

The Illinois Crime Commission has issued a list of songs that include drug references warning people to avoid the. The list includes…
    Let’s Go Get Stoned - Joe Cocker
    A Whiter Shade of Pale - Procol Harum
    Hi - De - Ho - Blood Sweat & Tears
    With a Little Help From My Friends - as recorded by Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66
    White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane
    Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds - The Beatles
    Puff the Magic Dragon - Peter, Paul & Mary

Dateline Moscow Russia…it has been decided that men wearing their hair long, is not against the law…

The Stones are pissed at Decca Records for putting out an album entitled Stone Age containing songs over 4 years old & releasing it just prior to the bands next new release, Sticky Fingers.

Robert Redford is filming his new movie, Jeremiah Johnson, in Utah’s Wasatch Mountains.

There is an article this issue about Boz Scaggs. We find out that his first solo effort, surprisingly enough titled Boz Scaggs ( & a great album with Duane Allman on guitar) has sold fewer than 20,000 copies in the two years since release. He has formed a new & tighter band & things are looking up as his second release titled Moments, has now moved past the 60,000 mark in sales in only a month. His new single We We’re Always Sweethearts is getting some air play as well.
    He relates this harrowing near miss story…He was traveling around Bombay, broke & without a passport. He decided to get a little money by carrying two kilos of hash to Helsinki through Russia. The hash was melted into sheets & fitted into the lining of his vest. The train he was traveling on was stopped just short of the Finnish border & a raid took place. A man in a white vest with all the epaulets attached actually patted him down twice, felt the hash in the vest, but didn’t connect the dots & let him go. Much to the surprise & pleasure of Boz, the man turned out to be a tea server on the train. He continued his journey & made 2 grand on the sale once he got to Helsinki.

All six members of The Allman Brothers Band, their road manager, & 3 equipment men have been arrested & charged with possession of Heroin & marijuana in Jackson Ms., at press time all 10 are still in jail pending bail of $2,000 each.

Ads for groups or albums this issue:

Crosby Still Nash & Young - 4 Way Street

King Crimson - Lizard

David Crosby - If Only I could Remember My Name

War - War

Trapeze - Medusa

Album Reviews:

Alice Cooper - Love it to Death
    Henceforth, Alice’s detractors won’t have their albums to kick about any more. Love it to death, they & you, may not, but at least like Love It To Death, many will, especially those with an ear for nicely wrought main stream punk raunch & snidely clever lyrics…..John Mendelsohn

Emerson Lake & Palmer
    We we’re forewarned by the British press that ELP would be a super group, & indeed on paper it was hard to see how they would miss. Emerson (from the Nice) on piano & organ & support from Lake (Ex King Crimson) & Palmer (Atomic Rooster) play some great new compositions from all involved. It is rather hard to classify this music, but it could be called “jazz influenced classical rock.” Which means Eugene Ormandy might buy a copy but Tommy Roe definitely wouldn’t. This is such a good album, but it is even better when heard as a whole…Lloyd Grossman

David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name
    Crosby’s album is not likely to go down in rock history, but it’s not a bad album. It all pretty much sounds the same but nothing jars either. And before I forget, this album claims to employ Nash, Young, 4 Deads, 1 Quicksilver, 4 Airplanes, 2 Santanas, Joni Mitchell, & a host of other beautiful people. I suggest not buying it until they are forced to dub in Stills….Lester Bangs

Other albums reviewed:

Ron Nagel - Bad Rice

Johnny Winter And - Live

Cactus - One Way or Another

Mike Nesmith - Loose Salute

Brewer & Shipley - Tarkio

Brian Augers Oblivion Express

Matthews Southern Comfort - Later That Same Year

The Everly Brothers - End Of An Era

Danny O’Keefe

Albums Expected in the near future.

Joni Mitchells new one is ready, title to be either River or Blue.

The next one from The Band is scheduled for late May.

Edgar Winter has named his next one White Trash, due out soon.

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

Rolling Stone Issue 81

Dated April 29, 1971. Michael Jackson on the cover. (He’s all of 11 at the time of this issue)

The article on the Jackson 5 is written by Ben Fong Torres & we learn:

Motown fans are asking where has David Ruffin gone? Why do Martha Reeves & The Vandellas get no promotion? Why is original Supreme Flo Ballard now a domestic servant & why is Motown not helping her out?

