+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Re: Rock & Roll Historical Perspective

Happy New Year everybody. I hope 2010 is a good one for each of you!

Rolling Stone Issue 77

Dated March 4, 1971. Bob Dylan on the cover.

Random Notes:

Neil Young, Linda Rondstadt & James Taylor were recently in Nashville to tape a Johnny Cash special. While there Neil got into the studio & recorded 3 new songs including Heart of Gold & Old Man. They are set for his next album.

Aretha Franklin is back on the road again. She is scheduled for the Fillmore West in March. Her fee? $20,000 vs. 60% of the gate.

All 11 members of the Allman Brother entourage, have gotten identical 1” high mushroom tattoos, just below their right knees, while in San Francisco.

Taj Mahal, has returned to the US & is in the studio making a new album.

Paul McCartney has secretly been recording material for a new album for the past 4 weeks in New York.

Eric Burdon is making waves. At MIDEM, which is the music industry’s equivalent to the Cannes film festival, Eric & War were scheduled to perform for 15 minutes. However, he stretched & stretched it to over an hour & left a rather pissed off Elton John waiting off stage for so long that Elton called it quits & went to bed.

Tom Fogerty has departed CCR. He states frustration at not being able to provide more of a leadership for the band. At the time of this article the band has sold in excess of $30 million in albums. He admits that it may not be the most fiscally responsible move on his part to leave, but it’s not always about money.

The Doors are back in LA & working on a new album. Jim Morrison is interviewed, he is asked:
    What is the immediate future of the Doors?
    We’re kind of off playing concerts. I think we’ll do a couple of albums & then everyone will get off into their own things. I think Robbie would like to do a predominately guitar album & John has always been into Jazz. I’d like to write & direct a film.

Stephen Stills is also interviewed this issue:
    CSN&Y have just met for the last time, not to do anything on record but to split up the spoils of their work. They are all now millionaires, After the Gold Rush is set to make Neil even more wealthy, Stills first album will most likely do the same for him. Their 4 Way Street Live album has not been released yet, but great things are expected from it. The four are being called the richest Rock & Rollers in History.

He says that déjà vu by David Crosby is the best song on the second album & pretty much sums up everything.

When he talks about Rock, he says he is tired of the whole thing. There is almost no one he would like to go see live, but when pinned down he does mention that he likes Delaney & Bonnie, Aretha & Tom Jones. He does say he would pay to see Joan Baez & The New Riders Of The Purple Sage. He says he loves to play guitar with Dave Mason, so he adds him to the list.

Ads for groups or albums this issue:

Joy Of Cooking -

Bob Dylan - New Morning

Melanie - The Good Book

McDonald & Giles - This is the first album by these guys since they left King Crimson

The Chambers Brothers - New Generation

Sugarloaf - Spaceship Earth

Grace Slick & The Great Society

Soft Machine - Third

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Album Reviews:

Elvis Presley - Elvis Country
    It’s the singing, the passion & engagement which mark this album as something truly exceptional & not just an exercise in nostalgia. If Elvis can only be convinced now to put out an album of Blues, we’ll have in capsule a picture of the genesis of rock & roll & what first went into the makeup of one of it’s few authentic geniuses, this brilliant & all together original performer…Peter Guaralnick

Bee Gees - Two Years On
    It’s all just so incredibly blah. Two Years On looks to become the first Bee Gees album to be deemed to dull for adaptation by the Muzak folks….John Mendelsohn

Poco - Deliverin
    This is Poco’s third album & first Live album, which makes the other two almost superfluous. They are infinitely more exciting & competent in this version. Poco will always be better off keeping away from studios & on the live performance stage. Timothy B. Schmidt is the new bassist & second lead vocalist, Rusty Young should soon gain the same admiration from the public that fellow musicians express when he plays dobra & steel guitar. Jim Messina has left the band since this album to concentrate on solo projects, but he has been replaced by Paul Cotton, coming over from Illinois Speed Press. It makes a city boy smile…Stu Werbin

Jesus Christ Superstar
    It’s quite a feat. I enjoyed it right away, however such an attempt is bound to have a lot going for & against it. My guess is that despite it’s limitations it’ll have enough clout to bail out this sagging musical period in the minds of many of us rockheads who’ve been sitting around waiting for something great to happen. This is it…Jack Shadoian

Other albums reviewed:

Jimmy Webb - Words & Music

Don Nix - In God We Trust

Yoko Ono - Plastic Ono Band

Jo Mama

Don Everly

Teegarden & Van Winkle - Westbound

Spirit - 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus

Subscriptions are now $8 for 24 Issues, but if you subscribe now, they will send you a free copy of Tumbleweed Connection.