The band was originally made up of the 3 oldest sons with Jermaine singing lead, while sisters Maureen (the oldest kid) played violin & LaToya played clarinet. They were soon joined by Marlon & Michael & began to win talent contests almost immediately. Randy age 8, plays congas & Janet age 4 is waiting in the wings to join in.
    At the time this article was written Jackie is 19 & talking about going to business school so he can handle the band’s finances, he says the music is just his hobby.
    Tito is 17 & into the music much more, in the studio he sings bass, plays some lead guitar, the violin, bass fiddle & saxophone & he can also play piano, all of this makes him the serious musician of the group.
    Jermaine is 16 & tells about how the group attends private school in Encino & has a state sponsored board of education member following them on tour & giving them lessons. He learned to play bass on a lead guitar, before they could afford to buy him a bass guitar. He is writing songs as a fall back for when the band goes bankrupt.
    Marlon is 13 & the quite one of the group & considered to be the best & smoothest dancer of the group. He is considering a career as an actor.
    Michael is 11 & weighs in at 75 pounds. Here he is referred to as “the chief child, the new model, the successor to James Brown, the Temptations & Sly & the Family Stone, the cherubic incarnation of all their sums.” He first joined the group at a hospital show when he was 4. He is learning to play drums & piano.
    They have just finished their first major headlining tour & set an attendance record in Greensboro, N.C. when 12,275 showed up. There were just shy of 20,000 for a show in Chicago while fans in Boston & Cincy fainted from excitement.

Opening for the J5 on this tour is a “run of the mill seven man soul ensemble from Tuskegee Al. called The Commodores.”

Random Notes

The Stones are set to have Sticky Fingers in our hands within the next couple of weeks. It has been decided that the first single will be Brown Sugar with a B side of Bitch.

Never Can Say Goodbye , the newest single by The Jackson 5, has sold over a million copies in the first 6 days of release. It is their 6th Gold Single. Their next album has advance orders of over $3 million & it hasn’t even begun to be recorded yet.

Sonny & Cher have signed with Kapp Records.

Gordon Lightfoot has been awarded the Order of Canada, for contributions to Canadian Life.

Louis Armstrong has spent the past month in the Hospital due to a relapse of a heart condition.

Simon & Garfunklel has sold 6.5 million copies of their latest album Bridge Over Troubled Water.

There are a couple of long articles I chose not to read…a profile of Jack Nicholson & an article titled The Biker War at Polish Hall. The last one was written by Joe Eszterhas who will go on to write a lot of screenplays in the future.

There is a nice little expose on Loudon Wainwright III. He talks about how he kind of irritated his record company, his management & his friends when he released his first album. He purposely went low key in an attempt to establish himself as an artist instead of going the “cosmic” route. In the year & a half since the album release, he has never toured, never been to the West Coast & sometimes goes as long as 3 months without ever stepping on a stage…all points of contention with the above mentioned entities. But, in the long run, it seems to be working for him

Hunter S. Thompson has a piece called Strange Rumblings in Aztlan. It’s about Rueben Salazar, is over 10 pgs. Long & I gave it a miss.

Carole King - Tapestry

Crazy Horse - Crazy Horse

Humble Pie - Rock On

Alice Cooper - Love It To Death with the hit single Eighteen…

John Mayall - Back To The Roots

Kate Taylor - Sister Kate

Cactus - One Way or Another

Glass Harp

Album Reviews:

Carole King - Tapestry
    King’s second album has fulfilled the promise of her first & confirmed the fact that she is one of the most creative figures in all of Pop music. It is an album of surprising personal intimacy & musical accomplishments & a work infused with sense of artistic purpose. It is also easy to listen to & easy to enjoy…Jon Landau

Boz Scaggs - Moments
    In case you had forgotten, Boz is the guy that used to play guitar for Steve Miller. He left Miller to go out on his own, put out an excellent album, switched labels to Columbia & here is his second outing. Moments is elaborately arranged & produced, but the result is a warm, funky, spontaneity, somewhat reminiscent of Van Morrison, but, I think, more accessible. On top of that, Moments is one of the most transcendental albums to come out of rock in some time…Charlie Burton

Other albums reviewed:

Rita Coolidge - Rita Coolidge

Paul Siebel - Jack Knife Gypsy

John Hammond - Source Point
    Crazy Horse

Cowboy - Reach For The Sky

Delaney & Bonnie - Motel Shot

White Lightening - Fresh Air

Petula Clark - Warm & Tender

Canned Heat & John Lee Hooker - Hooker & Heat

Odetta - Odetta Sings

Al Kooper with Blood Sweat & Tears, Paul Simon, Santana, It’s A Beautiful Day, & Big Brother & the Holding Company have all been recording at the new Columbia studios just outside San Francisco.

Tour Announcements:

All of the following will be on tour during April:
    Allman Brothers, Bad Finger, Bread, Buddy Miles, Bush, Butterfield Blues Band, Cactus, Chicago, Judy Collins, Neil Diamond, Roberta Flack, Grand Funk Railroad, Iron Butterfly, Jethro Tull, Leon Russel, Steppenwolf, Three Dog Night, & Uriah Heep.

Rolling Stone Issue 82

Dated May 13, 1971. Peter Fonda on the cover. An Annie Leibovitz photo

Random Notes

Due to Doctors orders, Paul Williams is being relieved from road travels with The Temptations, he will be replaced with Richard Street who has been the “sixth” Temp for quite awhile now. In other news from the Temptations, Eddie Kendricks has left the group after a decade to try a solo career, the group is searching for his replacement.

This weeks top rumors:

Led Zeppelin once they finish this current tour, will not tour again…ever.
    Cream is reforming….
    Paul McCartney is signing with A&M records

Looking back at it from today, here is yet another weird piece of prognostication. The paragraph goes like this:
    The Doors have their first hit single in nearly two years with Love Her Madly, & just in time too. With the completion of the album LA Woman, their Elektra contract is expired. With Jim Morrison still vacationing in France, the immediate future of the Doors is at best uncertain.

Jesus Christ Superstar has sold 2 million copies to date. Andrew Lloyd Weber & Tim Rice have just signed a 7 album deal with MCA Records.

Paul Simon is getting his first solo effort done & meanwhile Art Garfunkle is between movie roles & is teaching geometry at a prep school in Connecticut.

Black Sabbath is making it big this year & no one seems to know why, at least no one that matters. Their first album, without a hit or much promotion went to #3 in the UK. They packed the Whiskey two nights in a row, for their first US gigs. They have since sold out every show they headlined & even sold the Fillmore East, 3 weeks in advance. Both their albums have gone Gold in the US & their single, Paranoid, is in the Top 5 in every country in Western Europe.

There was a band back in the early 60’s called The Champs. They had their last chart hit in 1962. But, two of the ex members of the band have joined together to form a new duet & are making some noise. They are Jimmy Seals & Dash Crofts or, Seals & Crofts as they will be known. They are just beginning to make a name for themselves.

Bloodrock - 3

Buddy Miles - A Message to the People

The Flamin Groovies

Uriah Heep - Salisbury

Chuck Mangione - Friends & Love

The Doors - LA Woman

Procol Harum - Broken Barricades

The Nice - Elegy (Keith Emersons last gig with the band)

The Doobie Brothers -

Wishbone Ash - (these guys are still making new music)

Album Reviews:

Bread -Manna
    You might call them innocuous. They sound a little like the latter Beatles at their most saccharine, a bit like the insipid heart of CSN&Y, & a lot like a perfect radio distillation of last years most sentimentally pseudo personal ballads. And in that crassly calculating process, they manage to be thoroughly appealing. It’s hard to imagine going out of your way for them, but they are nice to have around…Lester Bangs

Humble Pie - Rock On
    This album is a considerable advance over their other two. Steve Marriott does a fine job on guitar, piano & harp. Peter Frampton has developed enormously since his days with The Herd & is the most sensitive singer & best song writer of the group. My only disappointment is that they have not lived up to the promise shown in their Live performances. But, this is a very good album…Loyd Grossman

Other albums reviewed:

Woodstock - Two

Kate Taylor - Sister Kate

Brian Augers Oblivion Express

Melanie - The Good Book

Tour schedules this issue:

Bread, Brewer & Shipley, Bush, Butterfield Blues Band, Judy Collins, Neil Diamond, Robert Flack, Grand Funk Railroad, Elton John, J. Geils Band, Steve Miller, Mott the Hoople, Livingston Taylor,

Merry Clayton with help from Carole King & Billy Preston.
    Randy Newman is back in the studio recording music for a new film.
    T Rex with help from some ex- Mothers.
    Kris Kristofferson, his second is due.
    Poco, recording in Memphis, produced by Steve Cropper.