[QUOTE=razorbacker;3780580;]Happy New Year everybody. I hope 2010 is a good one for each of you!

[B]Stephen Stills is also interviewed this issue:[/B]
    CSN&Y have just met for the last time, not to do anything on record but to split up the spoils of their work. They are all now millionaires, After the Gold Rush is set to make Neil even more wealthy, Stills first album will most likely do the same for him. Their 4 Way Street Live album has not been released yet, but great things are expected from it. The four are being called the richest Rock & Rollers in History.

He says that déjà vu by David Crosby is the best song on the second album & pretty much sums up everything.

When he talks about Rock, he says he is tired of the whole thing.
    There is almost no one he would like to go see live, but when pinned down he does mention that he likes Delaney & Bonnie, Aretha & Tom Jones. He does say he would pay to see Joan Baez & The New Riders Of The Purple Sage. He says he loves to play guitar with Dave Mason, so he adds him to the list.

Thanks, Razor for posting these, as always.
    Had to laugh at Stephen Stills' comments above - in light of the fact that I saw CSN in concert last summer.
    I guess he's no longer as tired of performing.
    What a difference 40 years can make!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

A friend of mine went to that same tour you mentioned & he said that Stills could hardly sing anymore. I'm sure it had to do with the cocaine rotting away his nasal passages.

Rolling Stone Issue 78

Dated March 18,1971. Muhammad Ali on the cover.

Random Notes:

James Taylor is beginning a 27 date tour of the US, beginning in Hartford Ct. And his next album is in the final stages, tentatively titled Mudslide Slim & The Blue Horizon. Brother Livingston has presold a weeks worth of appearances at the Troubador in LA, weeks prior to the shows.

Paul McCartney has just recorded 21 new songs & did it in an 8hr. Session in NYC. First new single is to be Another Day, written with wife Linda Eastman.

T. Rex
    has left Blue thumb records & signed with Warner Brothers. Warners has also recently signed Jennifer Warren, Mother Earth, John Hartford & producer Terry Melcher.

Meanwhile Capitol Records have signed The Move & Leo Kottke. Jerry Corbett (ex Youngbloods) & Charley Daniels will be producing albums for each other also for Capitol.

The Bee Gees had a 2 night engagement in Santa Monica. The auditorium seats 2880. The first night they sold only 2200, but the next night was even worse as only 600 showed up.

The package tour is becoming all the rage. The latest to team up are The Grease Band, Savoy Brown & The Small Faces. 3 bands, 1 entry price.

Fleetwood Mac had to cancel opening night of their tour in LA due to the disappearance of guitar player Jeremy Spencer. He left the hotel with $200 in his pocket headed to the grocery store. He was found a couple days later living in a mission with a bunch of religious fanatics named Children Of God. At this point he was dismissed from the band & ex member Peter Green rejoined but only to complete the remaining dates of the tour.

Jerry Lee Lewis has just spent the night in jail in Ft. Worth. It just so happens that there was a warrant for his arrest due to his failure to appear in a Dallas night club, 11 years ago.

Frank Zappa in support of the 200 Motels project was to have appeared at the Royal Albert Hall in London, but the Hall cancelled him at the very last minute claiming Zappa to be Obscene.

Jackson Browne is in London to begin recording his first album. Backup musicians lending a hand include Leon Russell, Jim Keltner, Carl Radel, Jim Gordon, & Albert Lee. Production will move to LA where he will be joined by David Crosby & Laura Nyro.