Rolling Stone Issue 83

Dated May 27, 1971. Country Joe McDonald on the cover. (Annie Leibovitz)

Random Notes

Warner Brothers has signed John Stewart.

RCA is the new home of acoustic guitar player Kim Fowley.

Columbia Records have signed Arthur Lee & Love & Ten Years After.

Capitol Records is welcoming the newly reformed Sons Of Champlin.

16 year old Neal Schon has turned up in San Francisco playing some mean blues guitar jamming with Eric Clapton & Elvin Bishop. He will be joining Santana as a second lead guitar player in the near future. He is also helping to write & arrange new songs for Carlos.

Bill Graham has announced the closing of Fillmore’s East & West.

Leon Russell has purchased a 20 room hotel in Oklahoma City. He will be relocating & so, his recording studio in Hollywood is up for sale.

Bianca is now Mrs. Mick Jagger.

The guys from Bread feel as though they have gotten lost in the CSN&Y hype. Even though they are staples on the radio, they think listeners were so psyched for CSN&Y, that they, Bread, have become also rans. Members James Griffin & Rob Royer have just accepted the Academy Award for Best Song…The Carpenters For All We Know…which the two wrote under the names Robb Wilson & Arthur James. The more famous of the group, David Gates, grew up with & played in bands in Oklahoma with Leon Russell.

Stephen Stills was fined $1,000 & given probation for his coke bust in La Jolla last year.

James Taylor - Mudslide Slim & The Blue Horizon

Boz Scaggs - Moments

James Gang - Thirds

Woodstock - Two

Mandrill

Crosby Stills Nash & Young - 4 Way Street

Grand Funk Survival

Goose Creek Symphony - Welcome to Goose Creek

Album Reviews:

CSN&Y - 4 Way Street
    After 6 cuts on 2 Woodstock albums, which collectively constituted a monumental disaster in the history of Live recorded music, it seemed to me that CSN&Y had as much business recording live shows as did The Monkees. But, 4 Way Street is a surprisingly good album. To begin with they all play & sing in mostly the same key on almost every single cut. The album does point out their weaknesses as a group but they are all performers of unquestionable talent & mostly because they stay out of each others way, this must surely be their best album to date…George Kimball

The Doors - LA Woman
    You can kick me in the ass for saying this (I don’t mind) but this is The Doors greatest album & (including their first album) the best album so far this year. A landmark worthy of dancing in the streets…R. Meltzer

Black Oak Arkansas
    It is said that before they became a rock & roll band, these guys were a teenage gang. It is said that a tar & feathers welcome awaits them in the town for which they were named. Lead singer Jim Mangrum is unremittingly obnoxious on stage, he is cocky, randy & gross beyond exaggeration, but he gets away with it because he is very beautiful. These guys, do, however, know what Rock & Roll is all about, an impression that is reinforced by When Electricity Came To Arkansas. If you haven’t guessed I think BOA is one fantastic Rock Band & with just a little coaching BOA could become the next Rolling Stones. Really!…John Mendelsohn

Osmonds - The Osmond Brothers
    The Osmonds are truly an island of family solidarity in this fragmented world of fraternal enmity & filial rebellion. Everything they do is the epitome of good taste & clean funk. And they know you don’t need to go underground to be earthy. God bless em…Lester Bangs…(this kind of puts all of his other bad reviews in context eh?)

Other albums reviewed:

Edgar Winter’s White Trash

The Grease Band

The Flamin’ Groovies - Teenage Head

Jackson Heights - King Progress

The Chambers Brothers - New Generation

Carol Hall - If I Be Your Lady

Alice Stuart - Full Time Woman

Nilsson - The Point

Stephen Stills - 2
    Neil Young
    Graham Nash - Songs For Beginners

Tour News:

Lots of folks touring England these days including The Band, & for the first time The Byrds are in England with new opening act Rita Coolidge.

Neil Diamond, Free, Humble Pie, Elton John, Carole King, Mandrill, John Mayall, Lee Michaels , Odetta, are all touring now.

4 Way Street is a great album. My buddies and I listened to that way too much back in the day. I'm going to have to head to the used CD store today to try to find some Black Oak now also. James Taylor - Mudslide Slim & The Blue Horizon was another 8 track that a got a lot of play in my Lear Jet 8 track in the Roadrunner back then. It's going to be 82° here in Columbus today. I'll be spending the day out in the Olds jamming to some oldies.

Rolling Stone Issue 84

Dated June 10, 1971. Elton John on the cover. (Annie Leibovitz)

At the time of this story, Elton has already achieved 3 Gold Albums. He is now in the midst of his 3rd US tour, lasting 10 weeks & hitting 55 cities, he is ending every show with the crowd pleasing Burn Down The Mission. He was always known for his record collection, they are quoting 5,000 albums, 2,500 45’s, 100 EP’s, 500 8 tracks & 300 cassettes. (I can remember them shutting down Tower Records in Hollywood just so he could shop undisturbed). This article was written prior to him coming out because he is asked about getting married & whether or not he gets the groupies. He says he doesn’t but Nigel has a different groupie in every city. He makes a statement that even though he is hot right now, he figures he has to get it all done in 3 years, after 3 years it’ll probably all go away.

Random Notes

Humble Pie were scheduled for a multi night gig at the Whiskey A Go-Go in Hollywood, unfortunately just hours after their first show the place caught fire & will be shut down for months.

Elvis is returning to The International in Las Vegas for a few weeks stand. His next album is going to be called Love Letters & will be released in the next few weeks.

Mark Andes & Jay Ferguson have left Spirit & formed a new band named Jo Jo Gunne.

Fleetwood Mac has replaced departing guitar player Jeremy Spencer with a San Francisco musician named Bob Welch.

Tiny Tim & Miss Vickie are the proud parents of a baby daughter.

Stevie Wonder
    is 21 & considering a change of management, though not a change away from the Motown label.

1,000 unlucky people that were unable to get into the sold out Long Beach Arena decided to riot. The group that sold out the place? Ten Years After.

A group that once went by the name of The Ivy’s has been signed to Apple Records & changed their name to Badfinger. Their first hit Come & Get It was written by Paul McCartney, it’s from the movie The Magic Christian starring Ringo & Peter Sellers.

There has been an epidemic of pirates stealing the TV airwaves in the early morning hours in Britian to run porno. The authorities are not amused.

Paul McCartney - Ram

The Rascals - Peaceful World

Steve Winwood - Winwood

Lee Michaels - Fifth

Ian Matthews - If You Saw Thro’ My Eyes

Edgar Winter - White Trash

Heads, Hands & Feat -

Argent - Ring of Hands

Chase -

The Last Poets - This is Madness

Album Reviews:

The 2 million hours they joke about taking to finish this record must surely have resulted in some uncertainty about what they wanted to hear. On the other hand, those earlier records always sounded as though they were recorded in a day. Obviously they can’t go back to that, but perhaps they have now gone to far the other way. If Sticky Fingers suffers from any one thing, it’s it’s own self defeating calculating nature. It’s moments of openness & feeling are too few…Jon Landau

Grand Funk Railroad - Survival
    It seems that we are all going to have to come to terms with Grand Funk. They may well be the most popular band in the world in spite of the fact that they have been almost universally panned by the press. Grand Funk is one of the few groups rising rapidly that do reflect the aspirations of their audience. Despite all that, their first 4 albums were almost uniformly awful, not just simplistic or unmelodic, but the sound was muddy.But Survival is something entirely different. All the songs are interesting, the playing & singing is free of sloppiness, clean, clear & often times subtle. Like them or not, & with this album, I do, very much, this is one band who’s success sparks not the least bit of resentment in their fans…Lester Bangs

Other albums reviewed:

Procol Harum - Broken Barricades

Mother Earth - Bring Me Home

Mott The Hoople - Wildlife

Buffy Ste. Marie - She Used to Wanna Be A Ballerina

Donny Hathaway

Jerry Reed - When You’re Hot You’re Hot

John Entwhistle - Smash Your Head Against the Wall

Jethro Tull - Aqualung

On Tour

Edwin Birdsong, Canned Heat, Alice Cooper, Elton John, Ides of March, John Mayall, Lee Michaels, Poco, Steppenwolf.

+ Reply to Thread