Emerson Lake & Palmer

IF - 2 (progressive rock giants from England)

B.B. King - Live a at the Cook County Jail

Carly Simon - Carly Simon

Jimi Hendrix - The Cry Of Love

Cold Blood - Sisyphus

Album Reviews:

Chicago -III
    III while it contains weaknesses that have dragged them down in the past, is the best thing that they have done & even succeeds as entertainment by de-emphasizing the long solos & concentrating on solid songs & gimmicks, which, while they smack of Hollywood are fun to listen to at that level….Lester Bangs

Faces - Long Player
    We all have reason to be a trifle disappointed with LP for, consistently good casual fun & occasionally splendid though it may be, it’s by no stretch of the imagination going to save anybody’s soul or even rescue the FM Airways from the clutches of the increasingly cloying items as Elton John….John Mendelsohn

Mountain - Nantucket Sleighride
    This isn’t really a bad album, but it’s hardly a leap forward for Mountain. Those who dug Climbing (I did) will find little new to dislike. It’s more a case of treading water…George Kimball

Tower of Power - East Bay Grease
    This is simply a fine, funky album. Makes me want to get up off of my chair. Or in the words of Archie Bell, “Lemme put this hamburger down.” I don’t want no malt, I wanna dance…Vince Aletti

Other albums reviewed:

Cold Blood - Sisyphus

B.B. King - Live in Cook County Jail

Free - Highway

MacDonald & Giles

McGuiness Flint

Sky - Don’t Hold Back

Booker T & The MG’s - Melting Pot

Joy of Cooking

Anne Murray - Snowbird

Dion - You’re Not Alone

Albums Expected in the near future.

A second asylum choir album is scheduled (Leon Russell & Mark Benno) & around the same time the second Leon Russell solo effort is scheduled.

A new one from The Grease Band with Henry McCullough on lead guitar is in the final stages of production.

Dan Hicks Live

Gabor Szabo

If anyone is still reading this thread, I'm working on the RS stuff, but in the meantime I wanted to turn you on to a website I was just alerted to. You may have heard of it but I hadn't. So, go to:

Performers - Free streaming live music, Live concert recordings, Live music downloads, Classic rock concerts

It is free, you do have to sign up though. This guy has literally thousands & thousands of hours of live concerts. You can find almost anyone that interests you. I just listened to a Black Oak Arkansas show from 1976 in London & boy were those guys were as great as I remember them.

Check it out & enjoy.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3826509;
    If anyone is still reading this thread, I'm working on the RS stuff, but in the meantime I wanted to turn you on to a website I was just alerted to. You may have heard of it but I hadn't. So, go to:

Performers - Free streaming live music, Live concert recordings, Live music downloads, Classic rock concerts

It is free, you do have to sign up though. This guy has literally thousands & thousands of hours of live concerts. You can find almost anyone that interests you. I just listened to a Black Oak Arkansas show from 1976 in London & boy were those guys were as great as I remember them.

Check it out & enjoy.
    Thanks for all the hard work! I do so enjoy the stroll back down memory lane...

This is not from the journalistic historic perspective, but it is pretty historic to me :

Chicago played for the concert park date for Jake and Ali on the Bachelor this season, and of course The Who played the half time at the Super Bowl which is pretty big gig for those two original fellows.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

MRD

I'm still reading and still very much enjoying and thank you for taking the time to do this.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm with MRD and Bloomers on this, Razor!!

Totally enjoy reading this and am indebted to you for all the time you put in on it.
    Thank you, also, for the heads up on that Website.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 02-13-2010 at 04:27 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Rolling Stone Issue 79

Dated April 1, 1971. The Greening of Nicholas Johnson on the cover.

Random Notes

The manager for Sly Stone has filed a $250,000 law suit against the singer for for back commissions & loans.

The husband of Joan Baez is scheduled to be released from prison after serving nearly 2 years on Draft Evasion charges.

Elton John is scheduled for 2 months worth of concerts in the US. His first extensive tour of US auditoriums.

March 19th is the due date for the next Jethro Tull album. It is being billed as having an anti religious theme & will be titled Aqualung.

Elvis has just been in the studio & recorded a song called In The Ghetto.

Carole King has a new album called Tapestry set for release.

Led Zeppelin are denying rumors of their impending break up.

On the other hand, we are definitely seeing the end of Iron Butterfly.

The Allman Brothers recently performed 2 sets at a benefit to help someone that needed a kidney transplant. The shows raised the needed $30,000 in just one evening.

James Taylor & Carole King have been touring the NE corridor together. He is out to support his next album Mud Slide Slim.

The plug was recently pulled on a performance in NY by The New Riders of the Purple Sage when a bomb threat was called in to the auditorium.

In his floral patterned velvet midi gown, & cosmetically enhanced eyes, in his fine chest length blond hair & mod nutty engineers hat that he bought in the ladies hat section of a San Francisco dept. store, he is ravishing. Almost reminiscent of Lauren Bacall, although he would rather be thought of as the latter day Garbo. He is relatively unfamiliar to the audience that has shown up at an LA press event to celebrate the release of his album The Man Who Sold The World. His name is new, but David Bowie may make an impact in the future.

After spending 3 months in the hospital with TB, & restarting his career, after seeing his song There Goes My Baby become a hit for The Tremeloes, Cat Stevens is finally achieving mega success himself. His album Tea For The Tillerman is selling well & his single Wild World is all over the radio.

Buddah records has filed a $25 million lawsuit against Paramount, charging the latter with inducing Melanie to break her contract with Buddha & move on.

Barbra Streisand - Stoney End

Bee Gees - 2 Years On

The Last Poets - This Is Madness

The Grease Band - Lubrication

Spirit - The 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus

Blues Image - Red White & Blues Image

Denny Doherty - Whatcha Gonna Do?

Buffy St. Marie - She Used to Wanna Be a Ballerina

Rita Coolidge -

Trapeze - Medusa

Album Reviews:

Jimi Hendrix - The Cry of Love
    The Cry Of Love is the genuine article. Hendrix’ final effort, & it’s a beautiful, poignant, testimonial, a final coda to the career of a man who was clearly the finest electric guitarist to be produced in the 60’s. This album seems more complete than the album Janis left us with, but like Pearl, it too seems foreshortened, a venture caught in the process of becoming & suddenly halted. The fact that the album is as good as it is must serve as a reminder as to just how large looms the shadow of it’s creator…Lenny Kaye

Captain Beefheart - Mirror Man
    The Captain still plays to a relatively minor following but they all believe, as I do, that he is one of 4 or 5 unqualified geniuses to rise from the hothouses of American music in the 60’s, an innovator who’s instinctive synthesis & wildly original approach to composition & improvisation preview an era of profound changes in popular music….Lester Bangs

Carly Simon
    Carly sings mostly songs she has composed herself, ballads, narative songs, even a soft shoe number. The music is lovely, but what makes this album exceptional is it’s subject matter. Like very few recent records, it strikes close to a lot of middle class homes…Timothy Crouse.

Barbra Streisand - Stoney End
    I’m a little disappointed. Stoney End runs hot & cold, some of the cuts are really dynamite, & some are holdovers from the days of musical comedies. The album shows that she can sing, & could be relevant, but I don’t expect droves of rock fans to rush out & buy it, but I would be surprised if they hated it…Alec Dubro

Other albums reviewed:

Neil Diamond - Gold & Taproot Manuscript

Seatrain - Seatrain

Tony Joe White - Tony Joe White

The Raiders - Greatest Hits Vol. II

The Hollies - Moving Finger

Zephyr - Going Back to Colorado

Blues Image - Red White & Blues Image

Larry Coryell - Spaces

Townes Van Zandt - Our Mother the Mountain, Poppy & Delta Momma Blues are all reviewed as a group.

Peter Green - The End of the Game

For the cost of $8 you get 24 issues of Rolling Stone & a copy of Tea For The Tillerman

I thought this was pretty cool. Here is the first ten minutes of MTV the day it was launched. The music industry was changed forever.

YouTube - MTV LAUNCH FIRST DAY SATURDAY 12:01 am AUGUST 1st , 1981 1st hour Part 1

On August 1, 1981, at 12:01 a.m., MTV: Music Television launched with the words "Ladies and gentlemen, rock and roll," spoken by John Lack. Those words were immediately followed by the original MTV theme song, a crunching guitar riff written by Jonathan Elias and John Petersen, playing over a montage of the Apollo 11 moon landing.

+ Reply to Thread